Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Re-size this .45 Colt or just reload??-UPDATE

Have been reloading 45 colt for a pair of vaqeuros and a marlin 1894. Pet load is 6 gr of Trail boss in all three. This last session I noticed a ton of powder stains on the cases from all three.

I took a caliper to the fired brass, and it is all between .476 and .480 diameter. Then I put one case through the re-sizing die on my Lee, and it reduced the diameter to .468. That's a whopping 12 thou under the SAAMI spec of .480.

I was thinking that the larger fire-formed diameter would provide a better seal at ignition and thus reduce this powder staining if I didn't re-size it down, and just left it closer to the SAAMI max as it was fire-formed. Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Update at post #13

Last edited by sofbak; 04-25-2013 at 6:44 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 AM

I don't know, and I am only posting to fallow the thread and see what other people are going to say BUT...

just thinking it through

I think it would work on the revolvers like fire formed brass does to a rifle.

It may cause feeding issues in the marlin

you would probably need to at least neck size to get neck tension to hold the projectile in place
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM

If i have straight walled brass that will not find its way into a different gun I will only size as far down as the bullet will go . This is for shooting in my single shots or revolvers .It does help with accuracy for me
45 colt is a long time favorite for me , the cartridge is so old that manufacture specs have wandered all over the place .
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

I would think as long as you neck size them you will be ok. But will the ammo function in all 3 weapons. Remeber most weapons have some lee way in the chamber size. If a fired case from one will fit the others than i would neck size only.
Old 03-21-2013, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
Have been reloading 45 colt for a pair of vaqeuros and a marlin 1894. Pet load is 6 gr of Trail boss in all three. This last session I noticed a ton of powder stains on the cases from all three.

I took a caliper to the fired brass, and it is all between .476 and .480 diameter. Then I put one case through the re-sizing die on my Lee, and it reduced the diameter to .468. That's a whopping 12 thou under the SAAMI spec of .480.

I was thinking that the larger fire-formed diameter would provide a better seal at ignition and thus reduce this powder staining if I didn't re-size it down, and just left it closer to the SAAMI max as it was fire-formed. Is this a reasonable thing to do?
As long as they chamber there shouldn't be a problem with partial sizing. It may help with the life of your brass. Using the Lee dies, the sizing ring is pretty close to the mouth, so you likely won't be able to decap in the same partial sizing step. Maybe take the decap rod out and decap manually using a hammer, the decap rod and a few washers epoxied together as a base. Being an experimenter at heart, I probably could resist trying it, if it were me.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
As long as they chamber there shouldn't be a problem with partial sizing. It may help with the life of your brass. Using the Lee dies, the sizing ring is pretty close to the mouth, so you likely won't be able to decap in the same partial sizing step. Maybe take the decap rod out and decap manually using a hammer, the decap rod and a few washers epoxied together as a base. Being an experimenter at heart, I probably could resist trying it, if it were me.

Good luck.
I use a universal de-capper prior to tumbling so that is no issue.

I checked them all with a couple of "dummy" rounds-fireformed case with a projectile seated to the coal. It fits all three with no binding, and the marlin cycles them as usual.

From the responses, it seems that my only "issue" to look for here is to ensure enough neck tension for the bullet. Hence a short stroke on the re-sizing die if needed.

thanks to all
Old 03-22-2013, 7:21 AM

Resize & crimp especially for that 1894 with the tube magazine.
Old 03-22-2013, 8:56 PM

Some times powder has to be "held back" to work properly, magnum pistol powders need a crimp . I bet if you crimp your problem will go away. Also if your bullets move under recoil they can tie up your revolver. worse yet in a tube magazine you can push the bullet into your case & change your loading density! I know your not loading with a magnum powder but, I bet this is your problem.
Old 03-22-2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark501w View Post
Some times powder has to be "held back" to work properly, magnum pistol powders need a crimp . I bet if you crimp your problem will go away. Also if your bullets move under recoil they can tie up your revolver. worse yet in a tube magazine you can push the bullet into your case & change your loading density! I know your not loading with a magnum powder but, I bet this is your problem.
I do crimp-don't spread this around but I use the Lee FC die and put a nice .002 crimp right on the edge. And the bullet is held firmly in place. I don't think that's the problem. Given how much the re-size die reduces the diameter, I just don't think the case is expanding enough to form a tight seal with the chamber wall.

It's not going to cost much to try just a "neck size" on a few cases....
Old 03-22-2013, 9:35 PM

I like Lee carbide pistol dies, is .002 a crimp?
Old 03-22-2013, 9:54 PM

I have seen smudging on my center fire rifle & I corrected it by increasing the load.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:50 AM

Might want to try annealing your case mouths. I shoot light loads of .45 colt out of a uberti 1866 ( 5.5 to 6) grains of Trail boss, and was having bad blowback and case scorching. Annealing completely solved the problem.
Old 04-25-2013, 6:48 PM

So I got out with about 200 "non-resized" reloads the other day, and ran them through a vaquero and a marlin 1894. No issues, less sooting, and it seemed that accuracy was improved in both platforms....I know it's a limited test, but my original musings seemed to be validated:

Quote:
So in the future before I start a batch, I'm going to check diameter and if it's still under spec I think I'll skip the resizing stroke on the press.....

When I have a chance, I may try this with .45 acp as well....
Old 04-25-2013, 9:50 PM

I may try this with a few of my 45 Colt rounds.....
Old 04-26-2013, 6:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
So I got out with about 200 "non-resized" reloads the other day, and ran them through a vaquero and a marlin 1894. No issues, less sooting, and it seemed that accuracy was improved in both platforms....I know it's a limited test, but my original musings seemed to be validated:

So in the future before I start a batch, I'm going to check diameter and if it's still under spec I think I'll skip the resizing stroke on the press.....

When I have a chance, I may try this with .45 acp as well....
As long as you still have good case tension on the bullet. With the 45 ACP you need to be careful cuz you could experience bullet setback and a KB.
Old 04-26-2013, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
As long as you still have good case tension on the bullet. With the 45 ACP you need to be careful cuz you could experience bullet setback and a KB.
thanx-got that covered. See posts #6 and #9.