Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-21-2013, 7:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Default Couple odd emails from DHS and DOJ

I received a couple of odd emails from DOJ accounts over the past couple days. The first one seems like a scam as the email domain is ice.dhs.gov.com, and is asking me to provide a fax number for a subpoena. However, the second email is from usdoj.gov, which is valid, and is asking me to call his number. neither email is giving any details to the nature of the contact. I do not have an FFL and do not sell anything that would require an FFL, so this is a little puzzling to me. Have any of you ever been contacted like this before?

www.rogtac.com

*Calguns 5% discount code: CG5

Last edited by rogtac; 03-21-2013 at 7:26 AM..
Old 03-21-2013, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Not yet.

Strange

Old 03-21-2013, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Where the email claims to come from can be far different than where it really came from. There is a web site called spamcop.net:

http://www.spamcop.net/

which can be used to determine where it really came from. You can also look at the actual headers, which are not typically shown, to see where it came from, but unless you are used to looking at the headers, you might not be able to figure it out.

The first question you need to ask yourself is where/how would the real people get your email address, rather than your physical address and phone number.

I also use different email addresses for each company/site which then tells me where it really came from, which can be quite telling. If you have your own domain, this is easy to do, otherwise you can use the comment field for email addresses (USERNAME+COMMENT@DOMAIN, where "+" is the actual character and the comment can be what you want). Please note that some web pages refuse to accept the "+" even though it is in the standards.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-21-2013, 9:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Where the email claims to come from can be far different than where it really came from. There is a web site called spamcop.net:

http://www.spamcop.net/

which can be used to determine where it really came from. You can also look at the actual headers, which are not typically shown, to see where it came from, but unless you are used to looking at the headers, you might not be able to figure it out.

The first question you need to ask yourself is where/how would the real people get your email address, rather than your physical address and phone number.

I also use different email addresses for each company/site which then tells me where it really came from, which can be quite telling. If you have your own domain, this is easy to do, otherwise you can use the comment field for email addresses (USERNAME+COMMENT@DOMAIN, where "+" is the actual character and the comment can be what you want). Please note that some web pages refuse to accept the "+" even though it is in the standards.

The first email was through the contact form of my website. The second was a direct email to my general email that is posted on the website, manufacturers dealer pages, and various forums. I will look into your suggestions and see what comes up. Thank you!

www.rogtac.com

*Calguns 5% discount code: CG5