Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Moving to Henderson, NV

So I had been considering moving to Phoenix but have decided to go to Henderson instead in late July.

As a current California resident and gun owner, I would like to know the steps I need to take to keep everything legal when I make the move. If someone lives in Henderson or Clark County or has moved there, please shoot me a PM.

In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1) When I arrive, should I apply for a driver's license first, or should I register my handgun first?

2) Is there any firearm, accessory, or ammunition legal in California that is illegal in Nevada?

3) If I obtain my Nevada CCW before moving there, will it still be valid once I make the move?

4) Do private party transfers in Nevada require going through an FFL or any other form of paperwork or waiting period?

Thank you!
Old 02-22-2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
So I had been considering moving to Phoenix but have decided to go to Henderson instead in late July.

As a current California resident and gun owner, I would like to know the steps I need to take to keep everything legal when I make the move. If someone lives in Henderson or Clark County or has moved there, please shoot me a PM.

1) When I arrive, should I apply for a driver's license first, or should I register my handgun first?

2) Is there any firearm, accessory, or ammunition legal in California that is illegal in Nevada?

3) If I obtain my Nevada CCW before moving there, will it still be valid once I make the move?

4) Do private party transfers in Nevada require going through an FFL or any other form of paperwork or waiting period?

Thank you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Nevada
Old 02-22-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
LOL!
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 02-22-2013, 2:06 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Arriving in Henderson in July! Good plan. Never mind the pistol. Ask a friend or neighbor to turn on the AC for you a week before you get there. (lol)
Old 02-22-2013, 2:13 PM

This link with a map will give you some idea about Nevada & your guns;

http://momsdemandaction.org/wp-conte...ateGunLaws.jpg
Old 02-22-2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Rebar View Post
Yeah, that's the first place I checked. It doesn't answer any of the questions in the first post...
but thanks for the bump!

And yeah it'll be hot but I don't mind the dry heat as much as most folks. At any rate it likely won't be too much worse than Phoenix, which was the other place I was looking at.
But can anyone help me with answers to those questions?
Old 02-22-2013, 2:17 PM
In Memoriam

www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf

After being a resident for 60 days in Henderson, you have to register your handguns.

The North Las Vegas handgun prohibition sounds severe; no idea if it is enforced.

With LTC, unlike in California, you can't carry in airports and schools.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:16 PM
short bus driver

Quote:

Thank you!
1. Get a NV DL first. After you establish residency in Clark County NV, you have 72 hours to register your handguns.

2. No.

3. Yes. However, after you establish residency in NV, you must notify them of your new address within 30 days of moving. Depending on the issuing agency, this may involve paying a fee to get a new permit with your NV address on it. Also, a resident (NV address on it) NV CFP issued after 07-01-2011 is exempt from the $25 NCIS check/fee. So, you may want to get your permit after you move to NV.

4. Private party transfers between NV residents do not require the use of a NV FFL dealer.
However, as a resident of Clark County, any handguns you acquire need to be registered within 72 hours of being acquiring them.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-22-2013 at 8:26 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

i HAVE A CLIENT THERE.....REALLY NICE CITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Are there any firearms that are an issue in Clark County???

Yes- pocket knives. I had a friend with a Nevada CCW almost get arrested as he had a folder on him.

Research the local knife laws if you carry a fixed or folding blade.
Old 02-22-2013, 9:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Thank you!
Henderson's a nice town. The Pepcon explosion took place in the desert near Henderson - worth a look on YouTube. I remember it well, had a hangover and that didn't help.

It's been a while since I lived there. Clark County has some sort of handgun sale card or registration card to complete during or after the sale. I recall walking into Metro's office holding a Model 27 - they were very attentive.

I would get the DL first. You should check the NV DMV and find out what they need so you can get the NDL - it may not be as simple as turning in your CDL, NV may not even take the CDL as a form of ID.

I would say that if you get a non-res NV CCW that once you become a resident the license no longer applies. At the least, your address info will be outdated and I can't see a non-res permit being issued to a person with a Henderson address.

I can't think of anything legal here that is illegal there. I don't know if the pawn shops still sell guns, but when I lived there they were by far the best place to buy used guns.

I hope you have a sense of self control. Being a gun owner, going from CA to NV is like going from a convent to strip club.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM

I'm also moving back to Henderson late this Spring. We lived there from 2004-06 and really liked it. We own a house in Anthem and are looking forward to returning.
Old 02-23-2013, 1:59 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Are there any firearms that are an issue in Clark County???

Yes- pocket knives. I had a friend with a Nevada CCW almost get arrested as he had a folder on him.

Research the local knife laws if you carry a fixed or folding blade.
There are no firearms that are an issue in Clark County.

NV laws, like CA laws, prohibits the possession of switchblades, blackjacks, slungshots, billys and metal knuckles.

NV laws, like CA laws, prohibits the conceal carry of knives.
Clark County Ordinances prohibits the conceal carry of knives with a blade length of 3" or greater.
Unlike CA laws, this prohibition also includes folding knives that are folded closed.
However, as long as part of the knife is visible (like a pocket clip) than it is not considered "concealed".

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-23-2013, 6:44 AM
In Memoriam

Henderson is great. My buddy moved there and within weeks had bought his first CLASS 3 weapons. And the heat is only in the summer -- in the winter it's COLD -- it's the desert. And once you get your "blue card" you can walk out of the guns store with your handgun the day you buy it. F Kaliforniacation!
Old 02-23-2013, 6:58 AM

#2 - NO.

#3 - YES, Nev CCW is good for five years, CA resident or not.

And congrats on the move, I'm just a bit jealous.

Last edited by sdkevin; 02-23-2013 at 7:00 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 7:40 AM

This would seriously be my dream come true, but unfortunately, my family business shackles me to this God forsaken communist s@!t hole of a state.

Out of curiosity, what will you do for a living? What are job prospects like out there?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Thank you very much for your helpful responses, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike402 View Post
This would seriously be my dream come true, but unfortunately, my family business shackles me to this God forsaken communist s@!t hole of a state.

Out of curiosity, what will you do for a living? What are job prospects like out there?
I work in research right now but will be starting medical school in the Fall. Not sure what the job prospects are in other fields but Nevada suffers from a severe physician shortage.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Spent 6 years living in Henderson while stationed at Nellis AFB. Would not mind moving back but it was more expensive to live there than here. Maybe that has changed in the nearly 7 years I have been living here.

Best of luck out there!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Thank you!
I actually just moved to Henderson 2 months ago.

1. Apply for a drivers license first you can use this to buy firearms ASAP! You have 30 days to register handguns. Just take them unloaded to a police department to get a blue card.

2. Nothing legal in ca is illegal here. Remove your bullet buttons! 8D

3. Wait until you have your license for ccw.y you can take your ccw class though.

4. No ffl needed here just use a bill of sale!
Old 02-23-2013, 6:08 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Thank you very much for your helpful responses, everyone!
Forgot to add...

When you move out there get involved in the pro-gun movements in NV.

The anti-gun movement is trying to make NV into CA and they are experiencing some success in Clark County ("SoCal East").

Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 PM

NevadaShooters.com might also be a good resource for you.

www.projecthealingwaters.org
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

If you have the means, get a suppressor!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 PM

Back in my day everyone called Henderson Hooterville.

Ray
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

When you move out there get involved in the pro-gun movements in NV.

The anti-gun movement is trying to make NV into CA and they are experiencing some success in Clark County ("SoCal East").
Just to illustrate this point ....

When I lived there one of the local celebrities was a fellow named Ben Stepman - a Cal Worthington type, always on TV promoting Henderson (his tag line was "in Henderson, of course ...") and whatever dealership he happened to own at the time. I just pulled up a yellow pages advert on him and included in it is a link to "support Gabby Giffords & Mark Kelly's efforts to end gun violence". Just because it's NV doesn't mean the other side leaves us alone.
Old 02-24-2013, 1:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
There are no firearms that are an issue in Clark County.

NV laws, like CA laws, prohibits the possession of switchblades, blackjacks, slungshots, billys and metal knuckles.

NV laws, like CA laws, prohibits the conceal carry of knives.
Clark County Ordinances prohibits the conceal carry of knives with a blade length of 3" or greater.
Unlike CA laws, this prohibition also includes folding knives that are folded closed.
However, as long as part of the knife is visible (like a pocket clip) than it is not considered "concealed".
BS knife laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 PM

I recently moved back to California after living in Henderson for 7 years and I wanted to add to this thread. (All this is AFAIK)

Ah, the Clark County Blue Card. One of the few places in the USA where you have to register your handguns after you purchase them (of course, when you buy a handgun from a dealer in Clark County they can issue you the blue card then and there).

My problem with the blue card is I have never read of a criminal being convicted of not registering their handgun with Metro. My guess is that the DA drops the blue card violations when the bad guys plead to whatever other charges they may be facing. There has been talk for years of plans to eliminate handgun registration in Clark County but it always seems to stall in Carson City. Anyway, I'll shut up about that.

AFAIK, once you register your handgun(s), you do not have to update your address if you move within Clark County. CCW holders, of course, must keep their address current with Metro.

Speaking of CCW's, The Gun Store on Tropicana offers free CCW classes three times a week. This offer is open to residents or visitors. The class takes a day. You will need to qualify with the type of weapon you want to carry, e.g. semi or revolver or both. I've purchased from them and taken their class, decent people. (Edited to add: they charge for ammo used for the CCW)

Enjoy the sunshine, I may end up moving back there! Closing with a link to Metro's gun registration page (the CCW link is on the left on this page too)

LV Metro handgun registration page

(P.S. For Pawn shops, check Bargain Pawn on Vegas Blvd)

Last edited by Hit; 02-24-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 1:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Try asking here.
http://www.nevadashooters.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Watch come Wednesday. It's going to be a landslide. Forget the polls, look at the census data, trump screwed up. Tell you what though if trump had made peace with woman and hispancis he could have pulled this off. But he kept at em. Just couldn't shut up.
NRA Benefactor Member