Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-30-2013, 7:32 PM

Default AR-15 scope setup

I have a ar I bought from a friend it was set up for hunting but has no scope I have been looking at the nikon m223 with bdc has anybody used this scope it sells for 450 or is there one better for the money I was also thinking of bushnell elite 5-15x50 I have on on my 30-06 and like it not sure which way to go.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:11 PM

Call me cheap,but I use a few of the Nikon Buckmasters with BDC reticles.They are usually half what you quoted for the M223.I have one AR with one,a few big rifles and a few rimfires.
I picked up a close out Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x50 the other day for $139Ready for this?Basspro Shop.No BDC,but it is going to work fine on one of mine,I hunt with.
If you do not even have the mount.Consider the Leupold AR package deals(Leupold AR mount included) from say Cabelas.They are offering $5 shipping,I think still.They are basically VX 1 glass,but so far my experience has been good.I use the 1-4 on my 6.8SPC for hunting as well as a home protection gun.For the hunting I do it is plenty.I like the 3-9s as well.
Personally for $450 if you like Nikon,look at the Monarch line.
I wouldn't complain with the Bushnell you mentioned either.
Leupolds and Zeiss are a little more.Burris and Weaver has some great stuff also.
Feel free to PM me if you want to call.I did my own tests with 28 different scopes this last winter.I was shocked on how some of them did.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:33 PM
Banned

The 5-15X is too high powered on the low end. It makes it very slow in picking up moving animals and restricts the field of view too much. I prefer no higher than 4X and preferably 3X or lower on the low end for hunting.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
The 5-15X is too high powered on the low end. It makes it very slow in picking up moving animals and restricts the field of view too much. I prefer no higher than 4X and preferably 3X or lower on the low end for hunting.
Agreed,

Go with a 3.5-10x at the very most if you want to plink out to 4-500 yards or something like a 1-4x or 2-6x if you will always be shooting under 300-350 yards.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhemingway@sbcglobal.net View Post
I have a ar I bought from a friend it was set up for hunting but has no scope I have been looking at the nikon m223 with bdc has anybody used this scope it sells for 450 or is there one better for the money I was also thinking of bushnell elite 5-15x50 I have on on my 30-06 and like it not sure which way to go.
There are several differant models of Nikon that rock. The M and P series are a very very good value and tend to be more middle - high middle of the price features catagory. There is also the Buckmaster lineup with several differant reticles. The Buckmaster at least in my opinion tend to be in the MIddle of the road standard optics with differing reticles like mill dots and stuff. Seems the M and P line are more tactical with the BUckmasters being more straight forward benching optics.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_..._p/pa6xrbd.htm

Check put the video on this.
If your serious about accuracy and actual effectiveness you ll find out the BDC ranging and wind are dead on on this out to 800.

Dimitri
Old 05-02-2013, 8:16 AM

Thanks guys for the input the the primary arms scope was impressive
Old 05-02-2013, 3:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhemingway@sbcglobal.net View Post
Thanks guys for the input the the primary arms scope was impressive
There was years of research and development that went into it before it was even made.
The ACSS reticule is the next evolution created to solve field problems in self defense situations, ranging,BDC, wind and leads. In the video I am holding at 700 yards half way to the 5 mph dot. There was a full value wind 2-4 mph. With out ranging you ll never know where to hold for BDC,with out wind dots you ll never know where to hold for wind. If the target is moving leading can be very hard. In live medium/long range situations targets move and are there only for a limited time. You need to range them and engage them before they are gone or doing the same to you.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 05-02-2013 at 6:20 PM..