Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 9:02 PM
latigidyblod latigidyblod is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 187
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default Frame repair question on non-roster handgun.

Posted this on the handgun section. Wanting a definite response:

Always had this question in the back of my mind.

Firearm owner is in legal possession of handgun that is not on CADOJ handgun roster certified for sale. Examples, Glock 19 Gen 4, non-ca Sig Sauers, HK P30, non roster 1911s.

Handgun, that is not on a the handgun roster certified for sale, breaks and when contacting manufacturer, deems that the firearm will be replaced. They will be sending a handgun with different serial number.

I know that the handgun has to be delivered to a FFL, but does it end there?

Since the handgun is not on the roster, will the FFL be unable to transfer the handgun to the owner who got a warranty replacement? Or, will the owner be able to take possession after going through transfer process of receiving the handgun because it is not a sale, but a "transfer". Or, will the firearm owner have to go about exempting from the roster by doing SSE?
Smith & Wesson M&P 9, Smith & Wesson M&P 9 VTAC, Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9, Glock 17 Gen 4, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 26 Gen 4, Sig Sauer P226 Tacops, Sig Sauer P226 Legion.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. 22/45 Mk. III, Sturm, Ruger & Co. 10/22

IWI Tavor SAR, IWI Tavor X95, Spike's Tactical ST 15 M4 LE Carbine, Rifle Gear AR-15 x 4, KE Arms AR-15, Colt Expanse M4.

Mossberg JM Pro 12 gauge
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 6:34 AM
ASD1's Avatar
ASD1 ASD1 is online now
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Burlingame
Posts: 1,498
iTrader: 111 / 100%

If you have a gun that needs to be sent in for warranty work you can send it to manufacture if the manufacturer deems it's not repairable it needs to replace that they fill out a form and file it with the state in the Fed stating that they swapped out serial number 12340 number 456 and ship it back to you since you legally possessed and off roster handgun prior to shipping it and there are no issues as you're not buying a new weapon they are simply swapping one out under warranty P
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM
kemasa's Avatar
kemasa kemasa is offline
Calguns Addict
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 9,245
iTrader: 6 / 100%

If the firearm is replaced, it needs to be DROS'd. It is not the same firearm and the new firearm can not just be sent to the person who sent it in unless the manufacturer duplicates the serial number on the new firearm.

The DROS is done as a return to owner. Obviously, documentation is required that the firearm was replaced.
FFL Transfer/Special Order Dealer since 1993.
Net-FFL list maintainer.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host., the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.