Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Default "Registered" firearm frustrations!

I had my interview today for my San Bernardino county CCW and was baffled when the investigator told me two of the 3 guns I brought had registration problems and couldn't be put on until adequately registered. My Kahr PM9 which I bought 4 years ago here in CA was simply not registered and some jackass had registered my Ruger LCP as a 9mm instead of 380. I am so frustrated that here is another hurdle to try to battle. The investigator by the way was very nice and welcoming and I appreciated her help and hospitality. Now I am left having to send in a firearm registration form to the DOJ which could take months to properly register my guns. Argh.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

That's life in Californistan.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Go back to the shop(s) were you bought them, hopefully with documentation, complain, then ask for a huge discount on ammo and another gun! 😋
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

. 380 is technically 9mm... 9mm short.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I am not shocked even a little that our gov. phunked up something as simple as a paper with some basic info. Sorry for your troubles..... hope it gets resolved fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 5:05 AM

This is the 3rd incident of this I have heard. Highlander had the same issues. Not sure what is going on lately.
Old 03-19-2013, 5:37 AM
Banned

Joejitsu, same thing happened to my on my G19 and G17, both of which had been on my permit before. G17 was missing US suffix, G19 came back to someone else (I bought it new in 1992). You have to re-file thru the DOJ vol reg at $19 each and wait for it to come back. Mine took about 7 weeks.

Last edited by HighLander51; 03-19-2013 at 5:46 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 7:29 AM

Yeah I filed the DOJ form with the $19 fees as soon as I got home from my interview. It sucks that there is no easy way of checking on the registration status etc.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

I admit to complete confusion on this. The CCW statutes and application do not require registration of weapons. (They will wind up registered when the CCW information is sent to DOF DOJ). Additionally, the statutes prohibit issuing agencies from requiring additional forms and fees.

What am I missing? (Other than it's their license and they said so).

JR

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-19-2013 at 8:31 PM.. Reason: Incorporating Highlander proof edit. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 5:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post

What am I missing? (Other than it's their license and they said ).

JR
Yes, the issuing agency makes the rules, which county are you in? "They will wind up registered when the CCW information is sent to DOF" Did you mean DOJ? And no, your gun's serial going to the DOJ does not mean it is registered to you. As already pointed out by San Bernardino county CCW holders, many registrations have come back either incomplete or incorrect. It is incumbent, in San Bernardino County, to have the weapons returned to you, or it's a no go, period.

Last edited by HighLander51; 03-19-2013 at 6:03 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Yes, the issuing agency makes the rules, which county are you in? "They will wind up registered when the CCW information is sent to DOF" Did you mean DOJ? And no, your gun's serial going to the DOJ does not mean it is registered to you. As already pointed out by San Bernardino county CCW holders, many registrations have come back either incomplete or incorrect. It is incumbent, in San Bernardino County, to have the weapons returned to you, or it's a no go, period.
Highlander...thanks for the input. I've tried to clarify, below.
1. The basic rules are in statute. Some of those rules preclude locals from making rules. (Like no additional forms/fees). That's why there's a statewide application.
2. Sacramento
3. DOJ. Thanks (droid fat fingered). Fixed.
4. CCW guns go in the Registry. (Statute)
5. Doesn't matter if registration is wrong, the gun does not have to be registered for CCW.
6. I'm on the road, but will drag out citations later.

Thanks.

JR
Old 03-19-2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Highlander...thanks for the input. I've tried to clarify, below.
1. The basic rules are in statute. Some of those rules preclude locals from making rules. (Like no additional forms/fees). That's why there's a statewide application.
2. Sacramento
3. DOJ. Thanks (droid fat fingered). Fixed.
4. CCW guns go in the Registry. (Statute)
5. Doesn't matter if registration is wrong, the gun does not have to be registered for CCW.
6. I'm on the road, but will drag out citations later.

Thanks.

JR
The gun may not have to be registered for a CCW Permit, but make too much of a issue of it and see how long you have a permit
Old 03-19-2013, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

That sucks. Although, I personally watch the LGS employees do my paperwork and have corrected 3 DROS paperwork before it was finalized. Thankfully, I caught the stupid mistakes before anything else happened. Still, you think they would this stuff right as it is what they do DAILY.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 03-19-2013, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
The gun may not have to be registered for a CCW Permit, but make too much of a issue of it and see how long you have a permit
It is this type of terror- inducement i'd like to see end.
Let me clarify. I am neither naive nor wet behind the ears. I retired from 30 yrs with the military and some more as a state manager. I lived 61 years without a permit and now have one because of the changes made to limit local whimsy and caprice in the issuance of permits. My hair is still graying and I haven't lost weight. If I lost the permit tomorrow, I'd be annoyed and do my best to ruin a bureaucrat's career, but my hair would still be gray.

My question seeks to understand why these actions are in place. Based on statutes, they are neither required nor allowed to be mandated. I am looking for a stated authority for such policies other than, "'cuz I said so, and I'm the Sheriff".

I apologize. I think I need to redraft this in its own thread.
Thanks.

JR
Old 03-20-2013, 4:55 AM
Banned

Sacramento is not San Bernardino. And for that matter, I don't see anything that says you can only have 3 guns listed on the permit, but San Bernardino County Sheriff says only 3. So he be say only 3, I be only put 3 down....

Last edited by HighLander51; 03-20-2013 at 7:30 AM..