Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-10-2013, 6:01 AM

Offering an online entry would really be appreciated. There were so many people at the March match that myself and 8 of my friends had to leave before the last stage. Please limit the attendees so we can get done without waiting 1hr between stages. I would gladly setup a paypal event portal on behalf of X3. The idea to charge more the day of event for registration is sound and should be enough of a bump to encourage people to get it done in advance.

This is a great club and big thanks to Sam and all the DWB staff that work so hard to put on such great events.
Old 05-10-2013, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentrack View Post
Offering an online entry would really be appreciated. There were so many people at the March match that myself and 8 of my friends had to leave before the last stage. Please limit the attendees so we can get done without waiting 1hr between stages. I would gladly setup a paypal event portal on behalf of X3. The idea to charge more the day of event for registration is sound and should be enough of a bump to encourage people to get it done in advance.

This is a great club and big thanks to Sam and all the DWB staff that work so hard to put on such great events.
I've tried doing the Pay Pal thing and what a PIA. The applications have been out for abot 3 days now and I have already received some back via the US mail.
I would encourage you all not to wait until the last minute to sign up. Take advantage of the app and squadding request on the back. I will be setting up the squads in advance as much as I can.

And I will cut this match off and limit the size of the squads!

It will be a full day of shooting, figuring about 45 minutes per squad that's about 4 to 5 hours. The good thing is we get to eat afterwards
Old 05-10-2013, 7:26 AM

Hypothetical- Say you get 80 application in advance (great). Then another 40 people show up the day of the event. Are you going to tell 30 people they need to pack up and go home? Many matches I have attended claims capacity limits and when more people show up they don't get turned away (which I understand) and makes it pretty miserable for the loyalists along with new people that think 1hr between stages is the "norm". There has to be a better way to make it efficient. How about make any overflow people have a start time at 12:00 then most of the pre-entered are done and there will be an offset flow? Unless you plan on turning away people then it becomes a moot issue.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM

The shooters that preregistered will not suffer!

I will either turn shooters away or come up with a differet plan of attack

I have been to matches that finish by headlights, not going to do it.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

any idea how many spots are still left?

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 05-10-2013, 8:04 PM

Can I still run my 5+1 Mossberg 500 in the Pump division now that it's 8+1?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
Yes. I'm pretty sure you could run it in open if you wanted too.
Old 05-11-2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
Yes, you can run your pump but, sign up in the limited class and if I get enough people I will create your own division with trophy. I really want to have a 5+1 division in the match.
Old 05-17-2013, 7:47 AM

Any update on shooter count? I just put my check in the mail and am trying to convince a couple others to come.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:28 AM

At this time there are still plenty of spots left.
I will try to give you an accurate count next week
Old 05-22-2013, 1:11 PM

O.K. the weekend has come and gone, we are about 20% full as of right now. Still plenty of time but I wouldn't wait till the last minute.
Old 05-27-2013, 2:51 PM

I'm in Sammy!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 7:25 PM

I'm in. Let's sling some lead!
Old 06-01-2013, 1:46 PM

Hey Paul,

Nice to see your post. I look forward to seeing you at the match.

The match entries are coming along nicely. We might not hit the 90 number but we will be around 70-80. Which is fine with me.

I'm leaving for IronMan in two days and when I get back I should be able to get this months 3 gun match as well as this Shotgun match into hi gear.

Please tell your friends that are sitting on the fence to mail their app in. It will save me a lot of time the day of the match if I don't have to enter everyone into the system right then.
Old 06-07-2013, 8:15 AM

I'm in.
Old 06-17-2013, 9:20 PM

I'm in - I'm a trap/sporting clays shooter who's never shot this type of match - hope to get my butt kicked and to learn and have some fun! Any advice for a complete noob?

I'll be mailing my app and check this week - looks like I'll be buying some stuff and learning to run my M2 in the next couple of weeks!

Last edited by RayPDA; 06-17-2013 at 9:32 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayReys View Post
I'm in - I'm a trap/sporting clays shooter who's never shot this type of match - hope to get my butt kicked and to learn and have some fun! Any advice for a complete noob?

I'll be mailing my app and check this week - looks like I'll be buying some stuff and learning to run my M2 in the next couple of weeks!
Pick up a box of dummy shotgun shells. I got a box of 25 at brownells, but it looks like they are out of stock now. Then you'll want a bunch of 4 or 6 round strippers. California Competition Works or Choate make the cheapest ones. There are some aluminum models too, but they are much more expensive.

Then just practice reloading, over and over. Also -- a couple people at the matches I attend have brand new M2s. They both seem to have some difficulty with human error -- they keep triggering the mag lockout switch. I'd suggest reading the manual so that sort of thing doesn't happen to you.
Old 06-18-2013, 9:06 AM

If any one needs shell carriers, I have a some that I can lend for the match.
Just PM me.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Ordered five 4 round caddies and now looking at belts; thanks for the advice silentpea; will find some dummy rounds and start practicing
Old 06-21-2013, 6:34 AM

get a CR Speed belt 2-4" more than your true waist size

Old 06-22-2013, 4:50 PM

Thanks for the tip Bobby - just ordered one, and will return the Safariland competition outer belt I just bought from Turners
Old 06-23-2013, 9:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Have a good match, fellas! I'm traveling so can't make it.
Old 06-23-2013, 3:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Should I mail in my application tomorrow or just show up? There will be two of us.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 06-23-2013, 3:52 PM

If there are no more than two of you then just go ahead and show up. I'm sure we can get you on a squad of your choosing
Old 06-24-2013, 6:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houston View Post
If there are no more than two of you then just go ahead and show up. I'm sure we can get you on a squad of your choosing
There are just two of us and we will shoot with anybody. And we don't slack so you won't get any complaints about the squirrels who didn't reset targets and were slower than dirt. Not saying we are going to win, but we won't ruin anyone's day.

We are looking forward to it. See you there!

Hey, would I be out of line if I shot two guns? I am thinking about shooting my 870 hunting gun. Personally, I don't think that gun puts me at much of a disadvantage being 4+1. It is all about loading and since my shell carriers hold four, you shoot four times and reload. I actually did pretty good with it in our little Tactical Match we had two months ago. I actually got 5th overall out of 13 total shooters. Only the one open shooter and the top three semi-auto guys beat me and then I beat the rest of everyone with pump and semi-auto.

Nah forget it. I will choose one or the other. That is a whole lot of ammo and shooting for one day. I really am tempted to give the pumps a go, but will probably end up shooting the M2.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 06-24-2013 at 7:02 AM..
Old 06-24-2013, 7:17 AM

I want to go, but the 6 hour drive from here is a killer. Do you think the bullet train will go to Piru once it's finished?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Crap, I am back to wanting to shoot both again.

I really think I could give the pump category a whirl with my old hunting 870. Yet that isn't a glamorous game and that puts the fancy Benelli M2 to waste.

I don't know what to do!

Sam, how many people are signed up for the pump division?

I think Wednesday I will try seeing how I do with my slugs in both guns and that might determine it.

Old 06-24-2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Crap, I am back to wanting to shoot both again.
Personally -- I wouldn't have any issue with someone shooting different guns as long as it doesn't slow the squad down.
Old 06-24-2013, 2:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPea View Post
Personally -- I wouldn't have any issue with someone shooting different guns as long as it doesn't slow the squad down.
It shouldn't be any different than me being two shooters. Same shell caddies and I will use the same ammunition for both.

Old 06-24-2013, 3:58 PM

O.K. Here's the latest scoop on the match. I'm not going to get ninety shooters and I'm OK with that. It looks like we will be right around 60ish. Should make for a great day. It will be very warm according g to the weather man so make sure and spread the word to bring plenty of water and drinks. The lunch or linner what ever you want to call it will be meatballs on an open face sandwich, Cesar salad dinks and desert. No breakfast will be a ail able so be sure to eat breakfast and bring a snack.

You will need minimum of 150 birdshot, 6 slugs and 10 buckshot. I'm trying to keep down the Slug and Buck to make it easier for the entry level competitors to compete.
It looks like its going to be 2 divisions or classes, limited and pump. I have no Open shooters at this point, so if you are an open shooter and thinking about attending you might want to bring along a limited gun. I have 2 shooters in the stock class so they most likely get sucked up into the limited class as well.

There is still plenty of room in the match and you will be able to come out and sign up on Saturday morning.

I will be out there Friday morning early setting up and if you are available and can come out, I could sure use the help.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them and I will get back to you as I can.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:59 PM

I Sam,

I just mailed out my registration and fee this morning, and am in for the limited division

tenpercent, if you're okay with a COMPLETE beginner, mind if I tag along and learn from you guys?
Old 06-24-2013, 7:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayReys View Post
tenpercent, if you're okay with a COMPLETE beginner, mind if I tag along and learn from you guys?
We won't be registered until Saturday morning, but we will shoot with anyone. The key to being a pleasure to shoot with is to pay attention and help reset and then when you are the next guy up, have your gear ready to go and start preparing. If you do that, you will be fine in any squad. We are more than happy to show you the ropes.

And if you have never shot one of these matches the most important thing to remember other than safety is...RELOAD!!!

I still don't know what I want to do. Maybe I should shoot two guns. With only 60 shooters, that is doable and I shouldn't ruin anyone's day. Well except my shoulder's and maybe my finger where that pump rubs me raw.

Old 06-24-2013, 7:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

If you're shooting a pump and haven't opened your loading port, do some prep work and bring some extra band aids. I swear those things are built to chew up shooters' fingers.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
If you're shooting a pump and haven't opened your loading port, do some prep work and bring some extra band aids. I swear those things are built to chew up shooters' fingers.
It wasn't the loading port, it was the wooden fore end. I was pumping so much it rubbed my finger raw. When I go sight in my slugs, I might practice with my bicycle gloves on. If I didn't weak hand load I would just wear a regular glove.

Old 06-27-2013, 4:34 PM

Last post before the match, I will be at the range early tomorrow setting up.
There is no reception out there so any further questions or thoughts directed at me will have to wait until Saturday.
It is going to be very warm this weekend, if you think you need a case of water, bring two cases you will need it and it won't go bad. But, if you don't have it you will hate life. No joke.
Old 06-27-2013, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Its calling or 106 degrees in SCV this weekend so stay hydrated guys. Piru might be a little cooler but not much.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Its calling or 106 degrees in SCV this weekend so stay hydrated guys. Piru might be a little cooler but not much.
Hard to say in that Canyon, might be worse....depends on the wind direction. Either way, like Sam said, everyone be prepared for the heat. There is very little shade out there if you've never been to DWB.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:42 AM

Rats! To far away from Folsom.

And no Joe Biden (dbl barrel) class!
Old 06-28-2013, 8:05 PM

I just completed some of my packing - I'm excited! I just realized I should have bought one or two more 4 round caddies than the 5 I bought...lol oh well...I should probably just try not to miss
Old 06-28-2013, 9:06 PM

Gonna be africa hot tomorrow...there is no breeze in Piru, CA ever!! I wish there was a pool at the china town stage!!!