Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-23-2013, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrpe View Post
You asked for an example, he gave you one. Instead of thanking him, you launch into a sarcastic tirade?

You lost that round, Bill.
We were talking about the threats out there when camping.

Fighting over a parking space has nothing to do with camping - pointing that out isn't a sarcastic tirade - realizing that it is not a threat while camping is common sense.

Telling me that "I lost that round" because of that is ridiculous.
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Old 02-23-2013, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
Yep - you got me, measured it all up from the total sum of three posts that lead to your intimate knowledge of me.

Any smart real camper will understand the need for self defense especially in present day.

Mountain Lion? (Cougar, Puma, Panther)
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/lion/attacks.html

15 verified attacks on people in California SINCE 1890, yeah 15 attacks in 123 years - I'm really scared of a ML attack while camping.

Bears?
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/be...incidents.html

12 attacks since 1980 no deaths most involved people who had food on them (backpacks) or left food out. 12 attacks in 33 years - not too worried about those statistics either - and bear spray is a lot cheaper and lighter to carry.

What else are you afraid of?
While odds of a violent predator entering your house and raping.your children is unlikely, I bet you lock your doors anyway.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!
Old 02-23-2013, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This guy comes to mind, some kids went camping in the desert near Mojave.

No more feeding now . . . . .
Facts are facts....

Again - nothing to do with camping...do any of you bother to read the articles or just the headlines??

Lance Buflo, Soto's husband and the lone survivor of the shooting, testified at Murtishaw's 1979 trial that he and fellow students were making a film in the Mojave Desert in Kern County when Murtishaw and another man asked them for a ride after their car had broken down.

The group told the men that they could have a ride when they were finished filming in the late afternoon sunlight. The men walked away but later returned.

Without warning, Murtishaw opened fire on the group with a rifle.

---

Quote:
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Old 02-23-2013, 7:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Keep digging,

Quote:
Facts are facts....

Again - nothing to do with camping...do any of you bother to read the articles or just the headlines??

Lance Buflo, Soto's husband and the lone survivor of the shooting, testified at Murtishaw's 1979 trial that he and fellow students were making a film in the Mojave Desert in Kern County when Murtishaw and another man asked them for a ride after their car had broken down.

The group told the men that they could have a ride when they were finished filming in the late afternoon sunlight. The men walked away but later returned.

Without warning, Murtishaw opened fire on the group with a rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
While odds of a violent predator entering your house and raping.your children is unlikely, I bet you lock your doors anyway.

Most people who don't live in the city don't.

My family that lives in upstate NY never does, neither do most (if not all) of their neighbors, the idea is ridiculous to them that you would ever need to do that.

---

Quote:
[/size]
Old 02-23-2013, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Keep digging,
Where is the word camping mentioned once... just show it to me and I'll concede.

You can't. it must be difficult to live in your reality - are you always right or is it that everyone else is always wrong?

---

Quote:
[/size]
Old 02-23-2013, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Most people who don't live in the city don't.

My family that lives in upstate NY never does, neither do most (if not all) of their neighbors, the idea is ridiculous to them that you would ever need to do that.
But you do lock your doors.

Old 02-23-2013, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And we're talking about the need for personal protection while being 10 miles out and camping.

I wear a bathing suit when I use my pool, but not when I'm taking a bath.

I live in a city with half a million people in it, surrounded by cities with that much or more. There is a need to lock your doors and to have personal protection here.

When I'm out camping, let say at Cathedral Lake, who should I be worried about encountering?

---

Quote:
[/size]
Old 02-23-2013, 8:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Where is the word camping mentioned once... just show it to me and I'll concede.

You can't. it must be difficult to live in your reality - are you always right or is it that everyone else is always wrong?
Sure,

Now you argue semantics, having spun, crashed, and burned on logic. Keep moving the goalposts.

You asked for examples, they were given to you.

You lacked the grace to say, "Thank you."

That is not something we can help you with.

Carry on, bill-k-lopez, there is a convention somewhere looking or a keynote speaker.
Quote:
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:41 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
And we're talking about the need for personal protection while being 10 miles out and camping.
who should I be worried about encountering?
I keep it simple. I carry a Redhawk .44 in a shoulder holster. I'm hunting.
Don't worry be happy, and mindful of varmints both 2 legged and 4 legged..Some people on the fringe of sanity and people hiding out from the law. Dope growers,meth cookers, Bears,Mt. Lions,Coyotes etc. And because other people do.
maybe I'm just serious about survival of my kids,Grandkids, wife and anyone in range who is encountering a life threatening situation. .
I don't have a V on my forehead. V=Victim

Last edited by thomashoward; 02-24-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I wear a bathing suit when I use my pool, but not when I'm taking a bath.

I live in a city with half a million people in it, surrounded by cities with that much or more. There is a need to lock your doors and to have personal protection here.

When I'm out camping, let say at Cathedral Lake, who should I be worried about encountering?
You percieve a credible threat, no matter how slim, so you take action to mitigate the threat, but ridicule others who do the same in a different circumstance, because you don't percieve the threat. Got it. In your opinion, you're better than them because you're somehow smarter or better informed....

Now I'm just trying to decide if you're stupid, a common troll, an anti in disguise (since that same "I get protection but you don't" mantra is a common theme), or, as was mentioned, just a dick.

Or whatever combination of the former fits.

Old 02-23-2013, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Heheheh, yeah, you either get it or you don't.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yep - you got me, measured it all up from the total sum of three posts that lead to your intimate knowledge of me.

Any smart real camper will understand the need for self defense especially in present day.

Mountain Lion? (Cougar, Puma, Panther)
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/lion/attacks.html

15 verified attacks on people in California SINCE 1890, yeah 15 attacks in 123 years - I'm really scared of a ML attack while camping.

Bears?

12 attacks since 1980 no deaths most involved people who had food on them (backpacks) or left food out. 12 attacks in 33 years - not too worried about those statistics either - and bear spray is a lot cheaper and lighter to carry.

What else are you afraid of?
Humans.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441

read through that thread and tell me you dont want to carry a gun in the woods still. Animals can typically be scared off with some noise. Humans with ill intent however are typically not dissuaded by you jumping up and down with your arms in the air. There are all kinds of people off in the woods that you dont want to meet without being armed.

And before you equate what I just said to not having anything to do with camping, a lot of those stories involved camping.

Last edited by joemama; 02-23-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
shhhhhhhh............don't feed it too much 'Real' facts or 'logic'......it will cause extreme anger...we'll just back off.........I'm sure 90% of campers that does some type of 'real' camping is packing heat. I say this becuz most of the campers I've come across are carrying and quite a few are carrying the blackrifle flavor. He just wants to blend into the 'camping' scene bcuz all he's ever done is paid campgrounds........Try the real type of camping instead........I managed to get my sister to try real camping instead of their usual 'sheeple camping expeditions' off the highway on paid campgrounds. She says yeah, it's hard work but very exciting....much more fun. And so far, we've already gone 3 trips together.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Sounds like Bill is so tough the wilderness is scared of him. What a tool
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM

bill_k_lopez
I've worked in the mental health field for eight years and have read a lot of charts and heard a lot of stories of how people were raped or killed. I don't care if I never get attacked and carried a weapon in the woods or camping for nothing. But I'll sure as hell be glad when I had it there when I needed it.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

back on topic...

this...

and this...

Old 02-23-2013, 1:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

XD .45

semi auto sport rifle
Old 02-23-2013, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
I don't know why anyone is arguing with him. He's obviously just looking for an argument. And it's gonna be never ending cause he's just not gonna get it. Or he does and won't admit it cause he's bored. Either way, if you're in a forum like this asking why you need a gun... ?? I'm puzzled

He's a long term idiot.

Old 02-23-2013, 1:48 PM

I bring the wife....... Plenty of protection with that statement....

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
NRA Recruiter
Field Staff MNT OPS
Old 02-23-2013, 4:25 PM

When out in the woods I all ways carry a pistol. Usually a .45. I do not fear the four lagged type very much as they will 99% of the time leave me alone. I have a unspoken agreement with snakes. If they leave me along I will not kill them.

What I do worry about are the two legged variety that are up to no good like growing pot.

I all so like to through my SU-16 behind the seat when I go wood cutting.
Old 02-23-2013, 5:10 PM

Sometimes I go to the mountains to shoot my AR15, or my Winchester 94, or my Springfield XD45, or maybe the Sig 228, or the Ruger MII. Sometimes I have to sleep in the woods. I usually don't bring anything for protection. I just hope the fire keeps them away.
Oh I also throw food scraps around my buddy's tent and pitch my tent far from his.
Old 02-23-2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
I don't know why anyone is arguing with him. He's obviously just looking for an argument. And it's gonna be never ending cause he's just not gonna get it. Or he does and won't admit it cause he's bored. Either way, if you're in a forum like this asking why you need a gun... ?? I'm puzzled
Those who have been around and pay attention to their surroundings and the news know there are real dangers out there. For anyone who doesn't, google or bing around - there is lots of data to support this.

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/artic...ns-3273761.php
http://www.adn.com/2008/07/12/463256...s-deserve.html
http://www.adn.com/2008/08/05/484087...attacking.html
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31951883/n...ife/?GT1=43001
http://www.adn.com/2010/06/24/133952...#ixzz0roLS1B4m
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38490599/?gt1=43001
http://www.adn.com/2010/07/08/135949...rixzz0tD1I8Q8D
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ar-attack.html
http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940...walker-to.html
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=4847970
http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/in...deral-Job.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rica_by_decade
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44224604/n...me_and_courts/
http://www.yosemitegold.com/yosemite/sund.htm

OP, I always have a G27 with me camping for day trips, G23 with light for overnight camping trips. If on a shooting trip, I bring lots more.

Last edited by CJ5&G23; 03-09-2013 at 4:49 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Why do you need guns when you go camping?

Because the Hills have Eyes!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 PM

lives close to half a million people, need gun for protection...... away from any kind of help, and no cell signal... don't need gun protection.... yea ok.
Old 02-24-2013, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

That Bill guy sure got awful quite...

I hope his bridge didn't collapse on him.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Sometimes I go to the mountains to shoot my AR15, or my Winchester 94, or my Springfield XD45, or maybe the Sig 228, or the Ruger MII. Sometimes I have to sleep in the woods. I usually don't bring anything for protection. I just hope the fire keeps them away.
Oh I also throw food scraps around my buddy's tent and pitch my tent far from his.
LOL

Another tip when camping with a buddy. If you're both being chased by a hungry bear, shoot your buddy in the leg.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

Last edited by Oceanbob; 02-24-2013 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: spewldlhin
Old 02-24-2013, 1:04 PM
Banned

If I had to choose a gun it would most likely be my DE44.. itll kill almost anything and is loud enough to scare anything around for miles. If it came down to scramble, I dont think any of these people would have time to get to a shotgun or rifle ..people tend to forget that most wild animals that can kill a human are 5x faster and stronger than you are..
Old 02-24-2013, 1:05 PM

Glock 22 or marlin 336 30/30
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM

It's interesting the people mostly carry large calibers. What about a compact 9mm or a small snubby .357?

Aren't they easier to walk around with and are still effective enough for the 2legged animals?

What about if you're just going for a hike, do you still carry 45s or 44 magnums?

When I go hiking in the hills where I live I'll just pack a 9mm or a .357 snubby with maybe an extra mag or speed loader. I encounter a weirdo or 2 along the way usually and then there are snakes (never run into one however).
Old 02-25-2013, 1:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Odd, I know, but a Lee-Enfield.

I figure 180 grn moving at ~2500 fps will put most things down. Worst case scenario, it doubles as a spear.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-25-2013, 6:46 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarik View Post
It's interesting the people mostly carry large calibers. What about a compact 9mm or a small snubby .357?

Aren't they easier to walk around with and are still effective enough for the 2legged animals?

What about if you're just going for a hike, do you still carry 45s or 44 magnums?

When I go hiking in the hills where I live I'll just pack a 9mm or a .357 snubby with maybe an extra mag or speed loader. I encounter a weirdo or 2 along the way usually and then there are snakes (never run into one however).
I don't own a 9mm and find that a .38 would be ineffective in country where predators have teeth and claws. I carry a firearm capable of downing the largest beast i may encounter where I am.
I like the hands free felling of a shoulder holster. Well balanced and kept warm in cold country.Well suited to horseback. A .44 is OK but I like my very capable 4 5/8 Blackhawk .41 better.
I wish someone would make a .41 in L frame
Old 02-25-2013, 6:49 AM
JUICEBAG
CGN Contributor

Trojans

Old 02-25-2013, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarik View Post

Depends where I'm hiking. Up in Tahoe during the Spring, where I might run into a bear and her cubs. I might carry a .357 or .44 mag at a minimum my Glock 23 and a can of Bear Spray. Places where I only worry about two legged predators during hiking I just carry my Glock 23. Never really liked sub compact or snubbie revolvers. Reason being is if you run into any bad people out in the woods there's usually 2 or more. Prefer higher capacity and additional accuracy with a little larger gun. Just a personal choice, not saying it's the right way.
Old 02-25-2013, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertac916 View Post
Depends where I'm hiking. Up in Tahoe during the Spring, where I might run into a bear and her cubs. I might carry a .357 or .44 mag at a minimum my Glock 23 and a can of Bear Spray. Places where I only worry about two legged predators during hiking I just carry my Glock 23. Never really liked sub compact or snubbie revolvers. Reason being is if you run into any bad people out in the woods there's usually 2 or more. Prefer higher capacity and additional accuracy with a little larger gun. Just a personal choice, not saying it's the right way.
You had me at Depends.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM

You guys can carry ALL OF THE ABOVE in Sequoia National park? I thought this is not allowed.. or maybe I was thinking about Yosemite?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
You guys can carry ALL OF THE ABOVE in Sequoia National park? I thought this is not allowed.. or maybe I was thinking about Yosemite?
I think national parks are restricted to no discharge of firearms....keep forgetting the regs reguarding nat parks bcuz I no longer care for going into such hippytreehuggin regulated disneyland of the sierras.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 02-26-2013, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
You had me at Depends.
LOL.. Haven't needed those yet, but for some they might come in handy
Old 02-26-2013, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
I just carry my CCW gun either my G23 or 1911 and a can of bear spray. As long as you could outrun the smallest child we'll be fine