Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-29-2013, 3:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)
Default Want to have a 'remote' TV, run wires or ?

So, remodeling a bathroom. Wife wants a TV she can see while soaking in the tub. Walls are all bare now, so I could pretty easily run a wire back to the master bedroom and put a splitter of some sort near the TV there. She'd be stuck on whatever channel she chose before climbing into tub, of course. If I go this route, what type of cable should I run?

Or, do any of those HDMI/TV transmitter/receiver units work for a damn?

In case it matters, we are DirecTv - no cable where we live.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 03-29-2013, 1:01 PM
Moped Army
CGN Contributor

What about a tablet (ipad or kindle fire) that can be used to stream shows off the web? Some of the newer DVRs even allow you to stream your recorded shows to a mobile device.

Or if yours doesn't have that feature and she wants to watch live tv while soaking you could get a tablet and a slingbox, and she could change channels/watch recorded shows/whatever else she wants.

It would end up being more expensive than just running a cable and installing a TV, but I think the added benefits could be worth it.
1. You can control what you watch after you get in the tub
2. Your "tv" isn't stuck to a wall now and it can be taken wherever you want it to go
3. You get a tablet, which can be a very handy item to own
Old 03-30-2013, 5:18 AM

You should be able to run Cat 5 cable about 150' or so and use hdmi or other video extenders, transmitter and receiver pair. Make sure what you get supports audio and video. Kramer is one of the companies that makes this stuff.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:01 PM
In Memoriam

if you go with a tablet or even a laptop, consider something like SLINGBOX. attaches to your DVR and then through the internet you can view AND control a dvr with their software...
Old 03-30-2013, 7:57 PM

Moisture from the shower/bath will shorten the life of any TV, something to think about because one it goes bad you'll probably want to replace it cause your used to it.

IR repeater systems are cheap. Changing channels shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Run the wires to the TV, you can use a IR-to-RF extender so that you wife can change channel even without line-of-sight to the set top box.
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio.../dp/B000C1Z0HA
Old 04-01-2013, 7:18 AM

Moisture will be your biggest problem. if you still want to do it though, run conduit so you can fish new cables through in the future.

keep power in a different receptacle than your data lines, even 110v/20a can mess up cat 5e and some cat 6 ethernet.

I would run HDMI and ethernet to your home router area assuming you have some device to feed the TV with such as a PS3, XBOX, XBMC.
Another option for making a cheap bathroom TV "Smart" is slapping an AppleTV or Roku to the back. then you have Netflix and some basic home served movie/video capabilities.
Old 04-01-2013, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

The conduit is a good idea.. Makes life easier later on.. use the biggest you can fit.. 3/4"? maybe 1" depends whats on that wall..
Run both Coax RG-6 and cat 5/6
This will give you flexability later on.. say if you add a CCTV system at your house or want to run two video sources to your tv. The moisture problem is cured by resessing the TV into the wall and covering it with some plexi with a moisture proof seal.. Granted it won't be 100% but should suffice. .

Going to have to move some electrical in that wall too..
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

All interesting ideas. I'm liking the idea of tablet w/ slingbox. I've been wanting those anyways and it provides more support for their need .
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

run 3-4 cat6e cables that will be WAY more then enough for anything. (I wire houses for a living cat6 is all you need forget coax and all the other wires. If you have a new DTV box that has network port plug it into your wireless network and download a free remote control app for your smart phone and you can change channels.

can use an HDMI balun (I would stay away from these type unless you need to watch 1080p you dont need HDMI but it is an option)
can solder RCA ends straight to the wire and plug into component output (picture will be just as good as HDMI)
or you can use these baluns if you dont want to solder.
and you will need this too.

PM me if you want I can get you all this stuff for wholesale price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!