Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Social Security "benefits"

After working 32 years in law enforcement, I was finally able to retire with a decent pension. I had paid into Soc. Sec. before I went into the Job, and after retirement. I have more than the required Soc. Sec. units for retirement benefits.
Long story short, I turned 62 and filed for Soc. Sec.. Instead of the $899 a month that I earned, I was "awarded" $287 (which included my Viet Nam service bonus of $100) due to some "windfall" B.S because I have a public service pension.
I heard that there was some effort being made in Congress to do away with this and allow public service retirees to collect the full amount of Social Security that they earned. Does anyone have any knowlege of this?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Social Security Administration Windfall Elimination

The Bill died in Congressional Committee...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr2797

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n2/v68n2p21.html

Congrats on your retirement.

*Not valid in CA, NY, HI, MD, NJ or DC
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Really pisses me off to hear this... and hopefully they turn it around... but congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your many years of service.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:02 PM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Same deal with my wife who is a teacher. She worked for amny year in the private sector paying to SS and will not be able to get it either. To make it even worse, I am in the private sector and have paid into SS for many years. When I kick the bucket (assuming I kill over before her) since she is a public employee with STRS, she will not be able to receive 1 cent of the SS I have paid into my entire life. It really makes me angry...
Old 01-25-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3S16 View Post
After working 32 years in law enforcement, I was finally able to retire with a decent pension. I had paid into Soc. Sec. before I went into the Job, and after retirement. I have more than the required Soc. Sec. units for retirement benefits.
Long story short, I turned 62 and filed for Soc. Sec.. Instead of the $899 a month that I earned, I was "awarded" $287 (which included my Viet Nam service bonus of $100) due to some "windfall" B.S because I have a public service pension.
I heard that there was some effort being made in Congress to do away with this and allow public service retirees to collect the full amount of Social Security that they earned. Does anyone have any knowlege of this?
Congratulations on making 32 years. Yeah, basically if you get to retirement age and have the work credits they cut it down to 1/3. The windfall elimination bill has been introduced several times and never really comes up for a vote.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:57 PM

This is a bummer to hear. I paid into the system for 12 years before I got into LE. What a friggin' waste.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:05 PM

Not LE here (Gov Emp.) but work with a lot of LE. I paid into the system for over 28 years before going into Pub. Svc. Then I found out that although my eligibility is around $1400/mo, I can only get 5/9ths of the total or something like that.

If I had been allowed to opt out of SS early on (which I asked), I could have retired years ago on the investment.

I hope someday they change this law retroactively to time of conversion from private to public sector service but I am not holding my breath...yet.

On a side note, thank you all to those of you that served and continue to serve.
Old 01-25-2013, 9:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. "It was the best of times - It was the worst of times." Oh wait, someone else already used that line!
Old 07-04-2013, 1:04 AM
Banned

Government theft
Old 07-05-2013, 1:06 AM

More like re-distribution of wealth.
Old 07-05-2013, 4:39 AM

Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-05-2013, 7:30 AM

Our pension tables include the social security reduction value, but its tough to visualize what it means until I hear stories like this.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM

I'm in the same boat and will retire soon and when I turn 62, my government will punish me for being successful and working hard to secure a pension so I don't have to live off the government subsidies by taking about half of my earned SS benefit which I paid into.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM

I thought that the current working generation pays the SS benefits for current retirees.

There isn't a pool of money that you paid into. You're SS contributions determine the value of your pot, but it is not stored for your like a 401k.

Isn't this correct?

Also, darn SSI screwing people over. I don't even know how honorable people are supposed to benefit off it.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Who was against this? As in, which of our elected officials was anti public service.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
I thought that the current working generation pays the SS benefits for current retirees.

There isn't a pool of money that you paid into. You're SS contributions determine the value of your pot, but it is not stored for your like a 401k.

Isn't this correct?

Also, darn SSI screwing people over. I don't even know how honorable people are supposed to benefit off it.
You have it exactly right. Social Security is a tax. We are not buying insurance or an annuity.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM

If you did not contribute to SS for 32 years of your working years then I would not expect much. I worked for Riverside county for a few years and did not pay in SS for those years, but the retirement benefits were much better than SS.
Old 07-15-2013, 8:47 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

There is another problem with the SS as well.

My wife works for the public sector and also has a pension. I am in the private sector and pay into social security. Since she will receive a pension, she will not be able to collect my SS if I kick the bucket before her. She not only waives the right to her SS, but also waives any claim to my SS.

Absolutely unbelievable pile of hogwash.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 07-15-2013, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net View Post
You have it exactly right. Social Security is a tax. We are not buying insurance or an annuity.
That being said, I spoke with a few of my LE buddies over the weekend and determined this:

Civil Servants with Pensions are exempt from contributing into their SSI "pot". You did not contribute to SSI "pot" during your employment as a Civil Servant. What you paid was SS Tax for the current retiree generation.

You will receive a portion of what you've contributed during your employment as a non-civil servant (assuming that you'r contributions have qualified) after the qualifying age of retirement.

Does this sound correct?
Old 07-17-2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
That being said, I spoke with a few of my LE buddies over the weekend and determined this:

Civil Servants with Pensions are exempt from contributing into their SSI "pot". You did not contribute to SSI "pot" during your employment as a Civil Servant. What you paid was SS Tax for the current retiree generation.

You will receive a portion of what you've contributed during your employment as a non-civil servant (assuming that you'r contributions have qualified) after the qualifying age of retirement.

Does this sound correct?
That might be correct depending on when you hired on and your retirement system. I hired on in 81, retired this year from L.A. County Fire. I had ZERO SS deductions over 31.5 years. A lot changed in 86 and now new kids are in a 3rd tier that to me, really sucks. I don't have enough quarters in SS to collect. I considered a part time job to catch up but it doesn't seem worth it now.