Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 09-11-2013, 7:54 PM

Default seed questions

So I am looking at Sept. 21 and 22 in Sacramento. When I look at the sign up page it shows Saturday at 8:30 am and Sunday at 4:30, are these two separate events?
Also I am taking my daughter but I see men and women are separate, how is that gonna work? Just sign up for women's?
Lastly I am interested in buying the correct sling which are not expensive but everybody wants to screw you on shipping. I called the range to see if I could just buy them there but they did not answer the phone. Maybe the seed instructors have them for sale, is there a way of contacting them? Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
CGSSA Leader

We start at 8:30, every day. Plan to get there early to unpack and get signed in. 4:30 is probably the closing time.

You CAN sign up for just one day, but there's so much material that it's best to do the full weekend. If you can only attend one day, go Saturday for your first time. On Sunday everyone will be familiar with the program and it goes faster.

If your daugher is 18 or under she should sign up as a child, which is cheaper yet.

The sling we recommend -- provided you have 1 1/4" swivels, otherwise it won't fit -- is the M1 GI sling. It's not likely the range has them for sale. Instructors at the shoot might have some, but we are literally inundated with requests. I had a box of 20 from the CMP once and it was gone after only three classes... so I gave up trying to keep them on hand a long time ago. Your best bet if you want to avoid mail-order is to try a military surplus store.

Failing that, any sling is better than none. You don't have to use an M1 GI sling, it's just the best one. We've seen them all. You would be stunned at how many kinds of slings there are in the wild...

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:40 AM

I got a GI sling for around $20 at Action Military Surplus on Auburn. I went there and asked for one and they showed me some other slings. I wandered around the store and found them myself. The part that attaches to the swivel was very tight though so try to find one that doesn't look mashed.

If the CMP still has them that is the cheapest way to go. Not sure if there is still enough time to get one from them.
sling link
Old 09-12-2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intradubio View Post
If the CMP still has them that is the cheapest way to go. Not sure if there is still enough time to get one from them.
sling link
CMP is cheap, but often quite slow (weeks).
Old 09-12-2013, 4:27 PM

I ordered my m1 sling from ebay. Received it on the 3rd day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Web-Rifle-Sl...item58a3bb7d4e

And these swivels
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncle-Mikes-...item565afcc917

Last edited by msand951; 09-12-2013 at 8:58 PM..
Old 09-12-2013, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Try Bison Tactical for USGI slings...

http://www.bisontactical.com/
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-16-2013, 1:05 PM

Better yet, pick up your cotton USGI slings from the Appleseed store. Good price and quick service (not overnight but I got mine within a week). At that price they're not making much (if any) money on the slings, but hopefully they get enough to cover costs and perhaps a little extra (I hope, since I'm sure they can use the money).

$14.50 plus a few bucks for shipping, IIRC.

http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/

EDIT: Just read that the OP is looking for this weekend, so I'm not sure these would arrive in time. Still, good info for others.