Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2013, 2:55 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default Which mount for Bushnell G2DMR 4.5-30x on AR platform

I want to mount a Bushnell G2MDR scope to my LR-308, and it has a 34mm tube , but I also want a 20moa cant.
The handguard is a JP tube, which will sit lower than the rail (and I don't have any current plants to put one on the handguard either).

I like the AD mount
http://www.americandefensemanufactur...w/product/298/
but my calculations put it about .4" above the rail. That seems a bit high.

This would would put it at .045 above the rail, but there is no forward offset or 20moa cant. Not sure if this would even work.
http://www.americandefensemanufactur...w/product/322/

I do not require a QD mount, but I think I will need the forward offset? I'm not sure...

larue mount has 10moa cant
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-t...s-mount-lt-158
Would put it at .275" above the rail. However they don't give specifics to various ring sizes so I'm thinking it might just be an estimate? Wouldn't a larger tube diameter change the centerline? Maybe not depending how they make the rings I suppose.

Goal is a 1000 yard capable rifle scope and mount.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 04-09-2013 at 4:50 PM.. Reason: Changed scope to Bushnell G2DMR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-28-2013, 6:19 PM
zio707's Avatar
zio707 zio707 is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 853
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The scope you getting I think is around 35oz, over two pounds of weight. I'd maybe consider something from Jon Aadland, he makes quality stuff.

http://swfa.com/Aadland-AR-35mm-Scope-Mount-P53701.aspx
__________________
"Fish to Live, Live to Hunt"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zio707 View Post
The scope you getting I think is around 35oz, over two pounds of weight. I'd maybe consider something from Jon Aadland, he makes quality stuff.

http://swfa.com/Aadland-AR-35mm-Scope-Mount-P53701.aspx
That sets it up about right dosen't it. Seems to be Kinda of an older style mount though, and very pricy. I'm thinking the 10moa mount on the larue might do the job for $100 less and it has that fancy VFZ mount system that will hold zero if you remove it? Or do you think this mount is not robust enough? It is indeed a very heavy scope for an AR now that I think about it. But it will have a 24" bull barrel on it and PRS stock, so the gun will be anything but light weight anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2013, 2:11 PM
HK Dave's Avatar
HK Dave HK Dave is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rowland Heights, CA
Posts: 5,069
iTrader: 67 / 100%
Default

If you want QD, at 35mm I think those may be your only options. Bobro and GDI are superior to both of those mounts for return to zero... especially for a precision rifle being shot out to 1000 yards... but I don't believe they come in 35mm.

I highly suggest AADLAND mounts if you're ok with non QD.

If you got the bucks, Spuhr is awesome.
__________________
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2013, 2:19 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
If you want QD, at 35mm I think those may be your only options. Bobro and GDI are superior to both of those mounts for return to zero... especially for a precision rifle being shot out to 1000 yards... but I don't believe they come in 35mm.

I highly suggest AADLAND mounts if you're ok with non QD.

If you got the bucks, Spuhr is awesome.
So the non QD Larue Mount is no good? They say with VFZ they guarantee a return to zero.

For the American Defense, I found a bunch of reviews stating that people liked the design better than the Bobro, although I don't think they did a return to zero test. But yea Bobro and GDI don't make 35mm rings. AADLAND looks nice but I'm not sure what makes it worth $100 more than the Larue mount?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2013, 2:38 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,661
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

HK Dave has it right…

Personally I would never buy a VFZ Larue mount… $50 difference but its small money in the grand scheme of things. I have a couple Larue mounts and I love the QD levers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
AADLAND looks nice but I'm not sure what makes it worth $100 more than the Larue mount?
Built in anti-cant bubble level is a nice touch for one…

6 screws per ring, 4 x cross bolts, they use quality hardware and it’s a well-engineered stout mount.


Last edited by ExtremeX; 03-29-2013 at 2:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2013, 4:36 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
HK Dave has it right…

Personally I would never buy a VFZ Larue mount… $50 difference but its small money in the grand scheme of things. I have a couple Larue mounts and I love the QD levers.



Built in anti-cant bubble level is a nice touch for one…

6 screws per ring, 4 x cross bolts, they use quality hardware and it’s a well-engineered stout mount.
The level looks nice, and might be usable since I will probably not add a BUIS.

If you select the VFZ option for the larue mount you subtract $50, so the difference in price is more like $100 bucks, which to me is significant if it will do the same thing minus the bubble level.

The Larue QD mounts are ok, I own a couple, but as others complain they can chew the rails. I really I don't care or have a real problem with this on my AR-15's or when using replacable rails, however since this is going on a matched upper and lower I'd rather not have any chewing if I don't need to. I know the rifle is a tool, but still :P

I might end up with this mount, I just need to justify the extra $100. It looks like I'm going to have to save up a little longer because I just bought an SR gold trigger, chronograph and some other things to finish off the build.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2013, 4:58 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,661
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

I was referring to VFZ being $50 less than the QD lever version…

Just get the mount and love it… It sounds like you wanted and bough a quality scope… just get a mounting solution you like.

I wish I got one the first go around for my bench AR… I ended up buying an anti-cant bubble anyways which cost around $50 and then I still have to level the level… which pissed me off.

Any time I do that… save the $50 or $100 game, it always comes back to bite me…
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2013, 8:52 PM
zio707's Avatar
zio707 zio707 is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 853
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
That sets it up about right dosen't it. Seems to be Kinda of an older style mount though, and very pricy. I'm thinking the 10moa mount on the larue might do the job for $100 less and it has that fancy VFZ mount system that will hold zero if you remove it? Or do you think this mount is not robust enough? It is indeed a very heavy scope for an AR now that I think about it. But it will have a 24" bull barrel on it and PRS stock, so the gun will be anything but light weight anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zio707 View Post
The scope you getting I think is around 35oz, over two pounds of weight. I'd maybe consider something from Jon Aadland, he makes quality stuff.

http://swfa.com/Aadland-AR-35mm-Scope-Mount-P53701.aspx

No, Jon's mount's are not old style at all. He's an engineer for Boeing as well has a long range shooter. His mounts, rings too, are rugged as hell. The mount I linked to has the bubble level too if that's what your in to.

If you want QD, the La Rue is nice but personally I'd buy the Bobro. I have both and my experience with the La Rue QD mount, it's kinda hard on the rail after awhile of removing and reattaching. The Bobro just slips on and off, no adjustment needed and very strong too.

What ever you choice, I think the mount or rings and base setup is just as important as the scope, you want a good foundation to hold your optics. Let us know what you decide and please post pics!
__________________
"Fish to Live, Live to Hunt"

Last edited by zio707; 03-29-2013 at 9:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zio707 View Post
No, Jon's mount's are not old style at all. He's an engineer for Boeing as well has a long range shooter. His mounts, rings too, are rugged as hell. The mount I linked to has the bubble level too if that's what your in to.

If you want QD, the La Rue is nice but personally I'd buy the Bobro. I have both and my experience with the La Rue QD mount, it's kinda hard on the rail after awhile of removing and reattaching. The Bobro just slips on and off, no adjustment needed and very strong too.

What ever you choice, I think the mount or rings and base setup is just as important as the scope, you want a good foundation to hold your optics. Let us know what you decide and please post pics!
Yea Bobro was on the list until I realized they do not make a 35mm mount. Thats why I started looking to AD, but I believe it leaves the scope a little higher than I would like. If I get the Larue it would not be the QD style, I'd rather have the guarantee of holding zero on a dismount than a QD mount for this rifle. I have a couple Larue QD mounts myself (for a bipod and magnifier).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Aeonstar Aeonstar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 324
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

you will be a very happy camper with the aadland mount. I did just get one so i am biased

just a fyi you might want to check around. What started me looking at the aadland was the Laurue had no 20moa slant mounts made and no ETA for when they would be. Its been a month or so things could have changed.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,661
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Yea Bobro was on the list until I realized they do not make a 35mm mount. Thats why I started looking to AD, but I believe it leaves the scope a little higher than I would like. If I get the Larue it would not be the QD style, I'd rather have the guarantee of holding zero on a dismount than a QD mount for this rifle. I have a couple Larue QD mounts myself (for a bipod and magnifier).
Just a heads up… I don’t think you understand the difference between the Larue QD and the VFZ mounting system…

It’s essentially the exact same thing… one needs a tool and the other used a simple throw lever. The clamping technologies between the two mounts are the same. It’s actually easier to maintain a reliable return to zero with the QD style since you need to index the VFZ mounts in order to return to zero.

This statement on the Larue website applys when compared to other NON QD mounts.

“Once installed on the firearm, index marks allow the user to remove the mount, then reattach to the same tension, providing unprecedented return to zero for a non-QD-levered mount. The unique vertical alignment of the clamp allows components that are structurally stronger than traditional cross-bolt designs.”

You can call Laure to confirm, it’s something I have already done in the past. Like I said... I see no reason not to get the QD style unless you are really strapped for $50 bucks.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 04-01-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2013, 4:38 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Thanks for all the info I'm sold on the Aadland mount. However I have changed scopes and will be getting a Bushnell XRS instead.

So now I need a mount with 34mm rings. The Aadland mount is for 34mm is made from a different aluminum and has no bubble level. Is it still worth it? The American Defense mount looks nice too but not quite as solid? Cheaper though and it has QD. I see the Aadland makes inserts for the 35mm mount, but doesn't that take away from the mount? It's also $20 more for the inserts.
http://shop.aadmount.com/main.sc

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 04-08-2013 at 4:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2013, 5:12 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,661
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

That bubble was a nice selling point for me... and I was never a huge fan of scope ring inserts so I hear you.

Its a hard choice as its not a common tube size. I still think I would end up in the Larue department if I wasnt able to get the Aadland or Bobro in the config I wanted.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2013, 5:20 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
That bubble was a nice selling point for me... and I was never a huge fan of scope ring inserts so I hear you.

Its a hard choice as its not a common tube size. I still think I would end up in the Larue department if I wasnt able to get the Aadland or Bobro in the config I wanted.
Larue does make them for 34mm, I have heard better thigns about American Defense mounts than Bobro and Larue lately though. I think Aadland gets the scope closer to the bore.

Aadland also makes a 34mm mount, but I can't tell from the pictures if it is offset or not.

JP mount looks nice too http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFTSM-34

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 04-08-2013 at 5:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2013, 7:24 PM
zio707's Avatar
zio707 zio707 is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 853
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonstar View Post
you will be a very happy camper with the aadland mount. I did just get one so i am biased

just a fyi you might want to check around. What started me looking at the aadland was the Laurue had no 20moa slant mounts made and no ETA for when they would be. Its been a month or so things could have changed.

Ha, there's Jon's mount.... NICE!!!
__________________
"Fish to Live, Live to Hunt"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

contacted Aadland, they said they might make something in 6-9 months for 34mm tubes. THey suggested I just get their mount and buy the 1 mm spacers. Not sure the mount is as good if I have to buy spacers. I think there are still some of the Gen1 mounts out there for 34mm tubes but not sure if the design warrents getting them over others.

I don't think I realized this would be so much of a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-09-2013, 7:47 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,654
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

I'd opt for the American Defense Mount. I've used a few of their mounts now and have been impressed with the quality of their stuff. I like their QD set up more than LaRue, as it uses 2 full width steel cross bars to engage the rail surface rather than some milled aluminum recoil lugs like LaRue. On a scope that weighs 30+ ounces, that will be a lot more resistant to shifting under recoil. The ADM QD mounts also don't chew up the mounting surfaces of the rail like Larue, the clamping pressure is applied over a larger surface area.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I'd opt for the American Defense Mount. I've used a few of their mounts now and have been impressed with the quality of their stuff. I like their QD set up more than LaRue, as it uses 2 full width steel cross bars to engage the rail surface rather than some milled aluminum recoil lugs like LaRue. On a scope that weighs 30+ ounces, that will be a lot more resistant to shifting under recoil. The ADM QD mounts also don't chew up the mounting surfaces of the rail like Larue, the clamping pressure is applied over a larger surface area.
Interesting I always though aluminum on aluminum caused less wear.

In either case what about the rest of the mount? this review has me wondering on the quality of the rings themselves.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/1...omparison.html

Of course everyone on AR15 loves larue....

Seems most people that have all 3 typically like the Bobro the best, and ADM and Larue are next. Larue certainly has the cleanest style, and I have a really nice mount from them for my FTS that they no longer make. I hear great things about the quality of the actual rings, I wonder why ADM cut out so much of the are that clamps the scope?

The one thing I do not like about the ADM is the height over bore it is the highest of the bunch at 1.55", heck I was thinking to sacrifice the 20 moa cant to only 10 moa and get the LT158 because it is only 1.44" over the rail which is just about right.

Still others suggest I get a 20moa rail like this one http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...roductid=17529 then use nice scope rings to get it even lower.

The JP rail seems like a more secure mount than any QD mount and has a height of 1.5" over the bore. The maching on it isn't as nice as larue, but might match ADM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-2013, 8:48 AM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,654
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Precision Reflex also makes risers for flat top AR's, as well as some designed specifically for the longer 308 AR receivers. they have them in 0, 20, and 30 moa versions. Couple that with some good 34mm rings (I like TPS products) and you should have a pretty solid setup, although it won't be QD.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-11-2013, 4:11 PM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I think I'm going to end up going with the ADM mount, its a little higher than I would like but hopefully I can adjust that out with the PRS stock. I was really tempted to get a Larue again, but after reading about some peoples shifting under heavier recoil I thought I would try something new. It was a very difficult decision. Larue has the best look of them all and they use helicoils for the threaded portions which really had me wanting to stick with them. Some people may have had issues but another guy with a .260 AR has never had a problem with his.

The JP looked very nice as well as the Badger ordinance. The Badger that put the scope at 1.375" would have won, but I'm worried it might be slightly too low, and it didn't have as much eye relief adjustment. I'm not sure what it had for recoil lugs either, but the JP mount only has 1 (which really is probably enough with 6 bolts through the crossbar...)

I decided the nightforce mount was just too expensive for what it is, although the centerline was perfect. And the Bobro was way to expensive for something that puts the centerline at 1.620" if it was 1.5" or less I might have splurged for the $325+.

I would have purchased the Aadmount after all my research, it was my favorite mount of them all, but I didn't want to use a reducer for 34mm and the Spuhr is overkill and most expensive.

If the Spuhr was $100 less, or the Nightforce about $60 less I would have opted for one of those over what I got.

If the JP mount was still $150 it might have won as well. The Badger with centerline 1.49" or maybe even the 1.375 well, it was a tie with the ADM for me. The badger might be more solid, but I figured the ADM might be easier to sell later.

Trying to add it to my scope order so it's not official yet

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 04-11-2013 at 4:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Justintoxicated's Avatar
Justintoxicated Justintoxicated is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,740
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

My scope was already on the way, so I ended up not getting the AD mount.


I'm sure it is a good mount but I decided that a one piece mount would be better for 1000 yard consistency. I went with the JP 34mm mount. Unfortunately it is no 20moa, but I THINK with my reticle and elevation adjustment range I won't miss it. If not perhaps I will upgrade to the new style Aadland 34mm mount once it becomes available.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-13-2013, 1:35 AM
DrDanMD DrDanMD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 444
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

This thread has been helpful, thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:20 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.