Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-04-2013, 8:37 PM
Banned

If Piston AR's are a gimmick why did Eugene Stoner design one. If I'm not mistaken it was an AR18. So if DI was so great why would you then design an inferior design in the AR18.

I've got an LWRC M6a2. The fit between the upper & lower is super tight. I just ordered an SPR in FDE, I hope the Fit is as tight as the M6a2.

If you don't like the LWRC then just sell it.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is turning into another piston vs DI debate

To each their own, DD and LWRC are obviously doing something right or else they'd both be out of business a long time ago. Buy what works for you.
Old 06-04-2013, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

please, please, PLEASE don't turn this thread into another Piston/DI debate. We've had enough of that.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep, figured it would turn into that. Mostly new guys too that are all pissed off that some of us don't like Piston ARs and they take it all personal.

Windex, FYI, Eugene Stoner designed the AR to be DI knowing full well what a piston is. I have no problem with piston rifles... just have a problem with piston AR15s.

If you folks want a piston AR15, by all means go for it. Just don't sit there and try and tell people it's better than a DI.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 06-05-2013, 4:36 AM

Quote:
I can't believe I might have to accu-wedge an LWRC SPR. That's annoying to think about.
i bought a 3 pack on ebay for $5 shipped and accu-wedged mine. The loosness out weighed the stupid feeling of having to do it. In other word the loose feeling when grabbing the rifle irritated me more than having to wedge it...LOL
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Wow, things are getting a bit off topic from my simple observations. Just get whatever you like! hahaha

Colt-45, thanks for that information about the non coated bolt. I wonder why they did it for my other M6A2 bcg. Maybe it was during their early development and didn't think having the coated ejector to be an issue. I haven't had problems with mine. *knock on wood*

Although I do like the look of the spiral fluted barrel, I think my SPR is on the chopping block. If the BCM Jack Carbine meets my expectations, then good-bye SPR.
Old 06-05-2013, 5:46 PM

Just picked mine up yesterday and cleaned it up last night of all the oil and packing grease.

Really love the Cerakote finish. Upper and Lower fitment is nice and tight, no wobbling play. I think I'll be Cerakoting the slide on my HK USP45 to match.
Old 06-05-2013, 5:54 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix View Post
If the BCM Jack Carbine meets my expectations, then good-bye SPR.
I would just buy a good barrel and build your own carbine. That's all the BCM Jack is if I'm not mistaken, a conglomeration of parts assembled by them.

Really, all you did when you bought the LWRC was plunk down 2500 for spiral fluting and a piston system (that's not needed anyways, DI works fine, and besides DI already has a piston, look closely at the bolt in your DD to see what I mean).
Old 06-05-2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Yep, figured it would turn into that. Mostly new guys too that are all pissed off that some of us don't like Piston ARs and they take it all personal.

Windex, FYI, Eugene Stoner designed the AR to be DI knowing full well what a piston is. I have no problem with piston rifles... just have a problem with piston AR15s.

If you folks want a piston AR15, by all means go for it. Just don't sit there and try and tell people it's better than a DI.
in no way did I say DI is bad . DI is a great system I just don't like fud about piston systems have BCG tilt problems and other fud they heard on ar15 forms.
like I said op keep the D.D. and sell the LWRC. the twisted barrel looks kool but looks are not everything .
Old 06-05-2013, 8:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix View Post
Colt-45, thanks for that information about the non coated bolt. I wonder why they did it for my other M6A2 bcg. Maybe it was during their early development and didn't think having the coated ejector to be an issue. I haven't had problems with mine.
The conclusion I came up with is that they were producing them at a loss so it was not economically feasible. I have 1 upper with that bolt, my SPR which is my newest LWRC does not have that fancy bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 blazer View Post
in no way did I say DI is bad . DI is a great system I just don't like fud about piston systems have BCG tilt problems and other fud they heard on ar15 forms.
That's particularly true with piston conversions, Stag and Ruger also had that problem.
Old 06-06-2013, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
The conclusion I came up with is that they were producing them at a loss so it was not economically feasible. I have 1 upper with that bolt, my SPR which is my newest LWRC does not have that fancy bolt.

That's particularly true with piston conversions, Stag and Ruger also had that problem.
yes I agree the conversion kits are terrible because they cannot get the straight push needed. the rods probably at the slightest angle and pushes the bolt side ways or up or down at the speed it moves it will cause wear problems.
I bet low quality control and parts not being to spec from mass production. having parts subed out to low bidding machine shops its like putting a AK47 together a little loose here a little tight there (I got a hammer it'll fit) but it works most the time .
Old 06-06-2013, 4:11 AM

I have a DDv7. It's a solid rifle. Never had any problems with it.
Old 06-06-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Just got off the phone with someone at LWRC (my SPR gets out of jail next week) - they said that the ACB (fancy new bolt) is having issues, including the new ACB2 with the larger extractor. So all current rifles going out have the GI bolt, which has no issues. Although I'm sure production issues also factor in... He also said there's a plan in the future for a bolt swap, and to keep an eye on the LWRC forums.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgen View Post
Just got off the phone with someone at LWRC (my SPR gets out of jail next week) - they said that the ACB (fancy new bolt) is having issues, including the new ACB2 with the larger extractor. So all current rifles going out have the GI bolt, which has no issues. Although I'm sure production issues also factor in... He also said there's a plan in the future for a bolt swap, and to keep an eye on the LWRC forums.
Thanks for that info, do you know if it will be a free replacement?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think too many guy thinks just because its a LWRC is going to be more fun than other ARs being so much more when it does the same dam thing.

Awesome rifles but its still just an AR. Your not buying a rocket launcher.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 07-08-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60 View Post
Did you buy the rifles to shoot or to fondle?
Just shoot the thing. I like a nice fit and finish as much as the next guy but the great thing about an AR-15 is that it's no looker, it's a shooter. Get out there and let the brass fly.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Default LWRC bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheHammer View Post
Thanks for that info, do you know if it will be a free replacement?
I didn't get into the details - I was too pleasantly surprised when the guy admitted that it might happen. So no, I don't know if it'll be free. And again, I think it's a big maybe. They had a pretty strong response on their forum when people started mentioning that they got the old bolt instead of the new ACB. This was before they changed the website to remove mention of it - I mean, when I bought mine, it was advertised to have the ACB and a Magpul stock instead of the GI bolt and modified SOPMOD stock.

Haven't been on there in awhile, so I don't know what's going on now.
Old 07-08-2013, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Your problem is the kind of problem I need in my life. For the record I'd sell the LWRC to get more ammo to shoot the DD. I love the way LWRCs look but if you ain't in love with it get rid of it.