Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Ammo in Contra Costa County need Legal input

Ok, so I live and have purchased ammo in probably close to every city in Contra Costa County. I know in Sac County you have to fill out a form when you purchase ammo, but not in Contra Costa. Sports Authority in Concord wanted all kinds of info for purchasing ammo. I have purchased shot gun shells there before with no issues but anything in cabinet (rifle or pistol) they want a sheet in a binder filled out and use some lame excuse that they are right next to the airport and it is a requirement from County Sheriff. Has anyone heard of this ( i know other shops in Concord do not require it). Also what is the legality of it?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM

I dislike buying ammo in CoCo county, but when I do, I buy from LGS's. Sports authority and big5 are overpriced. If you're in concord, buy from city arms (across from sun valley mall). I buy from city arms, triple A Vallejo, ammo depot Fairfield or basspro Manteca. Sometimes Walmart if they have stock.

To answer your question, they're feeding you BS. Nothing has passed that necessitates info gathering.

Last edited by SgtMerc; 02-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Premature iPhone sending
Old 03-01-2013, 1:20 PM

Where is "LGS"?
Old 03-01-2013, 2:25 PM

Local Gun Store
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM

i buy most of my ammo from walmart even in sacramento they do not require any thing.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:16 AM

Can you have ammo shipped to Contra Costa? I originally heard no, but saw posts saying yes.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 8:19 AM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymin View Post
Can you have ammo shipped to Contra Costa? I originally heard no, but saw posts saying yes.
Thanks
Yes you can. I live in Walnut Creek and have had no issue with cases of ammo shipped to on my doorstep for over 20 years.
-g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Yes you can. I live in Walnut Creek and have had no issue with cases of ammo shipped to on my doorstep for over 20 years.
-g
Thanks a bunch. I just ordered a trial shipment. Might be shooting the new AR soon.
Old 04-06-2013, 7:20 PM

Funny. I just bought 500 rounds of 9mm and 20 rounds of 12ga slug from Sports Authority and had no hassle at all. I buy from Canyon once in a while if I really need some to go shooting. They always have ammo but it's not always a great price.
Old 04-07-2013, 8:38 AM

Default ammo delivery to CoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymin View Post
Thanks
I know this was already answered, but I wanted to add that I, too, have had quite a few shipments without issue. At least a couple of the online places won't ship here (and wouldn't explain why), but I've had no questions, problems, or delays from Midway, Lucky Gunner, Ammunitiontogo, Palmetto State Armory, Ammo Supply Warehouse, etc. Most recent purchase delivered was last month.

I didn't see your city, but assume you're east of the Berkeley hills.
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 8:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Sheriff says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan1911 View Post
Ok, so I live and have purchased ammo in probably close to every city in Contra Costa County. I know in Sac County you have to fill out a form when you purchase ammo, but not in Contra Costa. Sports Authority in Concord wanted all kinds of info for purchasing ammo. I have purchased shot gun shells there before with no issues but anything in cabinet (rifle or pistol) they want a sheet in a binder filled out and use some lame excuse that they are right next to the airport and it is a requirement from County Sheriff. Has anyone heard of this ( i know other shops in Concord do not require it). Also what is the legality of it?
Probably some know nothing minimum wage clerk who was told by their supervisor who was told by their supervisor that's what the Sheriff wants. Maybe it's a store policy but ammo sales is not regulated, at least at this time.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 05-19-2013, 8:23 AM

There is evidently a legal difference between unincorporated areas of CoCo County and cities within the county regarding ammo sales.

In unincorporated areas (and iirc Sports Authority is technically not in the city of Concord), the law for checking ID/registering ammo purchases is in effect. It is not valid within city limits, unless the city chooses to mirror the county ordinance.

This creates a situation with some by-mail retailers (Sportsmen's Guide, fx) where they assume that, just because you are in CoCo county, they can't ship you ammo.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:54 AM

Sportsman's Guide suffers no confusion, they choose not to ship to CoCo County because they don't want your business.