Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-21-2013, 6:44 AM

Default Man, it's because I'm .....

A while back, I was watching a "Speeders" marathon and one of the situations was just too over the top. Two young black males pulled over for speeding (obviously). Trooper (I think it was a trooper, not in CA) gets the subject's info etc. and goes back to the unit to run it.

The cameraman or producer offscreen asks "Do you know why he pulled you over?" The driver immediately goes "Yeah, man, it's because I'm b--" then his eyes cut to the rear view mirror and he says "Man, I don't know man." I'd bet good money he was going to say it was because he was black. The problem is, the trooper was also black.

My question is this - how often do you guys (and gals) have situations like this, where a violator / criminal / etc. is adamant that the only reason they're being "hassled" is because they are people with a skin color different than the color of the officer's skin? I went general there, because I have actually heard a white person insist that a black officer pulled them over because they were white.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 06-21-2013, 8:15 AM

Easy answer. All the time. It's a ploy to try and get out of doing something wrong despite the obvious violation of law. Most of the time it's more serious crimes other then taffic violations. My come back is usually something, like, "see these gray hairs on my hair, it means I've been around a while so save it for some young cop." That usually shuts them down. I don't get engaged in the race conversation because that's the bait that is being thrown out and just go about my police business. I've had many black people apoligize to me for them attemping to play the race card when they realized it was baseless under the circumstances of their arrest or contact and I treated them pretty well even after the race insults they leveled at me. Recording your contacts helps too but in all the years I've been at, I've never had a complaint based on race becasue I treat everyone the same by being as nice to them as they will let me.
Old 06-21-2013, 8:23 AM

Best one I had was similar to the OP. T-Stop for tint & cross double yellow line at approx 2100 hrs.

Approached the driver, who stated: "You are stopping me because I'm Black."

My reply, "Ma'am, I'm stopping you because you have tinted windows, and crossed the DY line. You are driving with tinted windows at night. Your windows do not allow me to see inside the vehicle, how could I tell who was driving?"

Her: "........"
Old 06-21-2013, 8:24 AM

I used to look them in the eye and tell them "you don't know who you're talking to". I come from a multi-racial family and have children of different ethnicities. I always treated everyone exactly the same and never had a complaint upheld.
One of my first FTO's told me to give everyone, even the lowest bum their respect until they prove otherwise. Made my job a lot easier.
If you refuse to play the game, they usually give up.
Old 06-21-2013, 5:56 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I had it occur a few times and would give them basically the same reply that others here have given; the reason for the stop.

I once stopped a speeder and the first thing out of his mouth was, "You stopped me because I'm Iranian." This was during the time Iran was holding our people hostage (yes, I know I'm dating myself).

I told him due to his tinted windows, I couldn't even tell what sex he was until I walked up to the driver's window, so I certainly had no way to know he was Iranian. I guess I was lucky that he didn't look at my name plate since I have an obviously Jewish last name. I can only imagine the accusation then
Old 06-21-2013, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

It happens but fortunately it's not a daily thing.
Old 06-21-2013, 9:44 PM

I remember getting pulled over for a front plate not being attached since I was waiting for the frame to get shipped. I was asked by officers if I was on parole. I'm Mexican.

Clint Smith On Gun Safety [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI ]
1. All firearms are ALWAYS loaded.
2. Don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're on the target and ready to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target and backstop.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTMAN556 View Post
I remember getting pulled over for a front plate not being attached since I was waiting for the frame to get shipped. I was asked by officers if I was on parole. I'm Mexican.
I'm still waiting for the punch line.....What does being Mexican have to do with anything?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Janitors assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
I'm still waiting for the punch line.....What does being Mexican have to do with anything?
''We don't need no stinking front bages!''.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 AM

Only once; I stopped a guy at about midnight a few months ago for his license plate light being burned out. He passed me and I saw in my side view mirror his light was not working. I stopped him, approached the car and was polite and professional. He was a total dick, started yelling that I stopped him for being mexican and for driving a pos car (an old explorer with hella vehicle code violations). as I was talking to him CHP showed up to back me, saw who I pulled over and immediately drove off. They told my ride a long they pulled him over 2 mins earlier for the same thing and he looked like he was about to explode and didnt want to deal with his crap. long story short, I talked to him for a few mins, explained to him the reason for the stop and how I cant see his race at midnight and how it looks like he is having a bad day that has nothing to do with me to which he agreed. I sent him on his way and told him to be careful which cop hes a dick to.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Calguns Addict

All I ever did was explain the reason for the stop and go on with business. Inside, though, it was, "No, I stopped you because you're stupid or careless enough to (insert cause for stop here) right in front of me. Have a nice day and thanks for being on the show."
Old 06-22-2013, 3:20 AM

Once a week at least. Also, I have found that generally the more adamant and loud the person crying racism/sexism/whateverism is the more likely they are trying to divert my attention to hide contraband or make a run for it. It's hilarious because once the contraband is located or they are on the way to jail they frequently deflate and are often halfway reasonable to deal with.

Some of my favorite encounters have been the times I have had to deal with a rude, obnoxious, ignorant, cop-hating jerk and have been able to kill them with kindness to the point where they apologize for their behavior and are reasonable to talk to the next time we run into each other.
Old 06-22-2013, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Once a week at least. Also, I have found that generally the more adamant and loud the person crying racism/sexism/whateverism is the more likely they are trying to divert my attention to hide contraband or make a run for it. It's hilarious because once the contraband is located or they are on the way to jail they frequently deflate and are often halfway reasonable to deal with.

Some of my favorite encounters have been the times I have had to deal with a rude, obnoxious, ignorant, cop-hating jerk and have been able to kill them with kindness to the point where they apologize for their behavior and are reasonable to talk to the next time we run into each other.
Only once a week? I get it at least once a shift.
Old 06-22-2013, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Only once; I stopped a guy at about midnight a few months ago for his license plate light being burned out. He passed me and I saw in my side view mirror his light was not working. I stopped him, approached the car and was polite and professional. He was a total dick, started yelling that I stopped him for being mexican and for driving a pos car (an old explorer with hella vehicle code violations). as I was talking to him CHP showed up to back me, saw who I pulled over and immediately drove off. They told my ride a long they pulled him over 2 mins earlier for the same thing and he looked like he was about to explode and didnt want to deal with his crap. long story short, I talked to him for a few mins, explained to him the reason for the stop and how I cant see his race at midnight and how it looks like he is having a bad day that has nothing to do with me to which he agreed. I sent him on his way and told him to be careful which cop hes a dick to.
What's up with that????
Old 06-22-2013, 7:00 AM

Back in the mid to late 1980’s my partner and I stopped a young man in his 20’s for loud (really loud!) music coming from his vehicle. From the moment we contacted him, he was acting quite stupid. At one point he turned to me and says “you white folk have been oppressing the black man for over 400 years”.

For a moment I just stared at him with the deer in the headlights look, I was literally speechless. My first thought was to ask him; what does his race have to do with him playing his music so loud I could hear it a block away which prompted the initial vehicle stop.

Instead, I advised him of the VC section prohibiting loud music emitting from a vehicle and sent him on his way without citing him. I would hope he left with a more positive attitude towards his fellow mankind.
Old 06-22-2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim34 View Post
Only once a week? I get it at least once a shift.
you sound like you work where I use to
Old 06-22-2013, 6:41 PM

Not an LEO but still get that crap in prison. Not that any of those poor guys actually committed a crime.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 AM

Nothing about race but I took a court order violation call a few weeks ago over the phone where the female half said her ex in Nevada was harassing her. I called him and he was more than rude, cussed me out and was generally unpleasant to deal with. While speaking to him I read a prior report on him dealing with the same thing that said he used to be in the army. WHile he was yelling at me I randomly asked him where he was in the Army and it turned out we were in the same unit but different companies, in Iraq the same time and knew the same people. He immediately apologized for yelling at me and changed his tune. What a small world.
Old 06-23-2013, 7:11 AM

When I worked in West Hollywood, the driver told me, as soon as I stopped him, "I am gay." I simply replied, "Thank you for letting me now."
Old 06-23-2013, 9:07 AM

Profiling, say it isn't so! I have seen it happen to people but it was age of the person/s or the type of clothing worn that fit a profile I guess. I live in a predominantly Black populous and hear about "racial" profiling all the time but from people that tend to drink far to much in public, have priors, and continue to sell drugs. When I first moved into the area I was referred to as the "White" guy by the other tenants in the apartment complex even though Im of Mexican and Filipino heritage/descent or what have you.

I cant say I have ever been a victim to any kind of profiling but I tend to think as long as Im on the right side of the law I have nothing to worry about. Due to past experience I tend to like LEOS and like to bs with them at the local Starbucks. Offer to buy a cup of coffee for them when I can. In a relaxed setting LEOS seem really nice but when they on a call in job mode it is a whole different story. I think some can be a little rough or *****y but hey I would be to if I had to see the worst of society everyday. I cant complain since every time I have been pulled over I get no more then a warning. Once pulled over for expired tag so I showed my receipt for the dmv fees and insurance cards non of which were current. I guess he ran my info to verify I was all good and let me go and told me to get a replacement tag. I was pulled over for 50+mph in a 35mph zone, I surly denied go that fast let go with a warning.

In school I learned a concept that people tend to attribute positive events as their doing and negative event as someones plot against them
Old 06-23-2013, 8:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

People who insulted me generally received the karma they deserved!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 06-23-2013, 9:06 PM

To the guys who don't cite after all the hoopla the motorists display, I have to hand it to you. It was always my theory bad behavior should not be rewarded.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
To the guys who don't cite after all the hoopla the motorists display, I have to hand it to you. It was always my theory bad behavior should not be rewarded.
I never understood why cops would allow themselves to be bullied.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 06-24-2013, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
More over, it's like ASKING for a complaint.
Old 06-24-2013, 9:54 AM

Two of my buddies work in a local agency, and they used to get this fairly often. Especially the firend who is very white, and has had white hair since the dawn of time. I won't go any farther becuase I would end up writing a rambling essay on how the race card is being played nowadays to get out of bad behavior instead of exposing actual racism.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
When I worked in West Hollywood, the driver told me, as soon as I stopped him, "I am gay." I simply replied, "Thank you for letting me now."
Had that happen to me too a long time ago.... I replied, "I'm pretty happy too".....and smiled at the offender...

The guy looked at me, and after a few seconds just cracked up laughing....

Usually if they started with the "you just stopped me because".....line I would just say well no, I stopped you because you just (insert traffic infraction).

That would end the car side conversation and I would retreat back to my car to write the citation.... Those folks never got verbal warnings.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Had that happen to me too a long time ago.... I replied, "I'm pretty happy too".....and smiled at the offender...

The guy looked at me, and after a few seconds just cracked up laughing....

Usually if they started with the "you just stopped me because".....line I would just say well no, I stopped you because you just (insert traffic infraction).

That would end the car side conversation and I would retreat back to my car to write the citation.... Those folks never got verbal warnings.....
that would crack me up. the crap people say when they get pulled over.
I was in a sobriety check point and by the time they got to me I had all my papers ready. The officer ask if I had anything to drink that night (it was about 11pm) and for some reason I replied "not yet" while they still had my ID in had.
I was 19 at the time so I guess I shouldnt had said that. My sphincter relaxed a few minutes later after a was on my way.

I have learned a few rules that help me deal with you LEOs out there
1. speak clearly
2. be polite
3. no swift movements
4. Dont lie
For most of my younger years I always feared getting zapped, clubbed, or shot the police. I never had any problems, I just had that fear. To get over the fear I follow those rules. If Im in a car I prefer to turn on the dome light so they can see inside and in the back seat. If my papers are in the glove box I dont just make a go for them I clearly state their location and ASK for permission to fetch them for review.

I no longer fear the police and have actually learned to respect them.
Old 06-25-2013, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post
In school I learned a concept that people tend to attribute positive events as their doing and negative event as someones plot against them
This is true. It's called the Fundamental Attribution Error.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 06-25-2013, 6:51 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I learned over my career people want to be treated with respect but many do not display the same respect they demand in return. I always treated people respectfully until they showed me they need to be treated otherwise.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 06-27-2013, 6:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I get it from time to time. Funny thing was, the last time, my partner was the one that initially stopped the group we were out with, and he is black.

Whatever, it is what it is. I still hooked the guy up for his warrant and ran him in. We were polite to him the whole time, and after we got him away from his friends, he mellowed out a ton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 06-27-2013, 6:54 PM

I think it's just human nature for idiots to try and find any other reason to put blame on other than its their fault. Of course, first thing to pop into their idiot heads, are their skin color...
Old 06-27-2013, 8:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drptpgt View Post
I think it's just human nature for idiots to try and find any other reason to put blame on other than its their fault.
That is not human nature, that is a learned trait.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 06-27-2013, 8:50 PM

My FTO once told me he pulled over a car very excessive speed. The driver's first response was, "You pulled me over 'cause I'm black!" His response, "No. That was yesterday. I pulled you over because you're stupid." Caught the dude off guard. Nothing said after that. Signed the ticket and off he went.
Old 06-27-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-n-Throttle View Post
My FTO once told me he pulled over a car very excessive speed. The driver's first response was, "You pulled me over 'cause I'm black!" His response, "No. That was yesterday. I pulled you over because you're stupid." Caught the dude off guard. Nothing said after that. Signed the ticket and off he went.
I like it, lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:07 PM

I love hearing all your stories keep-em coming. I need to do a ride-a-long one of these days so i can see this crap first hand.