Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-18-2013, 6:22 PM

Default Reloading help

I am looking for someone in the south bay that knows the Lee 1000 progressive press. I have 2 presses I bought but I have no idea how to use them or even set them up. So what I am looking for is someone that can set them up and get them both running tip top. I am will to send some $$$$$ your way for the set up and to get them running. I would also like a quick run through when everything is running. I am near Torrance, so shoot me a PM and then we can set something up.

Thank you,
Matt
Old 04-18-2013, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

My recommendation is to get hold of the manual for the press and go though it line by line and take the time to set it up yourself.

If you plan to reload you should have an intimate relationship with your press and setup.

If you are stuck on a step or need assistance with trouble shooting then post up another thread.

Don't take the lazy route and have someone do it for you.

YouTube is also an excellent resource if you are a visual learner.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 04-18-2013 at 6:43 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 6:44 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=745306
Old 04-18-2013, 6:46 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
My recommendation is to get hold of the manual for the press and go though it line by line and take the time to set it up yourself.

If you plan to reload you should have an intimate relationship with your press and setup.

If you are stuck on a step or need assistance with trouble shooting then post up another thread.

Don't take the lazy route and have someone do it for you.

YouTube is also an excellent resource if you are a visual learner.
But, in my case, the Lee book was full of great information, but step by step was horrid. I primered 500 rounds before resizing.. lolz. ( After I got the Lee primer tool and before my turret showed up ).

Old 04-18-2013, 6:47 PM

whau Extreme said...you really shud spend some time with a single stage.... crawl before you walk... walk before you run...
Old 04-18-2013, 6:57 PM

Have a look on youtube for videos.

Also there are many web pages that show setup (e.g. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-ca...al-sticky.html)
Old 04-18-2013, 7:21 PM

Take your time with each step, I recently switched to a Dillon 550 thanks to my wife! I had 2 Lee progressives at one time. I feel the weakest link in the Lee is the primer feed. Now I got mine over 15 years ago. 38/357, 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W, 380 and tried 223. I had a detonation of several primers one time. I missed feeling that bad prime and kaboom. After evaluating my presses, I decided to use the progressive presses to size/ deprive and bell only. I used my Lee auto prime from then on and my turret press to seat and factory crimp. Extra steps but no mishaps happily ever after. Since I removed the crimper from my presses, I could have set up another turret for seating and crimping on the progressives but being able to save some time was good enough for me.
[IMG][/IMG]

One nation under God

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!
Old 04-18-2013, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
But, in my case, the Lee book was full of great information, but step by step was horrid. I primered 500 rounds before resizing.. lolz. ( After I got the Lee primer tool and before my turret showed up ).

I have never owned a Lee press so I really don't know what their manuals are like... but if its anything like what they include with their die sets I feel for you. The manuals for both my RCBS presses were actually pretty good, followed line by line I got my progressive up and running in an evening with no major headaches.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:45 PM

Good luck....Hope you find someone to teach you......I would help if I lived closer....
Old 04-18-2013, 7:52 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

I posted this link above - but think about this - CGSSA reloading club...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=745306

First meeting is Sunday (yes THIS Sunday) in the city of Tustin.

''CGSSA Reloading Club. 1st orginizational meeting. Note Venu change
------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, Here it is. This Sunday Morning meet and greet 8:30 AM at Mimi's in Tustin. Near 55 fwy at 17th. Yes it was to be at Benjie's However they just called and cannot accommodate us. Not for political reasons. so now it in Mimi's.

http://www.mimiscafe.com/Restaurant.aspx?Id=5

This time and date may be inconvenient to some, we all understand. This meeting is to set up the beginning of the club and area volunteers. We are trying to get this going state wide. We need leaders, Note takers, treasurers and such.

Note if there are any tech savvy types that can make it. We would like to see if satellite meetings could be held via Skype or ??

So if you are too far to make it and would be interested in attending via Skype Please ring in.

Please PM me if you think you can make it. I will update with those planning to come.

"
Old 04-18-2013, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

My recommendation would be to go to the members list, lookup member "Cowboy T" (page 149 of the C's). PM him and tell him what you have and want to do.

Cowboy T is an expert on the Pro 1000 and all Lee gear. He has some videos on setup as well as safe loading, excellent stuff. He can get you up and running.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:11 PM
Banned

CowboyT is an outstanding resource, he helped me with mine when I first got it - I now have a second one, as well as a single stage.

I live in Long Beach - so if you want to PM me maybe I can help you out.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:17 PM

I am new to reloading as well and also purchased a Lee press. I started with the single stage press and plan to purchase a Lee Turret Press at a later date. The concept is the same but you are doing one step X number of times (based on the amount of bullets you are reloading) then changing the die and doing the next step, etc.

Watching several videos on YouTube and as stated above Cowboy T or San Francisco Liberal with a Gun as he calls himself does a great job of walking you through the die setup process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZbTZCsIGQ

Here is another good video that walks you through the entire process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJ7Y...g2VkBQ&index=4

I have already reloaded 100 .45acp rounds and shot them last week and plan to reload more tomorrow along with .38 special.

As others have said, take your time, read the manual, watch the videos. If you take shortcuts then when you run into problems you wont know how to solve them.

You will need a reloading manual in order to have recipes for amount of powder, bullet overall length, etc. I have the latest editions of the Lyman and Hornady.

Good luck!

Last edited by mmesa005; 04-18-2013 at 8:27 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 PM

I'm not in the area but I followed the loadmastervideos.com I had a lot of luck with that. Still novice at loading on the progressive but once everything was running I was pumping out 300-400 rounds an hour. Plus they all shot. The one thing I would recommend is grinding down the small case slider to a 45 degree angle so it doesn't hit on the top of the press. They cover that in the videos. Good luck