Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 01-15-2013, 4:47 PM

Default savage 30.06 axis

just bought a new savage 3006 and i am going to try a big mueller scope i think 8x25x50 would like to know how far can i shoot a target with a nice possble 5 or6 inch group.. by the way folks i am a newbie...also i am a proud owner of a colt m4 and mossberg 500
Old 02-01-2013, 5:01 PM
Banned

Well.... Thats a tough question....

The axis is an 'entry level' rifle. Even still, its a savage, so it should probably be right around 1MOA...

Assuming the scope is mounted properly, and you find quality ammo. (not the easiest thing for 06... but I believe black hills makes match ammo in 06)

This would mean that you should be able to hold about 1MOA.... which is about 1" at 100 yds, 2" at 200, 3 at 300... etc. Meaning you should be around 500-600 yds and hold roughly a 6" group.... Then reality smacks you upside the head..... since the farther you shoot, the more the groups open up...

So.... 400 or 500 you should be able to hold that 5-6" group, at 600 yds, not so much, though its possible.... Even farther, still "possible" but not "plausible".

First and foremost, you said you're a newbie.... so *maybe* you couldnt hold 5-6" at 200 yds... Too many variables.... but a good shooter with that rifle/scope/good ammo will probably get to roughly 500 yds with 5-6 inch groups.

I cant hold MOA at 500-600 yds yet. Though the rifle can do it.

-edit- I seriously doubt.... especially as a newbie.... that you're the proud owner of a "colt M4". Perhaps, Uncle Sam is "loaning you one", or perhaps you own an AR 15... but as a newb, I really have to question you're M4 ownership...

Last edited by postal; 02-01-2013 at 5:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
-edit- I seriously doubt.... especially as a newbie.... that you're the proud owner of a "colt M4"...
New colt commercial carbines are being sold with "M4 Carbine" rollmarks on them so they are NOT banned by name in CA...

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5844/sp6920carm1.jpg

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 02-19-2013, 3:17 PM

My buddy / spotting partner bought the same rifle as you, and I went with a Howa 308. As postal mentioned, it should be a 1 MOA rifle, BUT, for my taste / preference, I would make 2 more investments if I were you...
1) A nice recoil pad, either on your shoulder or on the buttstock - that Axis stock is brutal with the 30-06 recoil (we like to shoot about 100 rounds per trip).
2) A lighter trigger. I believe timney makes some for this model, but I could be mistaken. But, that's somethin you should get a feel for, it's part of the fun after all
Old 02-19-2013, 4:46 PM
Banned

Havent messed with that trigger, but many can be cleaned up easily with some different grits sand paper, then stones then polishing compound on a dremel.

Note, I am specifically talking about cleaning up machine marks, and smoothing surfaces.

Absolutely NOT recommending anything at all about changing any angles or tolerances on any surface. Just smooth up the existing surface...

doing that alone can make a big difference.

Last edited by postal; 02-19-2013 at 4:50 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
New colt commercial carbines are being sold with "M4 Carbine" rollmarks on them so they are NOT banned by name in CA...

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5844/sp6920carm1.jpg
ok thanks for the technical info ... now my gun is colt ar15 6920 .223 designated m4 for cal ....but tell me something were you not a proud owner when you bought your first mercedes even thoug you were a newbie to that car....i am very proud to own this weapon boss and my sav12 bvsss 308 and moss 500 and i am still a newbie thank you i really dont understand why you made that staement.. like you can read peoples mind....very interesting

Last edited by plutonium; 03-14-2013 at 5:54 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonium View Post
now my gun is colt ar15 6920 .223 designated m4 for cal ....but tell me something were you not a proud owner when you bought your first mercedes even thoug you were a newbie to that car....i am very proud to own this weapon boss and my sav12 bvsss 308 and moss 500 and i am still a newbie thank you i really dont understand why you made that staement..
Well, if you read my reply, it was in response to postal who said that he doubts you have a "Colt M4".
I pointed out that a "Colt M4" is legal in California.
Rifles marked "Colt AR-15" on the receiver are banned by name in California unless you registered them as assault weapons in 2001 or 1989.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-16-2013, 5:52 PM
Banned

Yeah, He was talkin to me.

The confusion came from "Colt M4" generally refers to the military issue selectfire full auto carbine.

Anytime someone says "M4" that's usually what they're talking about. An "Mforgery" refers to an AR that looks like mil issue.

Usually, no one in the US gets a real M4 unless Uncle Sam 'loaned' you one. An M4 is not able to be purchased by us 'regular peons' since it's a short barrel and full auto select fire...

I didnt know they were calling a line of AR's "M4" for civilian sales.

You see how it confuses things a bit?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Well back on topic, good choice on the Axis. I have one in .308 and it is very accurate, though not since I installed a new scope. Of course, that is not the guns fault though. All in all, it is a great combo for the money. The trigger does need some work, but I have had great results from a $1 spring replacement. Google Axis spring replacement for the details. It dropped my pull weight from 7 lbs to ~ 3 lbs. Plus it handles drop tests so far
Old 04-01-2013, 2:45 PM

My cousin and dad both have a Savage Axis. They quite possibly have the worst trigger I have ever felt on a bolt gun. It is heavy and gritty. Talk about a suprise break, I'm suprised the trigger breaks at all. I think rifle basics makes a trigger for it. The stock is pretty flimsy also. That could cause impact shifts if the thin barrel touches the stock. It's a decent entry huning rifle. It NEEDS a recoil pad. Especially for the .308 and 30-06 models. It is so light that it obsorbs no recoil.