Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-17-2013, 3:57 PM

Question CA Drivers License w/ out of state address?

Hello everyone,
I'm going to be buying a firearm in a couple of days but I'm a little concerned.

I'm a USN vet, and when I was stationed in Pensacola FL, I had to renew my driver's license. I went on leave around that time and took care of it at home (in Ca.) But when they sent it to me in FL, it had my FL address on it.

Am I going to have an issue trying to buy a firearm with a CA Driver's License with a FL address on it? Do I need to bring anything with me that proves that I live where I do?

Thanks

I apologize if this is in the wrong category, I couldn't figure out where to post this.
Old 04-17-2013, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Kinda cool...never heard of such a thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 4:01 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Am I going to have an issue
Yes, so get a new license or listen to the people who are going to tell you alternatives, soon, hopefully.
Old 04-17-2013, 4:13 PM

Shoot I don't think I have enough time to get a new one by Friday, but would the temporary one they give out work?
Old 04-17-2013, 9:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

WOW! Never heard of such a thing. However on the 4473 there are guidelines from ATF on how to prove residency. As an FFL I would probably trip out about seeing someone try to use a CA ID with FL address. I would almost say that it was a DOJ or ATF sting and I was being set up. Not saying thats your case.

As a dealer its to hard to call DOJ to get any help these days. I would say that the best thing to do would be to go to DMV change your address and wait for the ID to come in. Strange situation though. Let us all know what happens. GL
Old 04-18-2013, 4:43 AM
Veteran Member

I'd treat it as any other DL without a current physical address on it and ask for another government-issued document that shows your name and current physical address. If you answer question 13 (State of Residence) with anything other than CA, that would be a deal killer also.

Last edited by halifax; 04-18-2013 at 4:46 AM..
Old 04-18-2013, 8:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Real simple. If you are a CA resident, put your current address on the 4473. Then use the normal guidelines of proof of residence. So you will need a government issued document showing your name and address from the 4473. If also a handgun, a utility bill or government issued document with expiration date.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 04-18-2013, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

It is the same as if the ID/DL had a post office box on it or if the person moved and it does not have the current residence address. You need a government document with your current residence address on it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein