Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 06-04-2013, 6:00 PM

Default Moving to gun-friendly NV

It's finally official: we are moving to Las Vegas, NV! My husband starts in July, just in time for the summer heat :/ After I get everything unpacked, what do you suppose I'm going to do? That's right; sign up for my very first CCW class! I'm scared to take such a big step, but also very excited. Just need to find out when my mother in law will next be visiting and will have her watch my boys while I attend class.

If anyone has any pointers about classes/instructors/organizations, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the big move. If you are a Front Sight member, you can take a 4day handgun, and then the CCW the following day. Will also get you Utah and Florida at the same time.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

You're a bit mistaken about Nevada -- especially about Clark County. Welcome anyway -- it is still better than California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
Moving to gun-friendly NV
There are a bunch. The Gun Store on Tropicana has a free class but it's definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'. My wife used this class to get her CCW and, I then used it for my renewal. There are some great instructors who offer a lot of different services; you may or may not want to use them. Visit all the gun stores; you'll soon figure which are worth your time and which to avoid. In the end, meeting the requirements to file your paperwork for your permit is all that matters.
Quote:
...If anyone has any pointers about classes/instructors/organizations, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Good luck!
Hope your not moving just to get away from gun control. Seems California is bleeding over to NV. Isn't Senator Reid from NV!

Nevada: New York-Style Gun Control Bill Heading to Governor for his Consideration

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...ideration.aspx

Nevada: Legislature approves bill criminalizing private transfers

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/in...transfers.aspx
Old 06-05-2013, 6:16 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68mustanger View Post
Good luck!
Hope your not moving just to get away from gun control. Seems California is bleeding over to NV. Isn't Senator Reid from NV!
What he said.

CA/NY style gun control is on the move in NV, especially in Clark County (Las Vegas).

So, when you get to NV, get involved & be active with the pro-gun movements and in politics (need to vote out the anti-gun politicians in Clark County & elect a pro-gun Clark County Sheriff).

Otherwise, you will end up living in SoCal East.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-05-2013, 6:36 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68mustanger View Post
Good luck!

Nevada: New York-Style Gun Control Bill Heading to Governor for his Consideration

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...ideration.aspx

Nevada: Legislature approves bill criminalizing private transfers

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/in...transfers.aspx
It says in the article that Gov. Sandoval is going to VETO it.
Old 06-05-2013, 6:38 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
It says in the article that Gov. Sandoval is going to VETO it.
Starting last week, Mayors Aganist Illegal Guns (NYC Mayor Bloomberg's anti-gun group) is applying pressure on the Governor Sandoval and making mass ad attacks (tv & radio commericals) to urge people to contact Governor Sandoval to pass it.

The NRA articles, urging people to contact Governor Sandoval to urge him to veto, came out in response to the push by Mayors Aganist Illegal Guns.

The mayors of Carson City & Las Vegas are members of Mayors Aganist Illegal Guns.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-05-2013 at 6:49 AM..
Old 06-05-2013, 7:54 AM

Congrats, just moved to Nevada myself. Live in Las Vegas. Need to register your Cali pistols at police substation within 60 days of establishing residency to get your 'blue card'. CCW classes are plenty, but current wait to receive CHL is close to the 120 days due to flood of CCW applications after Sandy Hook/elections. Until then you can open carry your pistol.
Old 06-05-2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
The Gun Store on Tropicana has a free class but it's definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'.
Amazing amount of info for free, listen closely and pay attention. I qualled for my CCW there, $25 for range ammo.

I'm continually amazed to see how easily arms move in NV, the way it should be.

Congrats on the move, get another gunsafe.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".

Last edited by sdkevin; 06-06-2013 at 9:05 AM..
Old 06-05-2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post

Another tip - file the firearms stolen before you leave, NV doesn't get excited about this stuff like CA does.
Are you suggesting that she report her firearms as stolen, in California, so she doesn't have to register in NV? That's probably illegal, if not fraud and conspiracy. We won't tolerate it here.

If that is what you meant, don't do it ever and edit it out of your post. If it was not what you meant, retract and edit it out of your post.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-05-2013, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Grats to you!

I haven't yet been to Vegas but it's on my list of places to visit before I move out of CA (I'm trying to transfer to Austin later this year).

CCW classes have been informative in my previous state of residence (TN) which required a full 8 hour class with a short range time at the end. I learned a lot. Unlike the CCW class in CA that was 45 minutes and basically skimmed the basics.

Don't forget about Calguns and keep fighting the 2A fight!
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 06-05-2013, 4:12 PM
Banned

Congrats! Just to there, be PRO gun and kick ***.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:10 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Dont forget us here at Calguns!
Old 06-05-2013, 8:12 PM

I could never forget Calguns. You're stuck with me, I'm afraid.

We are moving because my husband was offered a fantastic job! The gun freedom is just icing on the cake. I know it has to be changing there because the place (especially Summerlin) is just overrun with Californians. At least that's how it seemed when we went house hunting there. I'm not a native Californian myself (lived in CA only 3 yrs) and worry over how the natives will think of me. I promise not to be entitled or bring failed CA ideologies with me, just so they know! I loved certain qualities in CA, but I really miss the freedom of living in a "free" state.

I will check out the classes and let you know which one works out. Thanks for your input, everyone!
Old 06-05-2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen76@gmail.com View Post
Congrats, just moved to Nevada myself. Live in Las Vegas. Need to register your Cali pistols at police substation within 60 days of establishing residency to get your 'blue card'. CCW classes are plenty, but current wait to receive CHL is close to the 120 days due to flood of CCW applications after Sandy Hook/elections. Until then you can open carry your pistol.
Glad to find someone else who moved to Vegas. I'll be in Henderson, actually. So NV requires registration of hand guns? Blue card? I am heading to google to figure this out...

How do you like Vegas? Congrats to you, too!
Old 06-05-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
Glad to find someone else who moved to Vegas. I'll be in Henderson, actually. So NV requires registration of hand guns? Blue card? I am heading to google to figure this out...

How do you like Vegas? Congrats to you, too!
Here's the information from Clark County, only clark county requires handgun registration if you are resident. If you live Reno, none needed, law is throwback to mob era. Just bring your unloaded pistol, Nevada ID and the county employees will take care of rest.

http://www.lvmpd.com/Permits/Firearm...5/Default.aspx

Vegas is hot now. 100 according to my car right now at 10pm. Crazier drivers than so cal. No red light cameras, and impatient folks blowing through red after 2 seconds.

If you need any help on car registration, shooting spots, just PM me. Welcome to the state.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM
CGSSA Leader

I agree on Front Sight. Pahrump is only an hour away from Vegas. We took the 4 day handgun course and CCW back in March and got our permits in under 2 months. We stayed there and went to the sheriff's office EARLY the next morning to get out paperwork completed. They open at 8 I think, so be there by 7 or there will be at least 15 or so ahead of you. You will have a blast!!

Trish

Lifetime NRA Member

Gun Zone Radio Member
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poms&Guns View Post
I agree on Front Sight. Pahrump is only an hour away from Vegas. We took the 4 day handgun course and CCW back in March and got our permits in under 2 months. We stayed there and went to the sheriff's office EARLY the next morning to get out paperwork completed. They open at 8 I think, so be there by 7 or there will be at least 15 or so ahead of you. You will have a blast!!

Trish
The OP is moving to Clark County, so she will need to take her NV CCW course in Clark County.

Front Sight is in Nye County and LVMPD (Clark County) does not accept them as an authorized CCW instructor.
So, she could go through the Front Sight 5 day handgun/CCW course (excellent training by the way), but she would not be able to use the training certificate to get a permit from Clark County.

List of Clark County approved CCW instructors

Old 06-06-2013, 1:37 PM

CCW
VTI & Associates
http://www.vtiassociates.com/
Contact Steve Baker