Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Default For you lapd guys

Hello, I'm currently in the hiring process for lapd and had a couple questions for you guys. I want a carear in LE so i am serious about the process and do everything I can to better my chances. I have applied to several other agency's around me.

1. I plan to go to caps to help withy physical fitness. I am already in pretty good shape I run often and do jiu jitsu and crossfit when I can. My question is does background really look at who goes to caps and who doesn't? I plan on going anyways just curious if it does help.

2. How fast does the hiring process work? When I took my written the officer said from the date of the written it is roughly anywhere from six months to a year until you get an academy date. I turned in my PHS two weeks ago tomorrow and hope to hear back soon. I was honest on my PHS and all my other PHS all match up.

3. What can I do to better my chances? I currently have an AA in CJ and I stay out of trouble and don't do anything bad, I don't drink and drive or anything along those lines.

Also how does the department feel about military reserves? Will they still take applicants if they are in the reserves but still have a couple years left on their contract?

Thank you guys any other info you want to pass along or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2013, 7:19 AM

Just wait it out and see.
As long as you are honest on your PHS, as you should be, just wait.

I know you can get antsy waiting but they say "no news is good news" bc they should still be working on your packet.

Continue to stay out of trouble, you'll do fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 8:20 AM

Ok thank you? Does the poly have a set question list or do they pull it off of your PHS?
Old 08-29-2013, 8:53 AM

Well, about all that I can't give you an answer for is #1. I don't know if they give caps any weight, but I'm sure that it would help you IF you make it to the academy.

#2: The current hiring process, as far as I know, is as you said, about 6 months to one year. That can change, and it often does, according to manning requirements. For instance, it was taking 2+ years at one time, and I think that some had a 4+ year wait. On the other end of the scale, I joined the LAPD February of 1971....and I had applied in December of 1970. Yep, only 2 months!

#3: It sounds like you're good to go with what you've already accomplished. You might think about furthering your education by enrolling in something other than CJ, though. That always sounds good at oral interviews, since they WANT you to further your education and advance.

As far as reserve military service, the LAPD actually "boasts" about the number of reservists within the ranks. Their monthly publication, "The Blue Line", even has a section in it that covers officers that are in the reserves. When I went in, I had completed a full 4-year military commitment, and actually received bonus points for it. Don't know if they still do that.

The thing about working in a large metropolitan police agency, such as the LAPD, is that it's much less "political" than most of the smaller agencies. Also, since the City of Los Angeles is so large, you can work just about wherever you want....in the North end of the valley, the South end at the Port of L.A., the West side where it's somewhat "posh", the East L.A. area, or parts in-between. Most of my 31 years was done in the West L.A./Venice/LAX area, but I also spent quite a few years in the Harbor and South/Central.

I tested for the LAPD and LASD, and passed all phases of both testing procedures with "flying colors". The LAPD was hiring at the time....and the LASD took 6 months before they called and said that they wanted me. I was already in the LAPD academy by that time, so I stayed. I'm glad that I did because, back then, a "rookie" Deputy was looking at a mandatory assignment in the county jail for a minimum of 2 years. I knew a lot of Deputies that got stuck in the county jail for more than 4 years....before being reassigned to patrol duties, and became "rookies" all over again!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Thank you X answered all my questions. I woul like to further my education eventually I know that I will need it down the road and AA isn't that big now a days. I'm just at the point that I want to start my career and I had been focusing on trying to get my foot in the door before I furthered the education.