Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef View Post
Not to be Mr. Doom-n-Gloom here, but if this passes, will it be illegal to drive to Nevada to buy ammo to avoid getting a friggen permit? How about importing it, say by having a friend from Utah out on vacation bringing me a few thousand rounds? I haven't read anything on that in the bill.
It looks like it will be illegal and since it crosses state lines the punishment is increased, that is if the state can prove it. Their intention is to ban guns and ammo, before they can do that they need to be able to locate them all first.
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 05-21-2008, 3:37 PM

The list of and phone #s are Assembly Members on the Assembly Appropriations Committee

I doubt that you need to say anything more than

"Hi my name is______ and I am calling about the ammunition bill AB2062."

They will say something and you say:

"I want the Assembly Member ________to know that I am ADAMANTLY OPPOSED TO AB2060 AND ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES IT."

They will take your name and what city you live in but just because you don't live in their district doesn't mean they are not counting your opinion. These are the Appropriations Committee Members and they need to hear from you.
It took me all of 15 minutes to call every Dem and most Repbs and say the above. If you want to add anything to it you might suggest that they should spend their time, energy and your tax dollars fixing the woeful economy in CA instead of restricting your 2nd amendment rights.
Old 05-21-2008, 3:44 PM

OK, I just finished my round of calls this afternoon. The folks at Sharon Runner's office were hilarious--I got the word "oppose" out and the lady on the other end of the line interrupted me and said "let me guess, AB2062?" We both had a good laugh, and then she was very clear that Assemblymember Runner was strongly opposed to the bill.
Old 05-21-2008, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjmg View Post
I just called down the list again. You guys have to keep the calls going.

*From talking to a couple of the call takers, it seems as though most calls are ignored if you are not in there district (zip code)*
Will google zip codes.

Taking all posts and advive into account. Most libraries have phone books for all of CA. One could get name and adress and the flubb the # - many asked author of bill. I will get this dailed - most phone books don't have zip codes but criss/cross directories do. Can inmatate different styles of voice including asian.

The two gun stores gave out some copies but did not need more yet.

***This DOES NOT constitute GOOD or SANE legal - professional gunsmithing - psychiatric MD - tax - accounting -gardening advice. Please contactact qualified a professional in their repective specialties.*** AWHHH go ahead and mix match specialities that could be funny!!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 5:44 PM

What time is the vote tomorrow?

Join The NRA

"America is at that awkward stage. It’s too late to change the system from within, yet too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolf

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -Mahatma Gandhi
Old 05-21-2008, 8:21 PM

(On driving out of state to purchase and import ammo...)

Quote:
It looks like it will be illegal and since it crosses state lines the punishment is increased, that is if the state can prove it.
I could have missed it, but I see no provision which makes it illegal to import ammunition for personal use... therefore, driving out of state to purchase ammunition would be legal.

It's still an extremely stupid (and badly written) bill...
Old 05-22-2008, 8:31 AM

Keep up the calls!

We should be posting these alerts in all sub-forums. Most people do not even come into the 2a forum. Anytime there is a vote comming up I propose we cross link in each subforum, from the welcome forum to the for sale forum.
Old 05-22-2008, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Apparently they're getting bombed pretty heavy. The last two calls I've made guessed automatically that I was calling about it AND that I was opposed! Something must be getting through to these folks.
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 05-22-2008, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_special View Post
(On driving out of state to purchase and import ammo...)

I could have missed it, but I see no provision which makes it illegal to import ammunition for personal use... therefore, driving out of state to purchase ammunition would be legal.

It's still an extremely stupid (and badly written) bill...
Likewise. I see no language talking about ammo purchases out of state, or importing, or anything like that. As far as I can tell, the bill requires a permit to buy ammo INSIDE California over 50 rounds a month..it doesn't say i can only buy from within the state..they'd have to outlaw importation of ammo..which I'm sure is next if they gave it any real thought...

Cabela's west of Reno will be busy i imagine!..if this passes. Has anyone gotten Arnold's take on this..since ultimately he gets to pass or veto it if it makes it's rounds successfully?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I had to run outside to cover my grill... We had an unexpected MONSOON HERE.... Now that Im back I will get back on the phones...

GIVE THEM NO REST TIL THEY LEAVE US ALONE!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDad View Post
I had to run outside to cover my grill... We had an unexpected MONSOON HERE.... Now that Im back I will get back on the phones...

GIVE THEM NO REST TIL THEY LEAVE US ALONE!

Ooops, disregard me PM!
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So I've read the entire report from today and don't see any decision?!?!?

ETA: It's a committee decision and won't know the outcome for about two more hours

Last edited by hill billy; 05-22-2008 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

So this would effect handloaders... I can't buy balls for my smoke pole? I've called all my locals...even before I found this fine gathering of California arms supporters... but in Oakland... I have no respect for my elected representatives and doubt they will change much... and I have voted in every election since I came of age...38 years ago. This is an important fight. We should fight it with all we have...hmmm never thought of impersonating an asian housewife from Daly City... Who's tag line says if you are in a fair fight ... examine your tactics.
take care
Mike
Old 05-22-2008, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Good grief, listening to the audio for the committee waiting for this is driving me bonkers!
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Old 05-22-2008, 1:38 PM

I sent faxes to all members on Tuesday, and decided to do some calling today, but the lady from Leno's office sounded a bit annoyed and said they are in session. Is there any point to continue calling?
Old 05-22-2008, 1:42 PM

Default AB 2062 passes!

it will be heavily amended and passed
Old 05-22-2008, 1:43 PM

It passed with some ambiguous amendments, anyone know what the amendments were?

"[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table."
Old 05-22-2008, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysmanifesto View Post
it will be heavily amended and passed
What is the difference between A and B roll call?
Old 05-22-2008, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

This is just for handgun ammo only right? If it affects rifle re-loads too I'll be pissed.
Old 05-22-2008, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87 View Post
This is just for handgun ammo only right? If it affects rifle re-loads too I'll be pissed.
We should all be pissed no matter what. ANY ban on ANY ammo is an unconstitutional infringement on our Second Amendment Right!
--Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2008, 1:55 PM

Did it pass a full vote, or just the committee? Even if it passes the assembly, it would still have to pass the senate and get Schwartzenegger's signature, right?
Old 05-22-2008, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Committee. And we still have time to convince the legislature that this bill is ill timed due to the state budget crisis, and that even if CA had the money, the legal fights over this bill would be a huge drain of taxpayer money when itis known even now that the bill is flawed and will face an automatic court case. (Internet sales)
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-22-2008, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87 View Post
Incremental steps until we're left with nothing.
Old 05-22-2008, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoftheRepublic View Post
We should all be pissed no matter what. ANY ban on ANY ammo is an unconstitutional infringement on our Second Amendment Right!
Yes, between CA. and a negative ruling from the SCOTUS, and pretty soon gun collections are going to be worthless.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 05-22-2008, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepshowal View Post
What is the difference between A and B roll call?

A Rollcall: unanimous AYE
B Rollcall: Dems Aye, Reeps no
Old 05-22-2008, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

lol. I'm not saying I;m not upset over the pistol ammo issue. I am about to drop a lot of $ on reloading equipment. I'll be really pissed if it affects all reloading.
Old 05-22-2008, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

I was just wondering how would they even be able to enforce this law?
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 05-22-2008, 4:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombinghamthegreat View Post
Old 05-22-2008, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They can't. When the time comes I'll get into reloading. I'm already saving my brass.
Old 05-22-2008, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

What part of VOTE NO didn't these people understand?!
Old 05-22-2008, 5:28 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

It seems pretty obvious to me, that unless we collectively as gun owners make ourselves seen and heard through large demonstrations, picket signs, and all peaceful manors of opposition to such laws, which will attract media attention, our voices will not be listened to.

That includes the National level, as well as, the local level.

Of course that would require organization, participation, time, money, and effort. I am waiting for one of the major pro gun organizations to announce, organize, and hold local protests throughout the State(s), counties and cities concerning our rights, or lack of, and our elected representatives not listening, or supporting the constituents they serve, or upholding the Constitution.

We'll see just how committed these gun rights organizations, and gun owners are when, and if this happens.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 05-22-2008, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

What surprised me the most was that the NRA Members' Councils of California status page wasn't updated in time to notify everyone that the bill had been taken out of the suspense file. Let's hope they get around to updating it to indicate that it has been approved by committee and is on its way to the general assembly.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 05-22-2008, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin2 View Post
What part of VOTE NO didn't these people understand?!
What part of gerrymandering don't you understand? They have nothing to fear from voters opposed to their views, so they just ignore us and do whatever they please.
Old 05-22-2008, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
What part of gerrymandering don't you understand? They have nothing to fear from voters opposed to their views, so they just ignore us and do whatever they please.
Agreed...
Old 05-22-2008, 6:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Ditto ! (Democrats dominate so you surely mut mean Democrats ?)
Old 05-22-2008, 6:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
Incremental steps until we're left with nothing.
Until the Left leaves us with nothing !
Old 05-22-2008, 6:30 PM

damn it. This s***s back again? WTF do we need to do to make those Aholes listen?!
Old 05-22-2008, 6:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjperl View Post
damn it. This s***s back again? WTF do we need to do to make those Aholes listen?!
Not vote like Irvine California Soccer Moms DURING THE NEXT ELECTIONS !
Old 05-22-2008, 6:54 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
So what would be the law for buying ammo out of state and bringing it in here?

You would be importing ammo and in violation of the law.
Old 05-22-2008, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

I'm confused. I thought today was the vote. Whats going on? Any news yet?