Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-21-2013, 7:36 PM

Default Hornady critical defense...

Thoughts on this hollow point for home defense?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-21-2013, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

expensive but very good

My cop buddy recommended it to me

Old 02-21-2013, 8:18 PM
Banned

I am using them in 9mm for HD after reading all of the articles on them. I'm sure they will work fine.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:36 PM

Sheriff buddy recommended them to me as well. 9mm & 40cal here.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Are you sure your LEO friends aren't recommending Critical Duty and not Critical Defense?

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-21-2013, 8:41 PM

I built a false wall with drywall on both sides as a target & put 8 wet phone books behind it. Shot it with this hornady round in 45 at about 6-7 yards. I recovered the bullet in the last phone book with zero expansion. It was so perfect I could reload it & shoot it again. I've taken pictures and will be emailing hornady about this.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Are you sure your LEO friends aren't recommending Critical Duty and not Critical Defense?
Oops on my end, I'm using Critical Duty. Sorry to the OP and members here, my bad. But, I think the Duty and Defense lines are pretty much the same?

Last edited by desertexplore; 02-22-2013 at 1:00 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I use PDX-1's in all my handguns.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-21-2013, 9:29 PM

Assault Bullits !!!!

On a more serious note its good stuff the Bullet is great for Self-Defense and the rest of the components are well made and reliable.
Nearly reach the sky
Old 02-21-2013, 9:48 PM

May have to use FMJ in San Francisco, they are trying to ban hollow point ammo. They say it is military ammo even though the military can not use hollow point ammo. What is this state doing to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy777 View Post
I built a false wall with drywall on both sides as a target & put 8 wet phone books behind it. Shot it with this hornady round in 45 at about 6-7 yards. I recovered the bullet in the last phone book with zero expansion. It was so perfect I could reload it & shoot it again. I've taken pictures and will be emailing hornady about this.
Um, duh? What did you expect to happen when the hollow point got filled up with drywall?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reductio View Post
Um, duh? What did you expect to happen when the hollow point got filled up with drywall?
Its designed with a polymer "flex tip" that is supposed to prevent the cavity from getting clogged when going through barriers. Its inly supposed to deform in tissue or media that simulates tissue like ballistics gel.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM

Did pretty good in this guy's gel test (one my favorite youtube gun channels, BTW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOV3MJI1FU

I actually keep this load in my G35 in my nightstand. Less because I think it's the ultimate SD round, but rather, because it was what Turner's had in stock behind the counter when I walked in a few months ago.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertexplore View Post
Oops on my end, I'm using Critical Duty. Sorry to the OP and members here, my bad. But, I think the Duty and Defense lines are pretty much the same.
I believe Critical Defense expands rapidly and is therefore better for less penetration through interior walls and resulting collateral damage. Critical Duty expands slowly allowing better penetration through walls, car doors, and windshields. They are very different.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe Critical Defense expands rapidly and is therefore better for less penetration through interior walls and resulting collateral damage. Critical Duty expands slowly allowing better penetration through walls, car doors, and windshields. They are very different.
Hmmm... I got my Critical Duty for free, 2 boxes. I assumed it's good enough for HD, Hope I didnt pick the wrong HD ammo.

ADD- Looks like I am going to get my answer here from Hornady- The difference between Critical DUTY® & Critical DEFENSE®

Last edited by desertexplore; 02-22-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 1:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hmmm... I got my Critical Duty for free, 2 boxes. I assumed it's good enough for HD, Hope I didnt pick the wrong HD ammo.

ADD- Looks like I am going to get my answer here from Hornady- The difference between Critical DUTY® & Critical DEFENSE®
You should be fine unless you live in an apartment, condo, small lot home, or if you have kids or other relatives living in the house. You wouldn't want Critical Duty going through too many walls and hurting an innocent.

Old 02-22-2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy777 View Post
People arent made of paper, try ballistic gellatin and report back...
Old 02-22-2013, 2:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
You should be fine unless you live in an apartment, condo, small lot home, or if you have kids or other relatives living in the house. You wouldn't want Critical Duty going through too many walls and hurting an innocent.
Exactly what I was thinking as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2013, 4:33 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis590A1 View Post
I use PDX-1's in all my handguns.
So do I, but I've seen a few videos of the tip getting clogged with clothing/denim, preventing expansion. I too have been thinking about Critical Defense, or Zombie Max, just a different colored tip.

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 02-22-2013, 5:23 AM

I'm happy with the buck ammo I buy at Wal-Mart for home defense;
Remington or Federal 115gr JHP for my 9mm's
Remington 125 JHPs for my 357 Magnums’
Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ in my 45 Autos
I doubt if any evil doer would be able to tell me the difference between bulk and premium ammo.

Cheers,
W-W

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

I have Critical Defense and Gold dots staggered in my 1911 and glock 20. I Like the Critical Defense rounds becuase they feed better in my 1911 and they don't get clogged up with clothing if you're forced to use em in defense.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 02-22-2013, 2:39 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weasel View Post
I'm happy with the buck ammo I buy at Wal-Mart for home defense;
Remington or Federal 115gr JHP for my 9mm's
Remington 125 JHPs for my 357 Magnums’
Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ in my 45 Autos
I doubt if any evil doer would be able to tell me the difference between bulk and premium ammo.
Whoa there, there is a HUGE difference in the terminal performance when you go from FMJ bulk ammo to a purpose-built defense load.

A FMJ bullet is built to punch clean holes in paper, while not fouling your gun or the range with excessive lead. This design also causes the bullet to punch through drywall, clothing, and flesh and keep going. Can you say "innocent bystander"?

A self defense or home defense JHP is designed to hit the same materials and rapidly expand, thus expending all of its energy in a target or obstacle. This creates huge wound channels and prevents the round from over penetrating and hitting other objects. Fewer unintended consequences.

That being said, I'd rather not be shot with a JHP or a FMJ
Old 02-22-2013, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But, I think the Duty and Defense lines are pretty much the same?
No. Critical Defense is designed for reliable expansion in tissue, after penetrating clothing. (The hollow points don't clog with clothing because of the little rubber widget.)

Critical Duty is designed for the FBI penetration tests, i.e., at least 12 inches of penetration in gel after passing through glass/wood/wallboard/etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a fan of Speer Gold Dot's in my 1911 for home, and Buffalo Bore .38+P LSWCHP in my carry gun.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I want to have one of those bullets..

"its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM

I keep Critical Defense loaded in .40 and emptied a magazine-full into a watermelon once. All rounds cycled through the gun flawlessly.

The watermelon didn't make it.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
Haha, funny, thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
I keep Critical Defense loaded in .40 and emptied a magazine-full into a watermelon once. All rounds cycled through the gun flawlessly.

Sounds like Critical Defense would be perfect for defending yourself against Vegans!
Old 02-23-2013, 1:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I keep my Critical Defense in my spare mag on my HD gun.

Only reason it isn't in the gun is that I like my Remington 124gr +P JHP a little better
Old 02-23-2013, 2:11 PM

Everything I've read about critical defense seems like a gimmick. It doesn't pass FBI protocols and it seems like they somehow turned that around into a selling point for home defense. If I'm trusting an ammo to protect myself & my family I'm sticking with what's been field tested and reliable. Critical defense had a history of FTF's and any ammo that slaps a different coloured plug and says it's for zombies pretty much confirms to me it's a joke.
Old 02-23-2013, 3:10 PM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

Here's a good but $$$ suggestion.

Any round you buy for HD should cycle reliably thru your firearm. As a test you should run 100 rounds thru your gun and not have any problems other than draining your wallet. In a HD situation you don't want your firearm to get finicky with your selected ammo.
Old 02-23-2013, 3:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatoiry View Post
Everything I've read about critical defense seems like a gimmick. It doesn't pass FBI protocols and it seems like they somehow turned that around into a selling point for home defense. If I'm trusting an ammo to protect myself & my family I'm sticking with what's been field tested and reliable. Critical defense had a history of FTF's and any ammo that slaps a different coloured plug and says it's for zombies pretty much confirms to me it's a joke.
Interesting posting and a good read. Can you please give me more info on the ammo failing the FBI trails? It would help me out as the topic is very interesting to me. Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 5:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatoiry View Post
About the FTFs, I've had one when inserting a mag forcefully in my M&P with the slide open. Repeated it many times without an issue and never had a FTF other than that.

Quote:
Interesting posting and a good read. Can you please give me more info on the ammo failing the FBI trails? It would help me out as the topic is very interesting to me. Thanks
From earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Critical Duty is designed for the FBI penetration tests, i.e., at least 12 inches of penetration in gel after passing through glass/wood/wallboard/etc.

Last edited by vliberatore; 02-23-2013 at 5:15 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1983 View Post
Thoughts on this hollow point for home defense?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
good round, as long as your gun feeds it, my Sig 1911 hates them but loves Golden Saber
Old 02-23-2013, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Critical Defense was designed to be a civilian self defense round. If you want maximum expansion you get CD. If you want barrier penetration then get Critical Duty or some other brand designed for that. Don't compare apples to oranges. Any round that passes the FBI test will by design be harder and expand less. I don't plan on having to shoot through car windshields very often.
Old 02-24-2013, 1:30 AM
Banned

I got 2 boxes of Duty for free and funny thing now is I probably couldn't find the Defense rounds anywhere in Nor Cal. Since I'm stuck with them, I'm sure the Defense would will work fine in my P226 and Glock 17 if needed. I do like the heavier 135 grain bullet better as well.

Thanks for this thread topic. I know it's a boring topic for some, but I love talking various JHP ammo and performance.