Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-05-2013, 5:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
Default Retaining emails before dumping my ISP,

I have been with DSL extreme 4 evah, IDK at least since 06í they are a great ISP, itís just that with some package offers, I think itís time to dump them. The problem is that I will lose all my emails and I reference them from time to time. How do I retain those without paying the $5/mo to keep the email account open?
Old 04-05-2013, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Download and install an email software on your local computer, for Windows you can download Windows Live Mail from Microsoft:

Configure it to connect to your current email provide by your ISP. Look for instructions on how to connect via POP3 or IMAP, those are the most commonly provided connection method.

Once you're connected you can download the email to your and pretty much keep them forever.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Thunderbird plus imap will do it.

Outlook, if you have it, will do it as well and let you save the emails into a PST archive (which, despite its problems, is still the preeminent email storage format out there).
-- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
Old 04-06-2013, 7:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Also, you should open a web-based email account (gmail, Yahoo) so that your email is not ISP dependent.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:17 PM

It depends on how you're currently receiving your email. If you access your email through a webpage, all your email is stored on their server. To download everything, you just need to configure an email app on your PC to download your mail. You will need the following information:
1) your email address
2) your password
3) your ISP's incoming mail server
4) your ISP's outgoing mail server

You will also need an email app. Windows comes with Microsoft Outlook express. Mac OSX comes with an app they call "Mail". As long as you have the required info listed above, you can find thousands of guides online on how to configure your email app. Your ISP probably already has a guide on their website on how to do this. Alternatively, you can call their support line and they will usually walk you through the whole process.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:19 PM

I forgot to mention that if you're already using an app for your email (not a webpage), then you probably already have all your mail downloaded to your PC. If you ever change ISP's, then you will continue to have all that mail, but not have access to send/receive new mail. If that is the case, you just need to update the required information in your app with your new email info, and can continue to use the same app with all your old emails available to you.