Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-30-2013, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokesdmb View Post
Funny how everyone is knocking herb Bauer. I bought a citori there for 1500 and a kimber for 800. Besides those tho they do have bad prices. I bought some 450 marlin ammo online for 120 for 4 boxes shipped... herb was selling the same type for 45 per box

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2
Herbs is the biggest rip off ive ever seen. They had a remy 700 for 8 years on the rack and its MSRP was 650.00 they have it listed for 2750.00 with a MARK4 3.5-10x 40mm leupold Dueplex that has scratchs and its OLDER then the rifle. More people have touched it and scratched that scope up. 10-22s were 750.00 for USED ones. I walked out laughing to say the least. Its funny because the same stock has been there for years. Except the current Panic AR "tacicool stuff".
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM

The Armory in Fresno seems like a great shop, I went in there to get my HCS and the staff there were cool dudes I would go there if I didn't live so far away..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Unfortunately, We the People Firearms in Clovis is closing. This was my favorite shop, the best customer service in the Central Valley along with excellent prices. I'm very disappointed to see this place go, I wouldn't trade these guys for any other shop and I've been to about 3/4 of the ones in the area.

I'm a good customer, the kinda guy that likes to go to the same store every time I need a gun or gun related item.

My PERSONAL no go list:
-Fresno Firearms- Bad customer service
-The Range- Bad prices, bad customer service(unless you walk in with a suit) and bull **** PPT practices
-Herb Bauer- Bad prices
-Prk- Bad prices

More than anything I need a place for internet transfers. Any recommendations in the Fresno/Clovis or even the Visalia area?
there are a couple of shops that I know of

DC ARMS in Lemoore CA - Dave Caine
Kings Gun Center in Hanford CA - Todd Cotta
Boyce Firearms in Hanford CA

Kings Gun Center is open for business but isn't doing any firearms sales yet until mid February the owner is awaiting his final permit from the state you can check out the website www.kingsguncenter.com or his facebook page http://www.facebook.com/kingsguncenter
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD_DOG View Post
there are a couple of shops that I know of

DC ARMS in Lemoore CA - Dave Caine
Kings Gun Center in Hanford CA - Todd Cotta
Boyce Firearms in Hanford CA

Kings Gun Center is open for business but isn't doing any firearms sales yet until mid February the owner is awaiting his final permit from the state you can check out the website www.kingsguncenter.com or his facebook page http://www.facebook.com/kingsguncenter
Any shops in particular that you recommend in the Hanford-Lemoore area?

I live in the eastern end of Fresno County so I wouldn't go all the way out there this time of the year to buy a gun but I do spend most of my summer out there in that area chasing bugs in cotton fields.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Any shops in particular that you recommend in the Hanford-Lemoore area?

I live in the eastern end of Fresno County so I wouldn't go all the way out there this time of the year to buy a gun but I do spend most of my summer out there in that area chasing bugs in cotton fields.
if Kings gun center had their final permit I would go there but you can try DC ARMS in Lemoore and there is also Hanford Arms.

but on a side note if it matters DC ARMS, BOYCE FIREARMS, & HANFORD ARMS are home based dealers they are good dudes.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokesdmb View Post
Funny how everyone is knocking herb Bauer. I bought a citori there for 1500 and a kimber for 800. Besides those tho they do have bad prices
it's not just their prices that are the problem... it's their attitudes too.

Quote:
Herb bauer is terrible. The employees remind me of government employees, always in a bad mood.
i made three separate trips there, at various times in the past, in my uninformed days, and before there were so many options in LGS's...none of those times would they even give me the time of day.
Old 01-31-2013, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_nobody View Post
it's not just their prices that are the problem... it's their attitudes too.

i made three separate trips there, at various times in the past, in my uninformed days, and before there were so many options in LGS's...none of those times would they even give me the time of day.
I wonder how they stay in business? They must keep the gun department just for the hell of it.
Old 01-31-2013, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wonder how they stay in business? They must keep the gun department just for the hell of it.
Because PLENTY of Old Money/Big Money Fresno types buy a LOT of guns from them...

These are not folks looking for a "deal"...they have $$ and have been buying all their guns there since they where kids.

I don't get it either but that is how they do it. Trust me, they are making $$$.
Old 01-31-2013, 6:43 PM

Central Valley Guns in Selma has a very nice staff.
The owner at Dinuba Firearms is very cordial as well. He is very interested in getting our youth into shooting.

American Firearms is great as well. I too think Tino is a standup guy.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:49 PM

I can vouch for Tino at American Firearms, sent my friends there too.
Old 02-09-2013, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Did a PPT at The Firing Line in Clovis today, great group of guys and gals.

With a range like that, I wont be setting foot at The (snob) Range Fresno ever again.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:03 PM

Kings Gun Center in Hanford CA is now fully licensed and can now do firearm sales, transfers, etc. their info is 559-696-9052 ask for Todd Cotta he is a really kool dude and really helpful give his shop a try you wont be disappointed. Tell him Ramon sent you.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 more for The Armory, was there yestarday. Will be doing my business there in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD_DOG View Post
Kings Gun Center in Hanford CA is now fully licensed and can now do firearm sales, transfers, etc. their info is 559-696-9052 ask for Todd Cotta he is a really kool dude and really helpful give his shop a try you wont be disappointed. Tell him Ramon sent you.
Thanks. Will check them out when I'm in that area.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Was just at Gilmay Guns. No reloading supplies, almost no guns for sale, and they were asking $199.99 for a beat to hell 91/30. $249.00 for a model 44 carbine. Other than that and the like, if i was looking a scope, pepper spray, or replacement grips, they might have been a go-to store.
Old 02-12-2013, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben View Post
Was just at Gilmay Guns. No reloading supplies, almost no guns for sale, and they were asking $199.99 for a beat to hell 91/30. $249.00 for a model 44 carbine. Other than that and the like, if i was looking a scope, pepper spray, or replacement grips, they might have been a go-to store.
I stopped in yesterday...you described it perfectly.

I may have said: "if i was looking a DUSTY scope, DUSTY pepper spray, or TRASHED replacement grips, they might have been a go-to store"

How do you get that much dust in the cases at a pretty new location? I guess you pay extra to move it from your old location.

Old 02-13-2013, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

A lot of stores are looking empty, I wonder how they stay in business?
Old 02-14-2013, 6:22 AM

Quote:
A lot of stores are looking empty, I wonder how they stay in business?
Marking up their products.

And when they get in a rifle, it probably sells within an hour.
Old 02-14-2013, 6:35 AM

Just a "heads up". Breco used to be my go-to shop. I was in there the other day, and they are selling everything at MSRP now. Until recently, they had very competitive prices, and now are pricing by the same "formula" as Herb Bauer. I'm looking for a new shop.

I understand the market and why prices are what they are, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't shop around. (I know at least one "kitchen table" FFL that prices 10% above his cost; at least he used to. I'll have to check in and see).

"I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away." - Barrack Hussein Obama, 2008 Presidential Campaign Speech

"It's a TRAP!" - Admiral Ackbar, Rebel Alliance
Old 02-14-2013, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

^^ Thanks for the heads up. I never had a chance to go there, with that info I don't see why I should waste my time going there either.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
^^ Thanks for the heads up. I never had a chance to go there, with that info I don't see why I should waste my time going there either.

Give them a shot. They may be selling at MSRP now (haven't confirmed that) but if they are you can bet other shops are selling at MSRP +. Rob the owner does not want to be known as the highest place in town and prices his stuff accordingly. They recently got 10 new ARs and sold them for way less than used ones go for here on CalGuns. They sold PMags for $25 when no other store had them and private guys were gouging at $40 and up.
I've been dealing with Breco over a year now and have nothing but good to say. From day 1 Rob treated me like an old friend and greets me by name whenever I go in. Check them out yourself before you write them off.
Old 02-20-2013, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone seen any Ruger LCR 357's in town?
Old 02-22-2013, 8:21 PM

Breco is a great shop. Fair prices(not increasing just because of the current gun climate) great staff.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM

I waited for 3 hours for Breco to do a ppt for me. They made us wait until they had no customers then talked with their friends until other customers came in. They are not ppt friendly. I just went to the armory yesterday and they are definitely my new gun shop. Great customer service.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

WHere in the Fresno/Clovis area can I find some .380?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert060907 View Post
I waited for 3 hours for Breco to do a ppt for me. They made us wait until they had no customers then talked with their friends until other customers came in. They are not ppt friendly. I just went to the armory yesterday and they are definitely my new gun shop. Great customer service.
My new go to gun shop as well, I was there Thursday pickin up my new LCP.
Old 02-24-2013, 4:14 PM

Does Ammo dogs have a b&m store or just online? If so where is it?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcarp View Post
Does Ammo dogs have a b&m store or just online? If so where is it?
Its behind the range pistol club, same street as the CHP office.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 for Armory. I would go back to Ammo Dogs IF they have anything in stock. They HAD a TRP Black Gun coat I WISH I purchased.
Old 03-19-2013, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredridge View Post
I was thinking a handgun would be best for her.

Something with a laser, point and shoot. Home defense
Havent looked at it in person, but if you can find an S&W BG380 BodyGuard in CA it has a built in laser, and is about the size of the Ruger LCP..
Old 03-19-2013, 8:51 AM

Here in Hanford we have a good shop, just started up the beginning of the year, owned/run/staffed by good people:
Kings Gun Center
http://www.kingsguncenter.com/
Old 03-19-2013, 9:06 AM
Banned

Herb Bauers-good assortment of guns and sporting goods,
customer service, well, if some of the salesmen look up on a rainey day they'de drown,
Gilmay Firearms, formerly Gilman-Mayfield are very cool guys, very reasonable gunsmithing $$ stand behind their work (well I guess you shouldn't stand in front of a gun...),
Monique at Spencers is worth a trip to the shop just to stare at her a little,
you can contact Dennis Forleo in oakhurst for a FFL transfer, believe he charges $70, guns are now taxed also (criminals in Sacto)