Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Default Hoarding??? Says who...?

So I have a buddy who can't go shooting because he is all but out of ammo at the moment. We got to talking about how much I have on hand. I told him that I bought some every time I got paid and it added up over time. I happened to hit bass pro shops last week at the perfect time and got 400 rounds of 5.56 which is what sent him over the edge.... He said its guys like me that hoard all the ammo that keep others from being able to get it. He was half joking and probably half serious. But it got me thinking..... I am pretty well stocked, but it's not like I'm tripping over the stuff. And, I DO shoot at least twice a month. So... Can you have TOO much ammo? If you've got a LOT on hand, would you pass up a good deal on more if you just happened to find it so that someone else who needed it more than you might get it?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_LoNgShOt View Post
So I have a buddy who can't go shooting because he is all but out of ammo at the moment. We got to talking about how much I have on hand. I told him that I bought some every time I got paid and it added up over time. I happened to hit bass pro shops last week at the perfect time and got 400 rounds of 5.56 which is what sent him over the edge.... He said its guys like me that hoard all the ammo that keep others from being able to get it. He was half joking and probably half serious. But it got me thinking..... I am pretty well stocked, but it's not like I'm tripping over the stuff. And, I DO shoot at least twice a month. So... Can you have TOO much ammo? If you've got a LOT on hand, would you pass up a good deal on more if you just happened to find it so that someone else who needed it more than you might get it?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And a deal is what you make of it.

Was the ammo you bought worth more to you than the money you spent? Really think about that for a moment. Think of all the other things you could have bought with that money. Was not doing or having those things worth the sacrifice?

If you said "yes" then I think you made a good buy. You weren't "hoarding" in the sense of buying it because it was there. You were buying it because you felt like you would be glad later you had bought it, and didn't have "enough" already - and it was worth the sacrifice of whatever else you could have done with that money.

That said, if you're buying just because "everybody wants it NOW" and you are caught up in the frenzy... then think about another shooter (maybe a young guy or gal who wasn't into firearms 3 years ago when they were in high school). Look around you and think about the people who really want to practice - not guys who love a big BANG and are just playing at the range - but young people who feel like they need the skill and their time is drawing short... and ask yourself... can I help them?

Now the question... did you buy it because you need it? Or because everybody is in a frenzy and you saw it and just had to have it? Only you can answer that one.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM

I see your point.... No, I didn't spend money I didn't have. The price I paid was more than reasonable, pretty much in line with pre frenzy prices. I've never felt like buying ammo was a bad investment. For me, the picture below pretty much sums it up.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 PM

its always good to stock up, find them cheap and stock them deep!
Old 03-20-2013, 5:29 AM

I've helped out many of my new shooter buddies because of my collection of ammo.... Not hoarding! I will keep collecting.

http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 03-20-2013, 5:54 AM

Its not my fault people didn't stock up. If people had half of a brain, they would of seen the writing on the wall. Maybe next time people will be more prepared.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I consider all AMMO an investment for the long haul.

I've always thought that. I often wonder if 40,000 rounds is enough....

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-20-2013, 7:08 AM

Default writing on the wall?

If anything I think more people saw the writing this time around and that is why the 'panic' started earlier and is lasting longer.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Can you have TOO much ammo?
Ask your friend if he can have too much money...
Old 03-20-2013, 8:07 AM

The only problem I see is where you live, 10000 rounds in the country is fine but in an apartment, it might not be. Your local fire marshall has rules about how much you can have. I am not saying I agree with these rules but please check them to stay out of trouble.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So... Can you have TOO much ammo? If you've got a LOT on hand, would you pass up a good deal on more if you just happened to find it so that someone else who needed it more than you might get it?
To answer your last question first, yes. My needs are small. And may God bless those willing to sell me small qty out of their personal stash just to keep me shooting as well when I, for example, run out of gas checks since I go through them one box every couple years and didn't anticipate a shortage.

More important is your first question.

If you:

hoarded 1,000,000 rounds and cycle through them day after day or week after week, no.

hoarded 10,000 rounds and refuse to shoot them because of the shortage for fear of running out, yes you have too much ammo.

hoarded 500 rounds of ammo and you shoot 10 rounds a year, and are thinking about not hunting this year because of the shortage, yes you have too much.

-----------

It's not about how much you've hoarded, it's whether the hoard is for your insulation, or your personal feeling of wellbeing. If hoarding insulates you from the current spikes, more power to you. I'll see you at the range. If your hoarding only makes you feel good, yes you engaged in erroneous speculation.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM

Any ammo bought a head of time is a huge investment.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Ammo is not an investment to me. It is something I use and shoot for fun or hunting. I usually buy reloading stuff but do buy mil surplus for the C&R guns. I woould also buy comercial ammo when priced right for my use. I bought it when I had extra money. I am still using stuff bought 10+ years ago. I have also loaned ammo and reloading stuff to friends. I have also given ammo and reloading stuff to others to help them out. Now I have to do so less as my supply drops and I do not work anymore.
It is not hoarding when I shoot often. Especially when I bought and stocked up before the panic this or the last time.
I have always said you cannot have too much ammo, reloading supplies or firearms
Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hoarding shmoarding. People who DIDN'T buy ammo are hoarding money aren't they?

You just converted money into ammo that's all.

Also, it's a consumable item. Like hoarding beans or taco shells or whatever. Would your buddy be happier if you shot up all your ammo so you didn't have any?

This reminds me of my kids when I buy them each a bag of chips. One of them eats really fast and when her bag is done, she asks her sister for some of hers. When her sister says no, the first one says "no fair! She has more" LOL. No honey, you ate yours already.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Your friend needs to understand that its not the hoarders that are making it hard for him to buy ammo. Its the people buying up the ammo to flip it for double the price. I have heard people say they don't even own a gun they just want to profit on the current market. We should stop paying these ridiculous prices, if we act together the prices and availability will be back to normal. Its just hard to get everyone on the same page.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM

The whole point of owning firearms becoming self reliant. When you rely on Walmart for ammo every time you go out shooting it defeats the purpose.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:17 PM

Stocking up for your own use... Fine by me, and I would do it if finances allowed.

Stocking up for the purpose of trying to exploit a national tragedy? Not so cool.
Old 03-20-2013, 3:16 PM

"He said its guys like me that hoard all the ammo that keep others from being able to get it", said fiddle around Grasshopper to wise old Ant" - Aesop
Old 03-20-2013, 3:49 PM

I don't consider it hoarding at all and getting ammo at or near pre-panic prices is not impossible. I got back into shooting after nearly 10 years and have managed to pick up about 2K rounds of 3 popular calibres (.223/5.56, 22lr and .40 S&W) since December. I think a 6 month supply is just considered an adequate amount. I work 6 days a week so it's not like I'm camping out or refreshing my browser every few minutes or anything!
Old 03-20-2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
The only problem I see is where you live, 10000 rounds in the country is fine but in an apartment, it might not be. Your local fire marshall has rules about how much you can have. I am not saying I agree with these rules but please check them to stay out of trouble.
Hmmm. I will ask the #2 CA Deputy Fire Marshal about this. Only 1 other LE CADFM above him and the other 2 are non LE and political apparently. I happen to know him personally.

Will update as I know more.

As to hoarding, hoarding is buying it up without rational or consideration of budget. Sounds like you were sound and logical in your process. Nothing wrong with it.

I for one am down to 200 rounds of .40 and that doesn't make me happy.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:16 PM

He's just jealous. Like spare change, no such thing as hoarding
Old 03-20-2013, 5:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

To each his own.
Than Oversexed & Underlaid...:D
Old 03-20-2013, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

These types of threads are all too common these days. They start because people that chose not to be prepared now find themselves in a lurch.

Good for you for buying a little bit at a time. Kind of like throwing a few bucks in the account each pay period. I bet your friend doesn't have much of a savings account either.

I'm now to the point of, "why do you care what they think?" Don't let other people's laziness, ignorance or stupidity ruin what you have done. F it. Tell him the way it is and to grow the F up. Then offer to sell him the 400 rounds at $1 per round for being such a *****y friend.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:57 PM

Yeah, who cares what they think of us. Oh my, fastpowerstroker has 10 cases of water in his garage he must be a hoarding terrorist! Oh look, at walmart he bought the five gallon bucket of oil when he only needs 2.5 gallons to change his truck oil. News flash, its cheaper in bulk and I hate going to the store. Let the ill prepared make their own bed!
Old 03-20-2013, 7:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
What brand? How much?