Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-19-2013, 9:19 AM

Default Browning Medalist

Hi guys I have a guy that's willing to trade me one of these competition pistols for my go kart. He said it's manufactured in the 60's. I know nothing about them. Anyone have one? What price range do they go for and are they desirable to own as I plan to sell it if we do the trade. Are the laws the same for a vintage competition pistol as they are for handguns including 10 day waiting period?
Old 07-19-2013, 9:29 AM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

Can't help you much on price, except to say these are very well-made and well-designed pistols and desirable. (Check sales and auctions of them in GunBroker and GunsAmerica for SELLING, not ASKING prices--do a search of "sold items." That'll give you real-world value. You might also ask on the Browning forum at www.rimfirecentral.com).

If in good shape (check bluing, crown, bore, barrel tightness) and with original magazines, you won't have any problem selling one. It is a Browning design (not John Browning, one of his descendents--Val?), made in Belgium, with a removable barrel, that takes removable barrel weights for competition. Has the basic balance and grip angle of the old Colt Woodsman Match Target, plus improvements.

You should be able to check the serial number with Browning and find out if it is C&R qualified (made in 1963 or earlier), which makes it a little easier to sell in CA or nationally. Otherwise it has just the same regulations as any other modern handgun, including waiting period in CA.
Old 07-19-2013, 9:57 AM

Hey thanks so much!
Old 07-19-2013, 2:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent condition could bring as much as $1000 according to the 2013 Standard Catalog of Firearm's. They were made between 1962 and 1964 by FN. There were 4 different models built in Belgium, International Medalist, Second Model International Medalist 1977-80 (both worth less) Gold Line Medalist and the Renaissance Medalist 1962-74 ( Both worth considerably more) Even if they are older than 50 years with classifies as C&R, you still have to dros and 10 day jail.f
Old 07-21-2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBADRAT View Post
Excellent condition could bring as much as $1000 according to the 2013 Standard Catalog of Firearm's. They were made between 1962 and 1964 by FN. There were 4 different models built in Belgium, International Medalist, Second Model International Medalist 1977-80 (both worth less) Gold Line Medalist and the Renaissance Medalist 1962-74 ( Both worth considerably more) Even if they are older than 50 years with classifies as C&R, you still have to dros and 10 day jail.f
I think you meant 1964 to 1974...I found a LNIB example earlier this year.Gun looks unfired and has the presentation box will all accys..I paid $1,200 for it...Top of the scale,but a pristine example. How does it shoot? I dont know...cant bring myself to de-virginize this one.If I want to shoot 22s,I'll take out the Model 41.
To answer the OPs question,If his medalist is in great shape,without all the box and orig goodies,Its still probably worth $600 or more.