Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Default got a speeding ticket 2 months ago but lost it and never got

any 'courtesy notice'.

What do I need to bring to Palo Alto court(I remember that much) window for them to be able to look it up besides my DL?

I can't remember the date.

PS-I remember something about 'Can go to trial after posting bail'. Last time I had a ticket and went to trial you didn't need to 'post bail'. How long after if I win(cop doesn't show) will I get my bail back, and is their any "court cost" taken out even if cop no-shows and case dismissed?

Yes, I know I might have screwed up and let this go to FTA, which is now some "civil assessment"(you used to be able to post bail and bluff the DA out of JURY TRIAL if you really, really wanted and showed up about 4 days for a court room to be open). Is that why I didn't get a courtesy notice??? Courts trying to sell more FTA?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just called Sheriff, they say they have TWELVE WEEKS to issue notice, and that my online search of court showing nothing means "they don't have the information yet".

Last edited by retired; 07-15-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Go to the agency which issued you the citation to get a copy..... The court will probably need the citation number to look it up in their system..

Every court is different... no way to tell.

No jury trials for infractions.....

Your copy of the citation is your "notice" why would you believe it necessary for the court to remind you??? It's not their fault you did not pay attention to the notice you were given....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 PM

You have a warrant....

If you walked into my station to ask about it, you'd prolly get a warrant arrest with a cite release and a new court date.

Better to go to the court itself on a traffic day, and ask to be scene and skip being booked into jail.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
You have a warrant....

If you walked into my station to ask about it, you'd prolly get a warrant arrest with a cite release and a new court date.

Better to go to the court itself on a traffic day, and ask to be scene and skip being booked into jail.
No department is going to book someone for a speeding ticket FTA. They may serve the warrant via citation and issue a new court date, but I doubt they would book, it is too much of a hassle.

40304.5. CVC
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, whenever any person is taken into custody for bail to be collected on two or fewer outstanding warrants for failure to appear on a citation for a parking offense or a traffic infraction, the person shall be provided the opportunity immediately to post bail, and shall not be booked, photographed, or fingerprinted, nor shall an arrest record be made, when the amount of bail required to be paid on the warrant may be ascertained by reference to the face thereof or to a fixed schedule of bail, unless and until all of the following requirements have been exhausted:

(a) If the person has sufficient cash in his or her possession, that person shall be given the opportunity immediately to post bail with the person in charge of the jail or his or her designee.

(b) If the person does not have sufficient cash in his or her possession, that person shall be informed of his or her rights and given the opportunity to do all of the following:

(1) Make not less than three completed telephone calls to obtain bail. The person shall be permitted the use of the police or sheriff’s department telephone to make not less than three completed local or collect long-distance telephone calls to obtain bail.

(2) Have not less than three hours in which to arrange for the deposit of bail.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-06-2013, 2:36 AM

Um, its because the courts are overflowing with more important things (and poor drivers in general) that your citation is not being processed right away. 90 days gives the court time to sort through the paperwork. If the courts were fully funded, appropriately staffed, using up to date computer systems that worked, and didn't have other levels clogged by bogus appeals/motions from citizens, they would probably be able to do them in 30 days. Be happy, at least you have more time to deal with the ticket and apparently didn't miss your court date.

And as a LEO, I'm pretty sure I confront "real" problems every day. I didn't see you on scene on my last quadruple shooting....
Old 07-06-2013, 7:54 AM

Trickster.....thanks for setting that policy for all department s unilaterally. I'm sure the IACP appreciates your keen policy making skills.

But when you have a jail in your station, yes, they get booked and cited out. Its a daily if not hourly occurrence.
Old 07-06-2013, 9:19 AM

OP: Your level of ignorance is outstanding. First off, most DAs don't handle traffic and you do not get a jury trial for a traffic infraction. Courts aren't "sellling more FTA". There is no need to "sell" FTA because plenty of irresponsible people like you have better things to do than show up to court.

Good luck with your traffic trial. Judging by your post you will go down in flames in a spectacular fashion.
Old 07-06-2013, 2:25 PM

Infraction violations don't go to FTA. Stopped that years ago. Your driver's license will get suspended.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddis View Post
Infraction violations don't go to FTA. Stopped that years ago. Your driver's license will get suspended.
It's like throwing a jury summons in the trash. Who's gonna prove that it was ever delivered to your mailbox in the first place??? Damn Post Office looses mail all the time.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-TRUMP