Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-16-2013, 5:55 PM

Default Can a FFL legally hold a firearm more than 10 24 hour periods?

Just went to go pick up a new to me shotgun from an FFL. I purchased it on the 6th at 9 AM. They told me it was their policy to wait 11 days and not the 24 hour waiting period. How can you change the law by just " saying it's our policy"?

The BS part is I'm going to be out of town for the next two weeks. So I'm not going to have a way to pick it up till close to the end of the one month max.
Old 04-16-2013, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

yes some stores have a 11 day policy I know big 5 is one of them and they can hold it for 30 days from dros date to pick it up if after 30 days you will have to restart dros and 10 day IIRC
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 04-16-2013, 6:03 PM

I know Target Masters West does the same thing and you have to sign off that you agree to it. The way I see it, you know about it in advanced and by signing you agree to the terms of the purchase. You also have a choice to go somewhere else. This is just my experience. I don't know if its the same as yours or even legality of it. In general Target Masters West is pretty conservative with their sales policy which probably helps them keep their license when and if they get audited by the DOJ.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe'Bronco View Post
Just went to go pick up a new to me shotgun from an FFL. I purchased it on the 6th at 9 AM. They told me it was their policy to wait 11 days and not the 24 hour waiting period. How can you change the law by just " saying it's our policy"?

The BS part is I'm going to be out of town for the next two weeks. So I'm not going to have a way to pick it up till close to the end of the one month max.
the law says they can't release it sooner than 240 hours after DROS is started. it doesn't say that they must release it the instant the 240 hours concludes.

they aren't "changing the law".

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:11 PM

The paperwork I signed clearly stated the gun will be available after 10 24-hour periods.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:18 PM
Aka Mike Oxsmall
CGN Contributor

If it clearly stated that, then u have a reason to gripe. I know bass pro shop has a 11 day wait.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:28 PM

It Would have been different if they were closer. But I just had to drive an hour and a half to be turned around for some BS reason.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Norse Armory guy made me wait 16 days one time. Said he kept forgetting to pick it up at some other location.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 04-16-2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacaville View Post
Norse Armory guy made me wait 16 days one time. Said he kept forgetting to pick it up at some other location.
aka, i was shooting your gun and I forgot to bring it from my house back to the shop. lol

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 04-16-2013, 6:54 PM

Well, they just lost a LIFETIME customer. I used to shop there on a weekly basis (now i just stock up every time im there) I spent over $200 a month there on shooting supplies and even more durning hunting season.

Well, Dicks Sporting goods will be opening up soon in Dublin... Looks like i have a new Ammo "home base" to spend my cash.
Old 04-16-2013, 7:38 PM

It should be on the invoice if they use 11 days. One of the shops I use/work at is only open three days aweek,so your pickup date fell on the tenth day,or the next day we were open if the tenth day was a closed day. One of the other gun shops in the area always puts the pick-up time to the exact minute. If it says 10:32,you would not get it till then or after.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM

I talked to the manager at Big 5 about this when I bought my shotgun. He told me that they don't submit the DROS until the following morning. eg. You buy your rifle on Monday at 1:00pm, fill out the 4473, pay, and then Tuesday morning before the store opens, they will enter the DROS information and start your waiting period. Why? I don't know. I just paid my dues and came back 11 days later.
Old 04-18-2013, 4:12 PM

I have never bought something without having the exact date and time I will be allowed to pick it up on the receipt, down to the minute.
Old 04-18-2013, 5:22 PM
Banned

Unfortunately some FFL's do this to cover their *** in the event DOJ were to audit them. The only gripe I have is some gun shops won't let you pick up if you come in a hour or less before closing. If they close at 6 and I get off at 5 I have to either wait until the weekend or take time off of work to pick up in time.
Old 04-18-2013, 5:24 PM

The day you DROS does not count, for some stores, making it 11 days.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosef350 View Post
I talked to the manager at Big 5 about this when I bought my shotgun. He told me that they don't submit the DROS until the following morning. eg. You buy your rifle on Monday at 1:00pm, fill out the 4473, pay, and then Tuesday morning before the store opens, they will enter the DROS information and start your waiting period. Why? I don't know. I just paid my dues and came back 11 days later.
Normally, a FFL submits it electronically, then print out the DROS and have the customer sign it. Do you know if they are having the person fill out a DROS worksheet?

It might just be a lie to delay people coming back. You can request a copy of the DROS, which will have the date and time it was submitted and that will tell you the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
The day you DROS does not count, for some stores, making it 11 days.
The waiting period is 240 hours, which does not really make it 11 days, but the day that you start is not a full day, so it until the same time the next day it is one day, but two calendar days.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelcardenas77 View Post
I know bass pro shop has a 11 day wait.
I DROSed a gun there and it was a 10 day wait. Picked it up at 241 hours.
Old 04-19-2013, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The paperwork I signed clearly stated the gun will be available after 10 24-hour periods.
What paperwork? It is available after the waiting period is over, but does it say exactly when?

If the FFL is not open on the day that the waiting period is over, do you expect them to come in and open for you?

Hopefully you learned a lesson to ask what their policy is. Not all FFLs are like that, but there is no law which says that they have to finish the paperwork the second the waiting period is over.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-29-2013, 5:37 PM

It's unfortunate but many people don't pay attention to the 240 hours part but rather the "10 days". They come in first thing on the 10th day expecting to walk out with their gun and getting ticked off at the store (I drove 2 hours to get here.....blah blah blah). Padding by a calendar day is probably a good protection for the masses. Unfortunately it impacts those of us that are intelligent enough to know basic math.

Last edited by heyjerr; 05-04-2013 at 2:35 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As much as I don't like it I COMPLETELY understand why FFLs impose the 11 day rule. Otherwise it is too easy to inadvertently release a gun a few hours too early and get nailed.

As far as legalities, sure why not?

Laws are minimal baseline standards.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 05-03-2013, 7:35 PM

I have to wait 11 days to pick up my AOW from EBRWorks because they are closed on Monday. It's called "suck it up and be a big boy about it."

We're talking about guns here, not mom & dad taking you to Disney Land!
Old 05-03-2013, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, Dicks Sporting goods will be opening up soon in Dublin... Looks like i have a new Ammo "home base" to spend my cash.
Dick's has decided to no longer carry dangerous black and other semi automatic guns. That's why they are tanking - not because of the flack from their sponsoring of Lance Armstrong.
Old 05-03-2013, 8:59 PM

OP,

Make sure you notify corporate or whomever is in charge there (in writing) why you're going to be taking your business elsewhere. If you don't do that, it never happened in their eyes.
Old 05-03-2013, 9:24 PM

I wouldn't do business with a FFL that holds a gun over the 240 hour period. If you agree to it then you are out of luck and just have to wait. Adding an extra day to the 10 day is like adding proof of residency to long guns when your ID is correct. Following the rules set by the CA DOJ is simple in those instances, cut and dry.