Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Default Where to shoot in Humboldt county (along the coast)

Hey all.

I live in Riverside now, but I'm moving up to Arcata or Eureka this summer for school. I'll be going to HSU and I'm super excited.

Anyway I have a pistol range I go to out here and have some BLM to go shooting on which I love the most. Where will I be able to go shooting on some land up in the Humboldt county area?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 AM

My friends and I go out to the river bar in ferndale usually on Sundays. There is old west shootery they have a indoor range for handguns and then there's the somao gun club. Hit me up when you get up here, I can take you out and show you around. Ps humboldt is not a very gun friendly college, I wouldn't advertise you like guns much. And welcome
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 AM

River bar under fernbridge as referenced above is legal but theres certainly some ***-hats down there sometimes.

Redwood gun club in Manila is right out of Arcata and has 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges. No shotguns allowed unless you bring your own target backer, even then some range masters wont allow it.

Kevin's indoor is pretty good for pistols (Old West Shootery).

there's a private Range near the 13 mile marker of Hwy 299. It used to go to like 800 yards but since it changed management its kinda gone downhill and now I think it only goes to like 250 -400. Also, you have to be sponsored by a current member if you're not a member.

I'll PM you my favorite spot because It's fallen out of favor since the 1990's and I don't want it to get swamped again.
Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it.
Old 06-14-2013, 7:02 PM

I live south of Eureka. I head to Redwood Gun Club range every now and then. Like said above it depends who the range master is. I took my 12 gauge with slugs and they let be tear up a target backing but have seen others told no before. You can become a member there and not pay every visit if you have an NRA membership and pay their membership.

You can shoot up to .44 pistols calibers at Old West Shootery and can't shoot and AR15 or AK there unless you use frangible ammunition.

I need to get to know some of you guys above. We really need a real "Nor Cal/Redwood" area regional forum section on here. A lot of people with a lot of guns in our area.
Old 06-16-2013, 9:55 PM

Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
We really need a real "Nor Cal/Redwood" area regional forum section on here. A lot of people with a lot of guns in our area.
Old 07-29-2013, 9:17 PM

I'm a range master at Redwood Gun Club in Manila. Officially shotguns are limited to shotguns with front and rear iron sights or an optic and to slugs only and on the 25 and 100 yard ranges only. Unofficially, I've seen range masters OK shot on the 25 yd range for patterning if you bring your own backer. If you really want to shoot shotgun there are trap/skeet ranges in McKinleyville and Fortuna.

Long Prairie Gun and Archery Club (10 miles east of Blue Lake) is leased from a private company (Green Diamond) and they restricted the range to 400 yards a few years ago. Currently the 400 yard is closed until the lead abatement plan is implemented.

I heard just last weekend that a lot of the places in the mountains have been posted no shooting, I'm not sure who posted them or their authority to do so.

In my experience, I wouldn't shoot at Fernbridge. Maybe if I was the only group there. Maybe.
Old 09-09-2013, 7:56 PM

The only local place I don't see listed above is Fortuna Pistol Club. Open to the public Monday and Wednesday nights 7-9pm, $5 for non-members to shoot. It's in Rohner Park, a little tricky to find... from the park entrance, essentially just keep driving straight until you run out of pavement at the back end of the rodeo grandstand.

You'll find info on various local ranges at

I'd also recommend being a little careful at Fernbridge. About 95% of the people there are cool, it's the other 5% that are the worry. Four times this year I've taken down targets that had been set up above the top of the bank (nothing at all behind them except a few scraggly little sapling trees), always at the closest station to the bridge.
Old 09-12-2013, 5:19 AM

Be careful @ Fernbridge! Last time I was there to ride the moto track,two groups of geniuses were sharing a berm(made of river rocks) from opposite directions with hunting rifles

Be very wary of 80% builders and amateur reloaders @ Samoa(I suppose that goes for any public range these days....)
I don't like public places anymore. Too many new gun owners without proper safety practices.

I'd share my not so secret BLM spots, but I'm sick of picking up other peoples shot up rubbish.

BLM use is a privilege, it's up to us to make sure it isn't closed due to improper use.
Old 09-13-2013, 7:59 PM

Funny, I've never encountered anyone else at the river bar. I don't shoot rifles down there though, pistol and shotgun. Usually lots of trash though. If I bring stuff to shoot(usually like 2l soda bottles and the like.. fill em with water and set those up) I take it with me when I leave. Usually enough junk that others left behind.

Last time I found a washing machine lid, and the time before that I swear it was a toilet bowl...