Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 8:15 PM

Default New shooter

I am a relatively new shooter to the precision game and was looking for someone to shoot with and hopefully learn from. I am located in riverside and have access to a private range in corona to shoot at if anyone is local.

I would try and make it out to angeles but with a baby around the corner I have a hunch that may be tough.

If anyone is local let me know I would appreciate the help!
Old 03-16-2013, 6:01 PM
Banned

There is a match tomorrow at West End Gun Club in north san bernardino.

Check in is 7:30 match starts about 8:00

Come on out to watch, meet the locals, ask questions, and learn.

Or better yet, come out and shoot.

Bring at least 70-80 rounds of ammo. bipod/sling/ if you dont have a bipod, a larger backpack is usefull to shoot off of.

Cost to enter the match is $25.

Free to observe.

Enter the range, see the Range Officer at the main range, tell him you're there for the match, he'll tell you where to go.

My brother and I could probably give you a ride up there.

PM me soon today (Sat)

Last edited by postal; 03-16-2013 at 6:05 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 4:38 PM

The CAPRC clinics are also a great way to start. Every one is the club is eager to help. They are just a great bunch of guys.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:43 PM
Banned

Yeah- good reminder.

OP you need to go to "caprc.com"

Sign up (free) and watch the sections on monthly matches, and big matches to see the schedule. All the matches around show up there, very little of that traffic comes here to calguns.

Most of the new shooter clinics are run by caprc out at angeles. Though we can get you going out at west end too.

Shoot me a PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Yeah- good reminder.

OP you need to go to "caprc.com"

Sign up (free) and watch the sections on monthly matches, and big matches to see the schedule. All the matches around show up there, very little of that traffic comes here to calguns.

Most of the new shooter clinics are run by caprc out at angeles. Though we can get you going out at west end too.

Shoot me a PM.
Thanks for the info Postal. I have been browsing the CaPRC website and noticed that I missed the last "A" clinic. I'll keep an eye out and get out to one of the WEGC matches.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of equipment would you recommend? Right now I have a Savage chambered in 6.5x47 with bull barrel and Sightron SIIISS 8-32x56 LRTD/TDT. Its not exactly a mobile package, how much mobility is required?
Old 03-19-2013, 3:21 PM
Banned

Sounds like you're GTG to start out with.

8 power is a 'little' high... but it's doable. 6x or lower is better on the bottom end- wider field of view makes finding close targets faster and easier. Unsupported shooting, a lower power is handy too. But 8x will work. During down time, check out all the other scopes, look through them, talk to a few people about pros and cons of each, and costs, to get an idea what people like, and why- and if you decide to upgrade your scope, you'll see through the scopes you're considering. We also have a guy that sells equipment and supplies at a good price including scopes, rings, bases, nylon gear, etc.

At WEGC we dont do a lot of 'mobility'. And lately, not a lot of unsupported positional either. Many of the guys are shooting custom rifles weighing in the neighborhood of 15-17+ pounds... When we do shoot unsupported standing/kneeling/sitting the weight is tough to deal with.... but most people use rifles in that weight range.

It's mostly prone, but the match director likes a 'race competition' too. Rifle on a bench, loaded, bolt forward but not closed down, you start about 5 feet away, and run to the rifle slap the bolt down, and fire 3 shots- from the bench- first steel about 140 yds, 2nd steel about 220?yds, then back to steel at 140 yds. Doing this against another competitor- you must hit all 3, and be faster than the other guy...

You need a bipod, or a large backpack. Bring extra jackets to stuff into the back pack to raise/lower the height. Bring a shooting mat if you have one- or a camping sleeping mat or something to lay on.

Also, the match director does NOT allow rear bags/sand socks. You can use a shooting glove, or a shemagh wrapped around your support hand though. I find a shemagh is almost as solid as a rear sand sock.

There are 243, 260, 6.5, and 308 usually on the line. Occasionally someone will shoot a 223, but the BIG MATCH is bigger guns only. 243 minimum.

Next month, we can probably carpool to the match. Meet everyone, tell them you're new to this, people will help you out, and answer all your questions along the way. It's a fun, informal competition. Nothing serious. The annual big match is serious, but we still have a lot of fun. Thats in October??

Just make sure to bring a dope chart from 50yd to 600yd preferably in 50 yd increments. See "jbmballistics.com" to print up a chart if you need one.

Let me know if you need help with it- some options can get complicated.

We can also spend a little time after the match covering basic match strategy- how to approach a COF, and the more common unsupported positions so you can start practicing dry/live fire with unsupported.

Also, never bad to have knee/elbow pads. I havent really used them much lately, but a nice thing to have available. A Camelback, or a small cooler with some water.

What part of Riv are you in?

Last edited by postal; 03-19-2013 at 3:45 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 4:29 PM

Hey thanks for the info postal. I'm in the woodcrest/lake Matthews area near Washington and van buren. Whereabouts are you?