Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Need some advice on instructing a guy before basic

A friend of mine is shipping out to basic training in July, he has signed up for Naval service. I never got the chance to serve myself, so I am unfamiliar with what is covered in basic. He wants to go in with a leg up on guys who have never been trained on Rifles and Handguns.

He owns a shotgun, he is damn good with that already.

I have been taking him to the range to get him acquainted with the AR-15 and a 9mm hand gun. He has taken to the rifle well. The handgun, not so much.

What exercises can I teach him, and have him practice on?

What distances should I have him practice at with the AR-15 , and what distances with the 9mm semi auto? Are there any specific exercises I can help him with? With the rifle he was able to stay on a human shaped target with every shot, I do have a scope on my rifle though, should I take it off and make him practice with iron sights?

I have walked him through grips, breathing, stances and safety (had to break him of sweeping the other shooters on the range, scared the **** out of me when he swept me with a 12 gauge). We are on BLM land, so there was no range master to yell at him.

What can the vets out there, and experienced shooters recommend?

I just want to make sure he ships out with the basics down.

Thanks Calgunners.
Old 04-19-2013, 9:50 AM
Banned

Only the fundamentals of stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. For pistol, start at 3 yards from the low ready one shot, repeat.
Old 04-19-2013, 2:21 PM

Thanks Highlander. I will start with that.
Old 04-19-2013, 3:12 PM

IM sent
Old 05-02-2013, 5:11 PM

I have some advice. Let the U.S. Military teach them how THEY want him to shoot.
Old 05-02-2013, 5:20 PM

Is he going into a rate that is specific for those weapons?

In boot he will probably not get any trigger time until near the end. And even then, it won't be much time. At least that's how it was for me when I went through boot in Great Lakes.

I don't know if they have changed much, I do know when I finished boot they got rid of service week.
Old 05-02-2013, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAvery View Post
What exercises can I teach him, and have him practice on?
Pushups.
Old 05-02-2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRaider View Post
I have some advice. Let the U.S. Military teach them how THEY want him to shoot.
Exactly, they teach what they want, don't want to have to unlearn.

Start push ups and running now.

Go with an open mind, dont take anything personal, and be a team player, look out for Each other, and help each other.

Boot camp/basic is designed to take a person who knows nothing and gets them all up to a standard level. So of you pay attention, you will get it.

I have been to 3, navy, then Canadian (military exchange), then army. I was basic'ed out. Plus never liked short hair.

Nothing, to stress over as long as you can learn to let thing roll off you. But, pay attention!

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 05-03-2013, 9:10 AM

The Navy isn't real big on shooting in boot camp. When I went through we fired exactly 30 rounds of 22LR through converted 1911s. Shooting should be the last thing you worry about. Make sure your are in shape and can pass the PT tests from day 1 in boot camp and you will be fine.

Old 05-07-2013, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRaider View Post
This is probably the way to go at this point.

There are some exceptions, though. Kids who shoot NRA/CMP High Power Rifle have a leg up on people in Basic.

Just recently, one of the CA Junior HP Rifle Team members made Marine Corps Distinguished Rifleman. He already had EIC points as a civilian before he enlisted, but Legged out in the Corps after placing in the Western Division matches.

I can guarantee that the instructors in basic didn't improve upon what he already knew.

Also, IIRC, by going Distinguished Rifleman in the Corps, he no longer has to do annual rifle qualifications (holds Marine Corps 'Expert' for rest of career).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations

Last edited by ocabj; 05-07-2013 at 5:15 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 PM

Push-Ups, Bends & Thrusts, Jumping Jacks, Wind sprints, a couple of non stop1 mile runs, back to back of course. Let the Military show him how to shoot.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
This is probably the way to go at this point.

There are some exceptions, though. Kids who shoot NRA/CMP High Power Rifle have a leg up on people in Basic.

Just recently, one of the CA Junior HP Rifle Team members made Marine Corps Distinguished Rifleman. He already had EIC points as a civilian before he enlisted, but Legged out in the Corps after placing in the Western Division matches.

I can guarantee that the instructors in basic didn't improve upon what he already knew.

Also, IIRC, by going Distinguished Rifleman in the Corps, he no longer has to do annual rifle qualifications (holds Marine Corps 'Expert' for rest of career).
I rarely do annual rifle/pistol qualifications. Deployment waivers for the win. Of course I've spent some portion of every year in a combat zone since 2007...but it's a small price to pay to avoid having to snap in for a week....