Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Pay Attention

It's not very common news, but it's out there. It's impossible for Goverment to hide it, but it can be under reported. I consider it no immediate threat, but ipay attention to stories on them.

Right now in Alaska 2 valocanos are erupting. One of them was causing flight issues a few weeks back. That means its ash crowd is likely 30k feet. In Mexico over 40 flights impacted today due to a third eruption. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americ...311929577.html

And if you think it's no big deal search the summer that never was 1816. It's already happened once and it's likely every few hundred years. These are small eruptions. One big one and CA or US food production could go haywire for six months or a year. How you think that's going to fly?
Old 07-06-2013, 8:19 AM

Yep... I've been noticing. Lots of activity along the pacific plate. What it means? Could be an issue.... I worry more about earthquakes as a result.
Old 07-08-2013, 8:04 AM
Banned

If I posted this............

I could only imagine the flaming I would get.
Old 07-08-2013, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

The TFH pictures would be epic.

There are more possibilities to be prepared for than most people realize. I'm also fairly certain the reality will be different than what we're expecting - but it usually is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

Old 07-08-2013, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks OP for the head's up on this.

Sure, the possibility of having a tangible impact on my life from a volcano in Alaska is small. However, that volcano could be an early-warning precursor to something bigger, such as more activity on the Pacific plate. Plate tectonics can have a very realistic chance of altering our lives here in CA where millions live on or near fault lines.

The point is not to run out and empty the stores of bottled water because a volcano in Alaska started spewing ash. The point is to be aware that there are so many things, big, little and seemingly irrelevant that can have an impact on the daily things we take for granted. Sure, this one may not, and that one may not, nor these, nor those... but eventually one of those little things is going to have an impact. There were people prior to Hurricane Katrina who were warned... a lot of those people had been through storms before, even hurricanes. The power was off a few days, then life got back to normal. Well, that's what they expected with Katrina. And it ended up being a bigger deal than they expected. Same with Superstorm Sandy. People along the coast had had storms before, and felt they would be able to cope. But Sandy was worse than expected. One of these days, the New Madrid fault is going to cut loose and it'll be a doozy. One of these days, Yellowstone is going to blow it's top. The sun is going to spew out a mass corronal ejection that will endanger the grid. Today, tomorrow? Probably not, but who knows?

The point is not to run around and panic at every announcement of something that could impact our lives. The point is to consider EVERYTHING that could possibly become an issue, and have a reasonable plan to deal with it. To do otherwise is just to stick your head in the sand and hope for the best. Even if your plans are generic "all purpose" disaster contingency preps, and not "volcano preps" and "earthquake preps" and "gamma ray burst preps" then you're still miles ahead of the average person. Taking note of news on volcanos and earthquakes and GRB's is just a reminder to check things, think things through again, and make sure you are doing what you can reasonably do to be ready "just in case".
Old 07-08-2013, 9:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

since the majority of us live in California to not be prepared at least a little bit for an earthquake is stupid.

IMO I have always viewed volcanos spewing ash into the atmosphere as a way of mother nature cooling the planet a little bit. it happened when the volcano in the Philipenes blew up. is this a way the planet will control it's climate on it's own I have no idea.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 07-08-2013 at 9:47 AM..
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM

I've already survived one volcano in my life time (Pinatubo), I'd like to reschedule the next...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Quote:

You have a history, my friend ... but you're cool with me, lol. Every group needs the "tenth man".

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Mexico (volacano is called el popo) is erupting, too, but it's a very normal eruption for that particular volcano. If you choose to see it as part of a pattern, however...

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-volcano...194903261.html

And flight cancellations do NOT mean 30k feet of ash cloud. This Mexican eruption also cancelled flights, and it only hit 10k. Many airlines have policies regarding this which are forced on them by their insurance companies.

When we were in Nicaragua around Christmas, the volcano down there was smoking pretty good. IIRC they evacuated some folks from some villages, but nothing ever came of it.

There's a reason it's called the "ring of fire". I'd be interested to know the average level of volcanic activity along the ring, with the standard deviation.

Last edited by speedrrracer; 07-08-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

We just need to appropriately fine the Volcanos under the Cap and Trade guidelines for CO and CO2 emission violations

To be a little bit serious- the Mt St Helen's eruption caused flights to be grounded around the world as aircraft sucked up volcanic dust that circled most of the atmosphere.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

It is another cycle the earth and universe goes through. I just hope it isn't the same cycle that destroys most of man kind like in the distant past.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 07-08-2013, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan08 View Post
I've already survived one volcano in my life time (Pinatubo), I'd like to reschedule the next...
Been there, done that.

Clark AB, RP 1988 - 1991

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 07-08-2013, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
It is another cycle the earth and universe goes through. I just hope it isn't the same cycle that destroys most of man kind like in the distant past.
now if it take out certain politicians while in session and get rid of those people by way of natural disaster i'm all for it.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-08-2013, 4:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Nah I enjoy your post as well

half of you here are weak and lame that will basically wind up being happy with .22 single shot pistols or single barrel shotguns..

Old 07-08-2013, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

The mexican volcano is already affecting life here in Ventura county. The soccer game between the vc fusion and puebla something or other from mexico had to be canceled because of it.

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 07-08-2013, 9:11 PM

I'd guess that the big volcano in Iceland that went off a year or two ago is responsible for the relatively cool weather we've had here and in Eurasia this year. Another few big ones and we might see the monsoons fail in India. North America produces enough grain that no one should starve anywhere in our neighborhood. Grain prices would start to shoot the moon and livestock producers would start culling their herds. I'd guess that we'd all be eating nasty tasting corn that would ordinarily be used for animal feed. China and anyone who imports food might be in a world of hurt tho. I'd guess that TS would HTF in more than a few overpopulated countries.
Old 07-09-2013, 7:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Default SHtF

If the US ended up under a cloud and could not produce the food it usually does for 6 months there would be starvation here. The chaos would be worse. Imagine the hour or the minute it was public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
I'd guess that the big volcano in Iceland that went off a year or two ago is responsible for the relatively cool weather we've had here and in Eurasia this year. Another few big ones and we might see the monsoons fail in India. North America produces enough grain that no one should starve anywhere in our neighborhood. Grain prices would start to shoot the moon and livestock producers would start culling their herds. I'd guess that we'd all be eating nasty tasting corn that would ordinarily be used for animal feed. China and anyone who imports food might be in a world of hurt tho. I'd guess that TS would HTF in more than a few overpopulated countries.
Old 07-09-2013, 9:23 AM

I totally forgot about the summer of 1816. Thx for the info
Old 07-09-2013, 3:20 PM

another one went off in Japan today, and the big one in Hawaii is getting angry
Old 07-09-2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
If the US ended up under a cloud and could not produce the food it usually does for 6 months there would be starvation here. The chaos would be worse. Imagine the hour or the minute it was public?
The world has around 60 days of grain reserves for 7 billion people at any one point in time. Assuming we have a third of that here in the us, that means 20 days for the global population or since we have only 5% of the planets humans, 20x20 = 400 days. 90% of our grain production goes for animal feed so there'd be the cullings. Additionally, not all of the CONUS would likely experience a lost growing season. California would likely stay relatively warm on account of the Pacific and Texas to the Carolinas would likely stay warm due to the Gulf Stream. New England and the Upper Midwest might see killing frosts in June and July but for the entire CONUS to freeze in summer I think the Yellowstone supervolcano would have to blow.

That being said, If too many more volcanoes start putting stuff in the air or Katla in Iceland goes, Ima doin the mother and father of all Costco/Sams Club/Smart & Final/Honeyville farms runs. The reason being is that my above analysis could always be wrong and I learned long ago in architecture school to not get married to any one design, hypothesis or viewpoint.
Old 07-10-2013, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Mind Set

I wouldn't begin to second guess your numbers. The point you made at the end is important to note that "mind set" of man kind. If people begin to even remotely "THINK" their food supply is in jeopardy - Costco is the place you want to have been - not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
The world has around 60 days of grain reserves for 7 billion people at any one point in time. Assuming we have a third of that here in the us, that means 20 days for the global population or since we have only 5% of the planets humans, 20x20 = 400 days. 90% of our grain production goes for animal feed so there'd be the cullings. Additionally, not all of the CONUS would likely experience a lost growing season. California would likely stay relatively warm on account of the Pacific and Texas to the Carolinas would likely stay warm due to the Gulf Stream. New England and the Upper Midwest might see killing frosts in June and July but for the entire CONUS to freeze in summer I think the Yellowstone supervolcano would have to blow.

That being said, If too many more volcanoes start putting stuff in the air or Katla in Iceland goes, Ima doin the mother and father of all Costco/Sams Club/Smart & Final/Honeyville farms runs. The reason being is that my above analysis could always be wrong and I learned long ago in architecture school to not get married to any one design, hypothesis or viewpoint.
Old 07-12-2013, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Been there, done that.

Clark AB, RP 1988 - 1991
Ditto, was on a WestPac and and had just left Subic Bay when she blew, ship pulled a 180 and back we went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 07-24-2013, 8:53 PM

The rise in earthquakes have been going on for a while they are increasing in the frequency and strength. A good way to prep is to understand the complexity of America. For instance an earthquake is not just being prepared for that its also being prepared for the lack of utilities if any are damaged in a major earth quake. Besides that you must also consider secondary problems from that. I.E. if the power is out to a nuke plant more than 5 weeks it will start to melt down if the fuel is not resupplyed and there will also be a shortage of workers for such plants as they also will be affected by the disaster. Basically prep for every contingency for the disaster. The main problem is America is too integrated. The power is needed for all utilities inculding gasoline. The worst is that our electrical grid is old and delapitated its over 60 years old and needs major refurbisments. Basically prep to live like its the 1800 or even the turn of the 19th centry where power wasnt widely avalible but sparsly.
Norman Thomas - "The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of "liberalism" they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing what happened.
Winston Churchill -We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. "
Old 07-25-2013, 2:12 PM

They say Yellowstone is overdue for a massive eruption.
Old 07-25-2013, 2:22 PM

I lived in Seward AK during one eruption( don't remember what volcano) in the 80's. The ash cloud was surprisingly heavy ( had to cover your nose and mouth while outside and no driving). Lasted a couple of days.
Old 07-25-2013, 3:17 PM

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...%3Dinteractive
Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Been there, done that.
Clark AB, RP 1988 - 1991
High five. "Station dito paray!"

Have a San Miguel on me tonight..
Old 07-26-2013, 6:15 PM
In Memoriam

Apparently the volcano got your link...

Quote:
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the requested URL the following error was encountered:

The following error was encountered:

Read Timeout

The system returned:

[No Error]

A Timeout occurred while waiting to read data from the network. The network or server may be down or congested. Please retry your request.
Footprint 4.8/FPMCP
Generated Sat, 27 Jul 2013 0255 GMT by 8.27.254.126 (Footprint 4.8/FPMCP)
Old 08-14-2013, 6:51 AM
Calguns Addict

It can't hurt but to be prepared. Although we might get the heart attack or flesh eating bacteria or the fatal car or a nuke power plant/oil well leak killing a third of the sea life on the earth. Life is fragile.