Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Default Shooting unsuppressed while using NVGs

So being in California and all... we can't own suppressors. I was wondering if anyone has shot an unsuppressed rifle while using night vision goggles. I have an AR-15 (DD M4V5) with a Surefire FH556-212A flash hider. If one were to use a PVS-14 while shooting the AR, would the muzzle flash be too much (aka white out)?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. (I also attempted to search this topic but was unable to find anything.)

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry your body." - Jack Bauer

Colt / Glock / Kimber / Kriss / LWRC / Remington / Ruger / Smith & Wesson / Springfield
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM

I've done it quite often, but not as a civilian. The white out is noticable but not effecting the vision. Not sure I am going to describe this right, but for me and others I worked with, because the flash is instant and not long lasting it did not effect the vision long term but made an instant 'white out'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnguyen9 View Post
So being in California and all... we can't own suppressors. I was wondering if anyone has shot an unsuppressed rifle while using night vision goggles. I have an AR-15 (DD M4V5) with a Surefire FH556-212A flash hider. If one were to use a PVS-14 while shooting the AR, would the muzzle flash be too much (aka white out)?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. (I also attempted to search this topic but was unable to find anything.)
Old 03-22-2013, 5:32 PM

Awesome! I was worried that the "white out" was overwhelming to the point that it would make the NVGs not useful anymore.

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry your body." - Jack Bauer

Colt / Glock / Kimber / Kriss / LWRC / Remington / Ruger / Smith & Wesson / Springfield
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM

A muzzle break would work better.
Old 03-26-2013, 7:05 PM

Talking Just some thoughts...

ddnguyen9: FYI, CA has some funny laws when it comes to night vision devices, or, what they refer to as "sniperscopes".

Check this out...
CA Penal Code 468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.

This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.
That being said, I wish I had a PVS-14.

Sadly, I never got issued that cool piece of gear when I was a Marine infantry scout. The "cool kids" (Force Recon., MARSOC, ETC...) got those. I got issued an M16A2, an AN/PVS-4 night vision weapon sight (those old, clunky night vision scopes which weighed a ton and were designed to mount on the carry handle), AN/PVS-7 night vision goggle set (the coolest toy in the world), and a PAQ-4 IR laser (the 2nd coolest toy in the world). I had no complaints with any of that gear except that they used too many batteries and I was always scrounging for more batteries. I never had any issues with the standard M16A2 flash suppressor washing out my gov't.-issued optics. The Surefire FH556-212A flash hider you have is a much more effective flash hider, so you probably won't have any issues at all, regardless of what NVG you use. --1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 04-18-2013 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: I wish I had a PVS-14...
Old 03-26-2013, 7:26 PM

Default Muzzle brakes aren't better than the best flash hider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
A muzzle break would work better.
I disagree that a muzzle brake would be better. Think about it like this: What is a muzzle brake designed to do? It's a device attached to the muzzle of a gun and it's meant to redirect propellant gases with the overall aim of reducing both the recoil of the weapon, and barrel rise, so that the shooter can provide more accurate sustained fire. A flash hider is designed to "hide" muzzle flash and to conceal the location of the shooter during rapid fire engagements.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSPgn0e1z8

The best muzzle device I have ever come across, in terms of overall muzzle flash suppression, is the Smith Enterprise G6A2 Vortex. Hands down. It eliminates 99.9% of visible muzzle flash. I use the Vortex G6A2 on my own AR15 rifles and carbines. It does not require a crush washer or peel washer. It's truly an effective flash hider. Something to consider. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 03-26-2013 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Updated link...
Old 03-26-2013, 7:47 PM
Banned

I do believe you can own NV binoculars fyi just not a weapon scope
sunaj
Old 03-29-2013, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnguyen9 View Post

Auto gated nvd no problem

Non auto gated nvd no problem

Last edited by Mesa Defense; 03-29-2013 at 6:38 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
ddnguyen9: FYI, CA has some funny laws when it comes to night vision devices, or, what they refer to as "sniperscopes".

Check this out...
CA Penal Code 468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.

This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.
That being said, I wish I had a PVS-14.

Sadly, I never got issued that cool piece of gear when I was a Marine infantry scout. The "cool kids" (Force Recon., now known as MARSOC) got those. I got issued an M16A2, an AN/PVS-4 night vision weapon sight (those old, clunky night vision scopes which weighed a ton and were designed to mount on the carry handle), AN/PVS-7 night vision goggle set (the coolest toy in the world), and a PAQ-4 IR laser (the 2nd coolest toy in the world). I had no complaints with any of that gear except that they used too many batteries and I was always scrounging for more batteries. I never had any issues with the standard M16A2 flash suppressor washing out my gov't.-issued optics. The Surefire FH556-212A flash hider you have is a much more effective flash hider, so you probably won't have any issues at all, regardless of what NVG you use. --1911ShooterPhil

A 14 is a monocular. It would most likely be employed with a helmet mount and in conjunction with an ir laser on the weapon system. Perfectly legal.
Old 03-29-2013, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
A 14 is a monocular. It would most likely be employed with a helmet mount and in conjunction with an ir laser on the weapon system. Perfectly legal.
Really...?

So, using it alone, no target illuminator or target designator, and it's perfectly fine to own in CA?

I'm adding another item to Christmas wish list. Thanks for the info. --1911ShooterPhil
Old 03-29-2013, 1:46 PM

If your a US citizen. You can purchase over the counter.

Have fun, stay safe
Old 03-29-2013, 2:05 PM

You'll be fine shooting and using NV. I've done it in the ocean a few times and had no trouble.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM

force recon is NOT marsoc.... lol and pvs14s are neat but MOST of SOF community have new Panoramic nvgs
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM

not to mention at night the sights are not used peq15 IR beams are used to aim some units still use peq2s and some units have to use weapon mounted pvs style nvgs and use sights couple other thermal sights as well
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouspatriot View Post
force recon is NOT marsoc.... lol and pvs14s are neat but MOST of SOF community have new Panoramic nvgs
Old 04-15-2013, 5:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Vortex

Dimitri
Old 04-18-2013, 8:59 AM

The reason I said muzzle break is that they mostly vent to the sides, and not into the FOV.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouspatriot View Post
force recon is NOT marsoc.... lol
MARSOC, MSOAG, MSOB, MSOC, MSOT, MSOSG...etc...

I've been out of the Corps for nearly a decade and have lost track of all the new unit designators and which command they fall under.

Regardless...all those special units get issued better gear and cooler toys than what we LAR grunts get issued. I reminisce, and in thinking back, simply wish we had cooler toys back in '03 for the push into Iraq.

--1911ShooterPhil
Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM

My M-47 Dragon night tracker weighed 14 lbs plus 2 bottles of coolant. Then you had the day (regular) tracker and M16a2 plus gear. Just saying....
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 PM

So we're does one obtain a PEQ-15
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
So we're does one obtain a PEQ-15
Hang around pendleton, look for soldiers who frequent check cashing / advance stores.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:37 PM

Guess that would be a good place to start
Old 05-02-2013, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Hang around pendleton, look for soldiers who frequent check cashing / advance stores.
dont ever call us Marines soldiers, ever
Old 05-02-2013, 4:18 PM

I'm beginning to wonder why I joined this site. For the OP: You'll be fine.
Old 05-14-2013, 8:05 PM

Default NV

Banned cause gang bangers are known for doing drive bys at night with scopes. Gimme a break.