Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-06-2013, 5:08 PM

Default Barska 2-7x32 point black.

Guys I need a scope for my AR. This is my only centerfire rifle. All my others are rimfire. I currently own a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14.5 sf mildot. Great scope but I'm saving it to put on a 308 I'm building.

Like I said it's my only rifle. So it's my do it all, I plan on using it and not worry about the $$ scope that's on it when it gets banged out in the field or on the range and also when I let someone else use it.

I looked at the other Nikons like the p-223. The SWFA SS 6x and the new Redfield battlezone. While these are good scopes they just weren't what I was looking for. I stopped by Big 5 to see what they had in stock.

When I picked up the Barska I was like "wow". It was clear granted due to not alot of magnification. I was able to look through it with both eyes open at lowest setting. At 7x I felt confident to make a hit across the parking lot. It also has mildots which is another thing i was looking for. I'm ignoring the bdc turrets completely.

The only thing holding me back is what everyone says about Barska. Honestly I fell in love with it.

What do you think or what else can you recommend under $200 that provides versatility. I will be shot from 0-500 yrds.
Old 05-06-2013, 5:54 PM

Lol
Old 05-06-2013, 6:22 PM

Buddy you're looking at a airsoft scope.
Old 05-06-2013, 6:30 PM

Default Airsoft

Really? The only thing I found good was the Bushnell elite 3200.
Old 05-06-2013, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Shooting out to 500 yards sounds like a tall order for a $114 scope from a manufacture that has a reputation for failures and tracking issues…

Really in the $200 price range, plenty of options on the low end from reputable manufactures for me to consider before buying Barska.

Personally I think you should do a little more reading on the subject so you can make an informed decision as to which scope is best for you, your application and shooting style.
Old 05-06-2013, 6:58 PM

if you want a cheap scope that works well. try bsa platinum or something. i have a bsa platinum on my .243 bolt action and i like it alot. its very clear when focused properly. i shoot 1 moa all day long, and thats with cheap federal 100 grn. 500 yds is no issue whatsoever it is actually very clear. and i do have experience with much nicer scopes and this one holds its own no prob. the one i have is bsa platinum 8-32x44 mil dot. but 32 power is pretty much pointless but i crank it to 20 or so not much more. id be looking for like 4-16x for an ar.

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 05-06-2013, 8:14 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

nikon prostaff, burris fullfield II, Bushnell 3200, I could go on and so could others. If you are seriously considering wasting $ on a barska you need to learn more or just take that money and throw it on the ground at a bus stop full of people and watch. It will be better spent that way than on Barska.
FS NIB Browning A5 12 gauge - $1,000 (over $500 off retail)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1201509
Old 05-06-2013, 8:15 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I have a nikon buckmasters 4x40 I will sell you for $120 shipped out of pity. Great condition. PM me if interested.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Ok how about these.

Redfield Battlezone 3-9x42 $199.http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x42-Batt...it-P62005.aspx

Nikon P-223 3-9x 40 $169.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918...-reticle-matte

Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 $169.95 http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-All...pe-P44586.aspx

I appreciate the help guys. Thanks for the comments.
Old 05-07-2013, 7:51 AM
Vendor/Retailer

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_..._p/pa6xrbd.htm

This was designed around the AR and has the ACSS reticle in it

Dimitri
Old 05-07-2013, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzy View Post
Guys I need a scope for my AR. This is my only centerfire rifle. All my others are rimfire. I currently own a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14.5 sf mildot. Great scope but I'm saving it to put on a 308 I'm building.

Like I said it's my only rifle. So it's my do it all, I plan on using it and not worry about the $$ scope that's on it when it gets banged out in the field or on the range and also when I let someone else use it.

I looked at the other Nikons like the p-223. The SWFA SS 6x and the new Redfield battlezone. While these are good scopes they just weren't what I was looking for. I stopped by Big 5 to see what they had in stock.

When I picked up the Barska I was like "wow". It was clear granted due to not alot of magnification. I was able to look through it with both eyes open at lowest setting. At 7x I felt confident to make a hit across the parking lot. It also has mildots which is another thing i was looking for. I'm ignoring the bdc turrets completely.

The only thing holding me back is what everyone says about Barska. Honestly I fell in love with it.

What do you think or what else can you recommend under $200 that provides versatility. I will be shot from 0-500 yrds.
Key stuff in bold.

FOR ME, I recommend blowing your budget. I know, I know, not what you wanted to hear, but hear me out. 500 yards? I REALLY recommend a leupold VX-2 2-7 or 3-9 (any) with the CDS dial. It's awesome. But at $350, almost double your budget.

However, you said $200. so, in that mindset, I recommend a USED Vari-X II, VX-II, or VX-2 in 2-7 or 3x9 (any). That is within budget and is the same scope minus CDS, which you can have installed any time you want by Leupold for $100.

Only want new? I suggest Redfield, 2-7 or 3-9. Any. AS LONG as it's made in Oregon, not China. Make sure you got the right model. Also under $200, I think?

That's just me. For a bang around, keeps on ticking, and does it ALL.
Old 05-07-2013, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

oh, and consider lew's buckmaster. I have the 1x buckmaster on a pistol and it is GREAT. a fixed scope solves alot of headache. Thoraeu said Simplify, yes?
Old 05-07-2013, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryArms View Post
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_..._p/pa6xrbd.htm

This was designed around the AR and has the ACSS reticle in it

Dimitri
Hey, is primary considering a pistol scope? I'd like to see a low power pistol scope with large eye box in a COMPACT size with a huge eyebox and that acss reticle. I don't care abotu the drop compensator but the illumination would be nice for "snap" hunting.

The leupold 2x has a TINY eyebox and is too big (length, primarily).

Looks like PA has some nice compact models.

--

I even like the idea of target knobs because sometimes I like to shoot fat bullets slow and lighter bullets fast. Would make scope changes easier.

Just throwing that out there. Right now if I want a COMPACT pistol scope my only real option is NcStar. That'll go down like a lead balloon.
Old 05-07-2013, 2:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Hey, is primary considering a pistol scope? I'd like to see a low power pistol scope with large eye box in a COMPACT size with a huge eyebox and that acss reticle. I don't care abotu the drop compensator but the illumination would be nice for "snap" hunting.

The leupold 2x has a TINY eyebox and is too big (length, primarily).

Looks like PA has some nice compact models.

--

I even like the idea of target knobs because sometimes I like to shoot fat bullets slow and lighter bullets fast. Would make scope changes easier.

Just throwing that out there. Right now if I want a COMPACT pistol scope my only real option is NcStar. That'll go down like a lead balloon.
The ACSS in a pistol! I guess you could use the leads but ranging and bdc for a pistol at 50 yards?

Dimitri
Old 05-07-2013, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I shoot pistol at 100 yards.

But that makes no difference. Maybe I am misreading the reticle picture, but it looked like a substantial illuminated section that would be excellent for pistol hunting.

Then a "more traditional" crosshair for shooting at the range, rested. Would make load development easier. The subtension would make no difference other than for interest when switching loads from a light and fast bullet to a slow and heavy one.

Otherwise, the subtensions wouldn't be used at all. Like the previous post stated, don't care about the drop compensator. It's the other benefits.

I like 50% of the package. As you mentioned, the other 50% might be ridiculous in a pistolscope. But the useful 50% isn't really available in any pistol scope of reasonable price or easy availability. Perhaps not available.

Again, I might be mis-reading the reticle pic.

---------------------------

Anyway, your response is a pretty clear answer in and of itself. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2013, 5:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I shoot pistol at 100 yards.

But that makes no difference. Maybe I am misreading the reticle picture, but it looked like a substantial illuminated section that would be excellent for pistol hunting.

Then a "more traditional" crosshair for shooting at the range, rested. Would make load development easier. The subtension would make no difference other than for interest when switching loads from a light and fast bullet to a slow and heavy one.

Otherwise, the subtensions wouldn't be used at all. Like the previous post stated, don't care about the drop compensator. It's the other benefits.

I like 50% of the package. As you mentioned, the other 50% might be ridiculous in a pistolscope. But the useful 50% isn't really available in any pistol scope of reasonable price or easy availability. Perhaps not available.

Again, I might be mis-reading the reticle pic.

---------------------------

Anyway, your response is a pretty clear answer in and of itself. Thank you.
The reticle is set to range targets out to 800 yards and BDC on those ranges.
I see what u mean on just the Horseshoe

Dimitri
Old 05-14-2013, 7:22 PM

Default Follow up

Ok guys this is what I ended up going with.

Old 05-14-2013, 7:24 PM

It cost me $180. I'm aware it's made in the philipines. I'm okay with that since both my nikons are also. I just received it so I can't comment more on it. Ty for advising me not to buy the barska.
Old 05-14-2013, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

That’s a huge upgrade from the Barska.

Redfield makes an excellent entry level product.
Old 05-17-2013, 5:21 AM

Now all u need is to learn the mill system all the formulas and 2 calculators.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I'm impressed with you getting photos showing the full field of view.
Old 05-26-2013, 2:16 PM

Friends don't let friends buy Barska...

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 05-26-2013 at 2:22 PM..