Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-23-2013, 3:57 PM

Default Fontana PD

Are there any Calgunners at Fontana PD or a surrounding department that has experience with Fontana cops? I've heard a lot of good things about that department and was wondering if anyone had any advice either way.

https://htpscourse.com/
Old 06-23-2013, 9:00 PM

Fontana PD is a great dept. Hard agency to get into. They are very proactive. They have a great Chief.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM

That's good to hear. I have a relative who has worked closely with officers from that dept on a number of occasions and I was told they love working there. I;ve heard the same about Ontario. Does anyone know of other departments in So Cal that are actively hiring? Especially vets?

Old 06-24-2013, 4:30 AM

http://post.ca.gov/law-enforcement-jobs.aspx
Old 06-24-2013, 7:01 AM
short bus driver

My friend is with Fontana PD.
He got hired on while he was putting himself through the San Bernardino County Sheriff Academy.
He says it's a good department and his police chief authorizes personal assault weapons for duty use.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-24-2013, 7:03 AM

I have a few friends in Fontana PD. Ive heard nothing but good things. I had my packet filled out for them but they had a hiring freeze.

US Army Combat Engineer 03'-08' 1st Cav
Old 06-24-2013, 7:06 AM

I've worked with them. I dont know anyone personally that works there. A buddy of mine failed their poly. Its a rough city to work in

Old 06-24-2013, 7:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_Dub View Post
Its a rough city to work in
This applies to just about every community. With Gov Brown authorizing the release of another 10,000 state inmates last week every communmity is just going to keep getting a worse element living in it.

To the OP....I worked at the Fontana Sheriff's Station for a couple years and those guys from Fontana PD were top shelf. They have the luxury of being an 'In demand' agency for applicants so they have a talented pool to choose from. If you want to apply there you need to be on top of your game to have any chance.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Last edited by retired; 06-25-2013 at 4:20 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 7:53 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Fontana is an interesting city with a great north side and a pretty rough south side. I bet the FPD gets a little of everything.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
This applies to just about every community. With Gov Moonass authorizing the release of another 10,000 state inmates last week every communmity is just going to keep getting a worse element living in it.

To the OP....I worked at the Fontana Sheriff's Station for a couple years and those guys from Fontana PD were top shelf. They have the luxury of being an 'In demand' agency for applicants so they have a talented pool to choose from. If you want to apply there you need to be on top of your game to have any chance.
Very true, our department has had 14 officer involved shootings so far in 2013, the calls for service are through the roof, and the staffing numbers at some stations would blow the general public away if they knew the police presence in their area.

Last edited by ls2monaro; 06-24-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses. Especially ls2morano for the good link (which I probably would have found pretty fast if I were smart enough to use Google...). The site says that they highly encourage veterans to apply, and I feel I have a decent resume. But then again, who doesn't?

Old 06-24-2013, 3:32 PM

Just dropped of the application at HR. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 AM

Got the invitation to the written/agility. Seems pretty straight forward, mostly stuff I've done before. Anything specific to watch out for? What catches people that they don't expect?

Old 06-29-2013, 6:26 PM

Wear business attire, fresh hair cut and clean shave, arrive early and act professional. Good luck and stay away from tickets.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanP. View Post
Wear business attire, fresh hair cut and clean shave, arrive early and act professional. Good luck and stay away from tickets.
To a written/agility?
Old 06-30-2013, 1:21 PM

It said there weren't any changing facilities and that we may wear athletic clothing to the written, as the agility portion is directly after the written tests are scored.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM

When I was in the process I had to take the written test first, then the agility test after I received an email that I passed. Sounds like the department is moving fast to hire, good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 3:19 PM

With written and PFT on the same day and expressly stated PT clothes are GTG...show up clean and functional. Hair cut, shave, clean PT's w/o graphics/slogans and keep your demeanor like you are wearing a suit.

There should be no "gotcha" questions or events. Deal with what is presented and don't read too much into anythng. In PFT, the evaluators are watching more than the stop watch so give your all. Don't be the guy to smoke the first 80-90% of the run then loaf across the finish line (even if you know you are ahead of the cut off), it sticks out in a negative way.
Old 07-09-2013, 6:51 PM

^THIS. Is good advice, thanks.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Thanks everybody for the advice. Today went really well. Just have to get the Background packet turned in.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM

So I have a question now. I have not ever been pulled over for DUI, but I have done it in the past. One of the background questions asks if I have EVER driven while under the influence. Is that going to be a big strike against me? Or do most departments allow that people make very very stupid mistakes?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbisquit View Post
So I have a question now. I have not ever been pulled over for DUI, but I have done it in the past. One of the background questions asks if I have EVER driven while under the influence. Is that going to be a big strike against me? Or do most departments allow that people make very very stupid mistakes?
Not necessarily. Every agency has their own policy on the subject. One factor they will consider is the amount of times you have done it and how long ago. If it was done when you were 18 and you are now 25 and only did it that one time, it probably would not be a factor. If it was something you did recently and did often in the past, you are not going to get hired. They would be looking at your maturity and judgement. They would also be considering any future liability you might present.

Be completely honest in answering the question because if not, you not only would be DQ'd for this dept., but your chances of being hired by any would be slim to none. One question depts. ask is have you applied to any other dept. They will contact that dept or depts. to ascertain why you weren't hired and will learn you lied. That is worse than what you lied about as it goes to your integrity and credibility.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM

My buddy had a Fontana officer in his DUI classes and he kept his job, so they have a little forgiveness I would think. Or maybe they want to avoid that and be more strict now idk.

Last edited by retired; 07-15-2013 at 1:10 PM.. Reason: mea culpa
Old 07-15-2013, 1:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
My buddy had a Fontana officer in his DUI classes and he kept his job, so they have a little forgiveness I would think. Or maybe they want to avoid that and be more strict now idk.
A person already a leo with a dui is a different subject than someone trying to get hired as a leo. Some depts. have programs to help that leo if possible. If they don't follow the program to a "T" and continue to have alcohol problems, they will probably be let go. I worked with someone who was fired. A person trying to be hired who has driven while DUI is not looked at in the same way. If the dept. knows an applicant has driven while DUI numerous times or recently before applying, they are probably not going to hire that person.
Old 07-15-2013, 1:29 PM

Even if it's the only negative in my background?

Old 07-15-2013, 5:43 PM

WOW there are some personal questions in that packet. I guess it's NOT my only negative. At least I've never done drugs... Maybe I'll just get a job at Costco or something and try again in 5 years, lol. It's humbling to be reminded of the all dumb s*** I've done in my life in the space of a few pages.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM

Dont sweat it. From what ive see most departments want someone with some life experience but is 100% truthful. Lying is one of the few sure ways to get fired. You can do some stupid things but if you tell the truth they wont can you. They dont want people who got straight A's in high school and college but didnt really learn anything about the world. They want people who have lived and if they fell they picked themselves up and moved on from the past.

Ive never done any drug in my life, including weed. My background investigator spent 15mins just asking me about drugs because she figured I had to be lying. I have partners that were smokers in high school then grew up and are now great cops.

Dont give up, if you want it bad enough then do it.

Old 07-18-2013, 3:49 PM

Against all odds, I was invited for a background interview. Does that mean that my background is not automatically disqualifying? Is this a suit and tie or shirt and tie kind of interview? Any other advice?

Old 07-19-2013, 5:50 PM

Id go business attire unless told otherwise. Maybe not a suit, but at least long sleeve, slacks, dress shoes and a tie. Youre making an impression that they are getting someone serious about a career and not someone who will be ok working at subway.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Well, got past the background interview. On to the Command Staff Interview on August 5th. This whole process seems like its flying by.

Old 07-28-2013, 7:39 PM

I did the agility on July 13th and haven't gotten a call yet. I'm pre service too, should I be worried?
Old 07-28-2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishtq View Post
I did the agility on July 13th and haven't gotten a call yet. I'm pre service too, should I be worried?
I do not know about Fontana PD but in general from date of testing to all the whole through for most agencies it is several months and known to be 6 months plus for a lot of agencies.

They are most likely setting up time frames for oral boards and stuff.

Pre Service? Do you mean academy graduate?

This is also because of the slow process why if your looking to get your first job in law enforcement you go out and apply for every agency that is hiring that way if something goes wrong with one you are far along with another. Worst thing that happens is that you get hired by multiple agencies.

A lot of officers don't get hired by there dream agency first time out, they take law enforcement jobs where they can get hired. Then send a few years getting their feet wet and getting there basic post certificate. Then they are easily hired by there dream agency as they are proven officer.
Old 07-29-2013, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishtq View Post
Couldn't tell you man. They'll contact you one way or the other, so there's no way to know.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM

I got the dq letter yesterday
Old 08-02-2013, 2:22 PM

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you going forward.