Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-18-2013, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation Brass Monkeys

The brass monkeys are in full force at various comps.

This past weekend alone, I've had to yell at 4-5 people to stop following me (picking up brass) and the shooter as I was RO'ing a stage.

I understand brass is a free-for-all once it hits the ground, I get it. But for safety reasons... wait until the stage is all clear before hitting the deck.

I feel that range owners/operators and event coordinators really need to crack down on this issue...

I also find it funny how brass monkeys never help setup a stage and complain why their squad had to wait so long to shoot.

/rant

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 02-18-2013, 8:44 PM

Brass is NOT a free for all once it hits the ground. It is the right of the last shooter to gather his/her own bras before anyone scarfs it on them. Politeness says each shooter owns there own brass for as long as a squad is still shooting on a stage. Once a squad is done and the shooters who left brass on the ground have walked away, then free-for-all brassing can be done is the way I see it and have always seen it done at our range.

It is very bad form IMHO for anyone to grab someones else's brass before they have been given a chance to recover it themselves. I mark mine distinctively and will always ask others who are picking if they have any of mine in their take and to please let me have it back.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:10 PM

At most of the clubs I shoot, after the "all clear" it's "tapers and brassers". We just pick up everything that's on the ground, put it in the pick up tray, then if anyone wants their brass, it's up to them to sort through the tray.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I tell everyone that I am shooting 9 major and they have 10 firings. No one picks up my brass.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

It's usually tape first then you pick the brass..

"its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"
Old 02-18-2013, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
Brass is NOT a free for all once it hits the ground. It is the right of the last shooter to gather his/her own bras before anyone scarfs it on them. Politeness says each shooter owns there own brass for as long as a squad is still shooting on a stage. Once a squad is done and the shooters who left brass on the ground have walked away, then free-for-all brassing can be done is the way I see it and have always seen it done at our range.

It is very bad form IMHO for anyone to grab someones else's brass before they have been given a chance to recover it themselves. I mark mine distinctively and will always ask others who are picking if they have any of mine in their take and to please let me have it back.
I totally agree.

There just seems to be new reloaders/shooters (there is nothing wrong with that, the more the merrier) that think they can scarf as much brass as possible DURING the shoot and while an entire squad is already on deck.

Disgusting.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
I tell everyone that I am shooting 9 major and they have 10 firings. No one picks up my brass.
LOL, good one. I do shoot 9 major and I toss them after 4-5 firings
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow... We always pick up brass... And give it to the shooter if he/she wants it. NEVER has anyone just walked away with it.

We do it that way for several reasons, but above all it's never a good habit to pick up your brass after you shoot.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Brass is NOT free until its in the brass bucket. If its on the ground, it's still mine
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 02-19-2013, 5:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
The brass monkeys are in full force at various comps.

This past weekend alone, I've had to yell at 4-5 people to stop following me (picking up brass) and the shooter as I was RO'ing a stage.

I understand brass is a free-for-all once it hits the ground, I get it. But for safety reasons... wait until the stage is all clear before hitting the deck.

I feel that range owners/operators and event coordinators really need to crack down on this issue...

I also find it funny how brass monkeys never help setup a stage and complain why their squad had to wait so long to shoot.

/rant
No, the owners/operators/event coordinatior/match directors simply need to state the rules for brassing. No one from the next squad picks up brass until you hand them the clipboard, at which time it becomes their stage, after you and your squad are done brassing. Don't be shy about it

What range and match did this happen at?
Old 02-26-2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post

+1 on this. besides being unsafe, are only the shooters and ROs allowed on the course during live fire?
Old 02-26-2013, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Er.. except me
Old 02-26-2013, 3:31 PM

Im taking all your brass. Cry yell scream have a hissy fit all you want. Im still taking your brass.

I will however wait till your squad is done shooting before i start. Whatever is left when my squad starts is fair game. And i will stay after my squad is done to get all our brass before i leave.

It wasnt me last weekend youre crying about but if it is in the future then ill kindly ignore you while i roll up all the brass i want.

Old 02-26-2013, 3:39 PM
CGSSA Associate

If I'm picking up someone else's brass, I always offer it to them first. If they don't want it.... oooh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 02-26-2013, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

The squads I shoot on, we usually pool all the brass in one big bucket and sort it out at the end of the match. I usually bring a brass wizard and 45/40/9 sorting trays.

It works pretty well, 1 or 2 people pick up brass and everyone else helps score / tape. Since no one worries about getting their brass everyone is more inclined to help tape.
Old 03-04-2013, 3:22 PM

well karma kicked me in the *** last weekend.

i thought i was the baddest brass monkey in the business and then gary chan comes over before his squad shoots and helps himself to my squad's brass before i have a chance to finish getting it.

dang it!

Old 03-04-2013, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict