Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Shotgun Question: Thoughts/Opinions?

Was at Turner's today and while browsing the rack I noticed some shotgun on sale.

The choices were:

-Remington 870 Express Tactical
-Benelli Super Nova Tactical

I went ahead and put down a deposit on the Benelli.

After getting home and talking to buddy #1 (a big firearms enthusiasts) and he said Benelli, good choice. Talked to anther buddy and said get the Remington since parts and accessories are easier to find (also in the event of a SHTF event). He strongly urged me to change my mind.

I'm not a fan of the Freedom Group or their politics so I don't want to give them any more money. However my second buddy kept saying I should get the 870 over and over again.

Was thinking of getting a Mossberg 590A1 but I don't recall seeing any.

So is the Super Nova a good choice. Or should I have gotten the Remington instead or wait for a Mossberg?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM

The 870 was a great gun, but not anymore. A while back looking to add a 2nd 870 but walked out with a pair of Mossbergs. It feels & looks cheap, the problems folks are having with them is not worth the name.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Don't buy an 870 Express. If you want an 870 get a used Wingmaster, then you're not giving money to Freedom group and you'll be getting a good shotgun.

The Benelli is great. I use a Nova as my duck gun. The barrels are expensive unless you get a Carlson's, which would allow you to use the gun for more than just sitting in the corner waiting for a robber to break into your house. I prefer the skinny wrist of the 870 however, and the fact that the 870 is a 3 inch chamber instead of a 3.5 inch chamber is a major bonus for this short armed guy.

If the S hits the F do you really think you're going to be scrounging around for parts for your 870? I don't know what kind of S you think is going to hit the F, but the most likely scenario of you fending for yourself and possibly keeping looters at bay following a large natural disaster doesn't really fit in with the 'if it breaks I can find parts for it' idea (unless you have the parts on hand).

Other than that pick the one you like to look at more, since that's most of what people do with their tactical shotguns, along with the occasional course or watermelon exploding BLM trip. I know mine sits in the shotlocker unless I'm practicing getting it unlocked.
Old 04-26-2013, 6:26 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Napalm stated it pretty well.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT - $180

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 04-27-2013, 5:57 AM

I stick with the Nova. Its a well built shotgun by a great company.
Old 04-27-2013, 6:51 AM

And it begins
Old 04-27-2013, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Remington 870. It's much more versatile, and almost infinitely customizable. My friend has a Super Nova Tactical and wants to sell it.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

I just attended a course where a few people had 870's that were modified by Vang Comp. They were light and accurate. I am considering getting one when I don't want the weight of the M4.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Remington 870. It's much more versatile, and almost infinitely customizable.
... Mossberg 500 would come a close second...

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 04-27-2013, 1:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

There are plenty of Nova part's out there, they just tend to be made by higher end / specialty producers.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 04-27-2013, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

With the potential for a Presidential restriction on Imported guns I would go with the remington. I would stay away from the express though as I have seen them jam up under hard use. Stay with the wingmaster. Benelli makes a great gun but I would be somewhat cautious due to import potential restrictions.
Old 04-27-2013, 3:13 PM

Being there is only one 870 and every single part in the Wingmaster is the exact same part as in the Express except one, I am amazed at the mis-information being given on these forums. Any question like this brings out opinions and little in the way of facts as few people, including me know both models inside and out. I do however know the 870 and doubt there is a better pump being made today, different yes, but better, NO.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:18 PM
Banned

Another thing to consider:

If you had bought the 870, you could join in on the hundreds of threads that discuss "my 870 won't extract" or "my 870 jammed" or "I had to bang my 870 on the ground to get it to open". Also, you can get a quick primer on gunsmithing, learning how to disassemble your brand new shotgun and work on it so it won't jam, even though it should have come from the factory that way. Oh, I know, the ammo is to blame. It's just that all other shotguns are built to fire any ammo that's given to them. You want a shotgun that only performs with the best - kinda like a car that will only run on Premium.

Last but not least: if you had bought an 870 and performed all the necessary modifications to make it do what it should have done in the first place, you can always lay awake those sleepless nights and ponder whether or not it will eff up again when you're trying to defend yourself or someone you love.

Or, you can take the shotgun you bought and just go shoot it.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:50 PM

My 1st shotgun was a 870 wingmaster ,Sold it and regetted it, Bought a stripped recever ,wingmaster , added express trigger and bolt .wood stk, 18.5 bar, will not sell this ever, bought a Mossberg 500a 20 inch for backup. My friend likes his Nova.The 870 is one of the greatest shotguns ever made.
Old 04-27-2013, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Default Really easy choice

It really depends on the use. The Nova is a great shotgun for skeet, trap and hunting. While the 870 is obviously a defense gun... as for these 870's suck posts...Look at what the Police Cruisers have in their racks and tell me what gun you see there. It sure aint a Mossberg. I do however think there's a good alternative to the Remington though and that is the Hawk 982. This shotgun is pretty much the old 870 imho. It's a very well made and durable home defense weapon.

It still comes down to what you want to use it for.

Defense= Remington 870 or 870 clone... Hawk 982.

Sporting shotgun = Can't beat the Nova for diversity...it will eat any load you feed it along with mixed loads.

Looking for a best of both worlds gun?? Get the Mossberg combo.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com

Last edited by negolien; 04-27-2013 at 7:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
It really depends on the use. The Nova is a great shotgun for skeet, trap and hunting. While the 870 is obviously a defense gun... as for these 870's suck posts...
Totally correct, this is obviously a duck gun:

And this is obviously the übertactinator 870
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Umm he was talking about a Remington 870 Express Tactical. The Nova is also very well received by Sportsman for its ability to run differing loads without jams or issues in the semi-auto version which I was thinking of.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 04-28-2013, 3:32 PM

Lets break it down...

Older 870 > Newer 870
Newer 870 < Newer Nova
New Nova = Older 870

If you want a new gun, the Nova is a GREAT gun to shoot and out of your two choices is the best. If you find an older wingmaster, it is IMO just as reliable as the Nova.

I personally have a rem-870, Nova, Browning 2000, Mossberg 500 & a Stoeger p350... The Nova has never jamed on me... Ever. The 870 is a bit older so i dont shoot it as often but is a very reliable pheasant gun. Every once and a whyle it sticks. The Moss is purley a home defence gun. The Stoeger is my duck gun (it shoots 3.5's) and the Browning is my all around gun.