Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-22-2013, 9:11 AM

Default Marlin 7000 jamming

So my grandpa gave me a Marlin 7000 a few years ago and I haven't shot it very much. I took it out a few weeks ago and it kept jamming (double feeds, stovepipes, etc.) The magazine fits in the gun pretty loose, but from what I have read on other boards this is a common issue. I figured out later in the day that if I held the magazine tight in the gun or rested on the mag while I was shooting, it would jam a LOT less often. From what i could tell from manually cycling the gun, it seems like the extractor is not letting go of the shell after pulling it out of the chamber. I got home and put some more oil on the extractor and bolt and cycled the gun manually and the oil seemed to help, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Has anyone else had this problem??

Gun:

This is what it is doing:

Last edited by motox917; 05-23-2013 at 8:24 AM.. Reason: added pics
Old 05-23-2013, 8:25 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-23-2013, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Did you break it down and give it a good clean up first? To see if theres anything loose or broken?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Yes I did. It was a little dirty but nothing was broken. I cleaned it, lubed it, put it back together, and shot it and it was doing the same thing.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Start cheap first. Try another magazine?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM

check that the ejector pops out when the bolt goes all the way back?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
Start cheap first. Try another magazine?
Yea thats what I was thinking. I'm trying to order one from Brownells right now but their site is running extremely slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
check that the ejector pops out when the bolt goes all the way back?
No, it does not. When I cycle it with no ammo and an empty mag, the extractor never moves. When I cycle ammo through it without pushing up on the mag the extractor doesn't let go of the round that was chambered. When I cycle it while pushing up on the mag it will cycle normally, but I can't see the extractor move. It seems like the round in the top of the mag is pushing on the round coming out of the chamber just enough to eject it (If that makes sense).
Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 PM

U should name ur rifle Bob Marley since its always jamming
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Beautiful 7000, that stock technically makes it a 7000T. (I have always wanted one )

The ejector and the magazine release are one piece on the 70/795/7000.
If the magazine is not being held tight enough there are going to be feeding issues.
By default the magazine release holds the magazines pretty tight and causes them to have to be pulled out and not be drop free. Often I have seen people try to bend the release back some to make it looser and by doing so causing feeding issues.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/951...795-795ss-7000

I would start from there and see what happens.

BTW where are you? If Socal I would be willing to look at it . (I'm in the IE)
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox917 View Post
Yea thats what I was thinking. I'm trying to order one from Brownells right now but their site is running extremely slow

No, it does not. When I cycle it with no ammo and an empty mag, the extractor never moves. When I cycle ammo through it without pushing up on the mag the extractor doesn't let go of the round that was chambered. When I cycle it while pushing up on the mag it will cycle normally, but I can't see the extractor move. It seems like the round in the top of the mag is pushing on the round coming out of the chamber just enough to eject it (If that makes sense).
I mean the ejector, not the extractor. It should be on the left side of the bolt opposite of the extractor. It's fixed to the action and as the bolt moves to the rear, there is a slot where the ejector would protrude past the bolt and push the casing off the face of the bolt. It works with the extractor that grips the rim of the case, while the ejector kicks the shell forward. Both working together flings the spent casing to the right during cycling.
Old 05-23-2013, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Beautiful 7000, that stock technically makes it a 7000T. (I have always wanted one )

The ejector and the magazine release are one piece on the 70/795/7000.
If the magazine is not being held tight enough there are going to be feeding issues.
By default the magazine release holds the magazines pretty tight and causes them to have to be pulled out and not be drop free. Often I have seen people try to bend the release back some to make it looser and by doing so causing feeding issues.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/951...795-795ss-7000

I would start from there and see what happens.

BTW where are you? If Socal I would be willing to look at it . (I'm in the IE)
Thanks, it's an awesome gun besides the feeding issue. Yea that's pretty much the conclusion I came to also. I finally got through to Brownells and ordered a magazine giude, magazine, and mag catch/ejector. I'm hoping these parts fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
I mean the ejector, not the extractor. It should be on the left side of the bolt opposite of the extractor. It's fixed to the action and as the bolt moves to the rear, there is a slot where the ejector would protrude past the bolt and push the casing off the face of the bolt. It works with the extractor that grips the rim of the case, while the ejector kicks the shell forward. Both working together flings the spent casing to the right during cycling.
Yes the ejector sticks out. All I can figure is that the mag fits too loose in the magwell.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-23-2013, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad we could help!
An awesome gun like that deserves to be working at its best!

This should help you take the action apart (for the 60 but they are practically the same)
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=197703

And then also there is the Marlin 795 Megathreads that you might want to take a look at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=607193

Let us know if you need any more help or let us know how it worked out!
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 05-23-2013, 2:39 PM

Well I took the gun apart again (for about the 10th time in the last 2 days) and looked a little closer and realized the ejector was either bent or out of spec. I took some needle-nose pliers and bent it to where I thought it should be and it works like a champ!! Thanks for the links and the in depth write up on the 795 Chaos, I'll definitely bookmark them. Thanks again for helping guys!
Old 05-23-2013, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad to hear it!
I would go ahead and replace the ejector/magazine catch with the one your ordered just to be sure.

If you ever want to sell it contact me first! haha!

Old 05-23-2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Glad to hear it!

If you ever want to sell it contact me first! haha!
Will do man