Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-18-2013, 7:34 AM

Default Anyone have a fix for 10/22 jamming

I have an older 10/22 maybe 25yrs old and it stove pipes every five rounds or so , my buddy has a 10/22 3yrs old and it does the same thing . Turns out after searching the internet this is a major problem with the 10/22 . Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
Yes I completely striped the rifle down and cleaned it , same jamming after .
Old 07-18-2013, 7:34 AM

Try different ammo.
Old 07-18-2013, 7:38 AM

Try new mags

NRA Member
Old 07-18-2013, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Ammo- some 10/22s will only reliably feed certain types... Buy small boxes and try all the brands you can find.

Is it stock? Changing out the extractor may help... But being finicky with ammo is the main prob for many of these rifles..

Sent from a deserted island using a message in a bottle....
Old 07-18-2013, 7:44 AM

Ammo and mags is my first suspect! My 10/22 is about the same age. I had the occasional stove pipe, and scrubbed the heck out of the inside of the extractor and that cleared up the problem. The gunk was packed inside the bend in the extractor preventing a solid pull on the spent round stripping it out of the chamber.
Old 07-18-2013, 7:46 AM

Rifle is totally stock except for new sights . I am using the 10 rd ruger mags.
Old 07-18-2013, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
I have an older 10/22 maybe 25yrs old and it stove pipes every five rounds or so , my buddy has a 10/22 3yrs old and it does the same thing . Turns out after searching the internet this is a major problem with the 10/22 . Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
If you are willing to invest a bit more cash in your gun, consider Kidd aftermarket action parts. Their charging handle comes with a set of springs so that your gun can be better tuned for a particular ammo velocity.
Another problem may be the extractor - see if the bolt is clean and the extractor moves freely. Consider the complete bolt assembly from Kidd, it will improve the accuracy too.
http://www.coolguyguns.com
Old 07-18-2013, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
seasnake,

Try cleaning you chamber using an old 22 brush. Make sure your using high velocity ammo and not the standard. Last I'd remove the entire bolt and scrub down the entire bolt using Breakfree or Rem oil. Pay attention to underneath the extractor itself.

If that's doesn't help then I'd suspect your recoil spring is too weak and should be replaced along with another new mag. Sounds like your rifles just cycleing out of time a bit.

Good luck,

Mail Clerk
Old 07-18-2013, 8:29 AM

I had the same problem with cheap .22. My fix was multi part.
1) clean the rifle like an operating room and properly lube it.
2) add a few drops of CLP or w/e lube you prefer to a rag and wipe off tarnished ammo before shooting it.
3) use 1280fps or faster ammo.
4) clean the mags out and make sure they aren't worn out.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:04 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Replace the extractor with one from Kidd, Volquartson or Power Custom.
These will include a new spring with them.

For the old gun, the extractor and / or spring are worn out.
For the new gun, the tooling that makes the extractor is the same as the tooling that made the old gun's extractor, and the tooling is worn out.

Same fix for both guns.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:14 AM

As stated above, sounds like extractor or dirty mags. I bought one of these to help re-assemble the mags.

http://www.borelsports.com/shop/ruge...assembly-tool/

Replacement extractors can be found from several sources.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It sounds like the extractor is getting a bit long in the tooth. Volquartsen sells a much better quality replacement extractor for like $10, or you can drop in a bolt tune-up kit for $30.

You don't need this tool but it makes the job easier.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-18-2013, 9:20 AM
Pre-Banned
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A 10/22 that jams?? The solution is to spend a thousand dollars on every custom part you can come up with, and maybe still have a rifle that jams! :P jk. .22 ammo sucks sometimes, get the volquartsen extractor like everyone said, it'll rip those cases right out.
NRA Life Member

Old 07-18-2013, 9:24 AM

Also as suggested clean the mags.
My buddy had a brand new 10/22 that was 10 years old.
Thing jammed constantly. Put my mags in and it was fine. A quick cleaning of the stock ruger mags and it was back in action.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:24 AM

I currently have five 10/22's (it is a sickness for me) and have used this extractor in all of them:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363...mark-iii-22-45

It really helps improve extraction and is very easy to change out.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:28 AM
Dinosaur

The number one culprit with semi auto feed issues will almost always be magazines. That said, 22LR is notorious for fouling up magazines. Check for a how to video on youtube or somewhere and take appart and clean your mags.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:47 AM

I have cleaned the mags by just soaking the whole thing in mineral spirits and agitating them, and then using a blow dryer to evaporate the solvent. Maybe I used a toothbrush on what I could reach, and worked the follower a bit to move things around a little.

Simple, easy, and it worked. And fixed the FTFs.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure I would classify this problem as "a major problem with the 10/22" since there are millions of them out there and most are never cleaned. I always run the VQ or Kidd extractors but the odds are you just need to clean your rifle/mags.

The 10/22 is as reliable as it gets with a semi auto rimfire. I've personally fired at least 30k rounds through the ones I've had. And the only failures I experienced were with the long flat bullets used in Winchester 333/555 ammo occasionally not feeding correctly. I hope you can get the same enjoyment out of yours as I have mine!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Have a new 10/22 Takedown. It is a jamomatic. 9 new Ruger mags. Got a VQ extractor. Putting it in this weekend. Checked all the forums, Rimfire Central, Ruger, and some others and all issues see to be the extractor. It is a cheap fix. Part was only $10. Got a different mag release and a bolt release.
Hope this is the fix.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM

I l like to put a small lead angle on the bottom of the barrels chamber, then polish to a mirror. I've done this to all my 10-22 and a buck mark that normally didn't like cheep bulk ammo. Now they all run flawlessly
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Also as suggested clean the mags.
My buddy had a LIKE brand new 10/22 that was 10 years old.
Thing jammed constantly. Put my mags in and it was fine. A quick cleaning of the stock ruger mags and it was back in action.
Fixed it for you!
Old 07-18-2013, 2:24 PM

Going to buy a new extractor . I took the mags apart a couple of months ago and cleaned but that didnt work . Thanks for all the suggestions .
Old 07-18-2013, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought a new 10/22 stainless model in 1999. It was a POS. Failed to feed, eject & fire sometimes. It annoyed me, I rarely shot it. The firing pin spring was bent & installed backwards, from the FACTORY. I replaced my firing pin spring, extractor/spring, scrubbed the chamber & learned to disassemble & clean my mags. Get to know your gun, it WILL work better...

When shooting .22 with buddies, I normally shoot & laugh while they pick casings out with a screwdriver.

Last edited by SB1964; 07-18-2013 at 3:28 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 3:46 PM

My 10/22 is a few years old as well, and recently started jamming a lot... I already have a VQ extractor along with various upgrades. Thanks for the suggestions as well, I think I will have to clean the darn magazines, since I never have before.
Old 07-19-2013, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

KIDD, new mags, and new ammo.

This is the excuse for it.
Old 07-19-2013, 3:41 PM

This is typically a problem with some 10/22's the firing pin is just long enough (in some) to touch the barrel. It peens the mouth of the chamber a little causing extraction problems and eventually feeding problems. One quick way to check it is to lightly oil some rounds and shoot them. If they all feed it is either a rough chamber or most likely a burr from the firing pin hitting the side of the chamber mouth.

Our club has regular 22 tactical shoots in which most use 10/22's. our of 5 with this problem 4 had peened edges of the chamber.

Most times you really can't see the peened edge as it is just slight. But when you put in a gage pin, you can feel the resistance.

Just a personal observation from a 10/22 junkie.
Old 07-19-2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
I currently have five 10/22's (it is a sickness for me) and have used this extractor in all of them:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363...mark-iii-22-45

It really helps improve extraction and is very easy to change out.
DO THIS! I had a NIB 10/22 that I bought in 1998 with this problem. Put in the "Exact Edge" immediately and never had a problem since. Probably over 10,000 rounds by now.
Old 07-19-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
DO THIS! I had a NIB 10/22 that I bought in 1998 with this problem. Put in the "Exact Edge" immediately and never had a problem since. Probably over 10,000 rounds by now.
Not necessarily true. I put one of these in last year, and it started jamming as of late as well. Most likely the magazines, not sure yet.
Old 07-19-2013, 7:34 PM

Try different ammo. For some odd reason mine really likes golden bullets.
Old 07-19-2013, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

if you have a problem shooting cci mini-mags its a gun problem

if its a gun problem try a butler creek hot lips magazine if still a problem sell it and buy another gun

Last edited by bohoki; 07-19-2013 at 8:16 PM..
Old 07-19-2013, 8:49 PM

The 2 I have are older,with the walnut stocks.As a matter of fact the kind of beat up one was given to me when I turned 12.I am 52 now,so it had a 40th birthday.The other is at 30 years old.Having shot the living crap out of them,when I was young and sometimes now, when ammo is available.HAHA.
I learned to clean them real well.Like others have said the mags need it as well.
They will function with any type of ammo.Maybe I have been lucky.
They are both stock from factory and untouched.I use the factory mags.Maybe they are just getting broken in.
I would try what the first guy said.Different ammo.

Side note:I got some Remington Lightning out of Midway about a month ago.The bulk loose brick.
While shooting my new to me Colt Umarex M16,I had a round go off funny.It stuck the bolt hard and blew the extractor parts to kingdom come.It has been sent to Walther.
Shooting the same ammo,thinking the new gun was a pile.My S&W 22A had a funny sounder as well.This time the brass pieces stuck in my support hand thumb.That gun is fine.
Sorry to tag on here op.My point is ammo can be bad.Real bad.
Old 07-20-2013, 6:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was about to buy a 10/22 and after googling and searching on here, it seems that the 10/22's are not that great as most people say. I see MOST PEOPLE DO ALOT OF UPGRADES, to make them function flawless?

Please dont get all offended and attack me, Just curious because i want to buy one myself. But I was thinking maybe I will buy the Marlin model 60 tube fed.
Old 07-20-2013, 6:30 PM

I was experiencing the same jamming issues with my new 10/22 Takedown. After seeking some advice from some CalGunners and tinkering with it, problems still persisted. So after about 500 rounds without any improvement, back to Ruger it went.

Really have a hard time believing the mags will get dirty after shooting about 200 rounds through each. Not saying they won't foul up but I never had anyone tell me to clean the mags before (until now).
Old 07-20-2013, 6:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario View Post
I was about to buy a 10/22 and after googling and searching on here, it seems that the 10/22's are not that great as most people say. I see MOST PEOPLE DO ALOT OF UPGRADES, to make them function flawless?

Please dont get all offended and attack me, Just curious because i want to buy one myself. But I was thinking maybe I will buy the Marlin model 60 tube fed.
Hmm, I wouldn't say most people throw money at 10/22's just to get them functioning correctly. Considering how many there are out there that you never heard a peep about, that's not a huge concern. If anything, people spending money on "upgrades" has a habit of causing people to wonder why their 10/22 doesn't work right.

That being said, even though most 10/22's will function just fine, they're right on the edge of mediocrity when it comes to the trigger/bolt catch/mag release/charging handle/etc.(of course when you're talking about a $220 rifle, it's not going to be perfect, but ruger seems to refrain from making some simple and needed improvements).

That being said, for wanting to just buy a .22lr and leave it alone for the most part, I'd say get a marlin(have one). For that "I know I want to buy a money pit just for the hell of it" get a 10/22(have one too).

Last edited by Merc1138; 07-20-2013 at 7:00 PM..
Old 07-20-2013, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Replace the extractor with one from Kidd, Volquartson or Power Custom.
These will include a new spring with them.

For the old gun, the extractor and / or spring are worn out.
For the new gun, the tooling that makes the extractor is the same as the tooling that made the old gun's extractor, and the tooling is worn out.

Same fix for both guns.
I would go with this. I have a VQ or PC in mine; I forget, but I made a world of difference.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 07-20-2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1022 View Post
I was experiencing the same jamming issues with my new 10/22 Takedown. After seeking some advice from some CalGunners and tinkering with it, problems still persisted. So after about 500 rounds without any improvement, back to Ruger it went.

Really have a hard time believing the mags will get dirty after shooting about 200 rounds through each. Not saying they won't foul up but I never had anyone tell me to clean the mags before (until now).
I clean my mags religiously. Everyone I know does too, that's on every gun we shoot.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiferLance View Post
I clean my mags religiously. Everyone I know does too, that's on every gun we shoot.
^ ^ ^ +1

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 07-20-2013, 9:32 PM

Just send it to ruger. Their customer service is awesome.
Old 07-21-2013, 9:14 PM

remove trigger assembly, bolt, bolt handle and bolt buffer.

Polish the inside of the receiver housing with 1000+ grit sand paper. I use 1500 grit from PepBoys, I would have used 2000grit, but they were sold out.

I have a 2013 10/22 that used to choke on 2-4 rounds per magazine, often on the first shot. The insides felt a little factory rough, giving the bolt some resistance.

You could also try ammo that shoots 1200 fps or higher. I believe the blowback ejects the shell, and the extractor is really for removing live rounds.