Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-15-2013, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Question Stoeger O/U - any good

I have recently just purchased my first shotgun (pump) but have always wanted an over & under for clay. Was shopping around for an affordable option and saw a NEW Stoeger for about $380 +tax and DROS. They were too busy at the LGS to help me so I walked away to do some research on the net.

Are the Stoegers any good?
Does it handle well?
Are they reliable?
Any issues with warranty and availability of parts?
Is there anything I should look out for instead?

For the money, seems like a hell of a deal for a new shotgun. I don't want to dump a ton of cash on a shotgun hence the appeal of the Stoeger. Not sure if I will be shooting clay a lot. Knowing me, the bug will bite and I will be out there as much as possible.

Any insight would be great.

Cheers, Jet
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9

Last edited by Jet Setter; 02-24-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 1:51 PM

They are pretty good bang for the buck. They are made in Turkey. My brother has a stoeger sxs and it has never had an issue in the 10 years he has had it.
I have a Mossberg Onyx Reserve SxS (I think they are all made in Turkey), and it is good to go as well.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 02-15-2013, 1:57 PM

can't comment on the stoeger but my uncle just bought a mossberg maverick over/under for around that same price. Its a pretty nice gun for the money. He bought it just to skeet at big 5. Watch the ads as they go on sale from time to time.
Old 02-15-2013, 2:15 PM

wife won one at du dinner. i have a browning and a ruger red label, no comparison. but 400.00 vs 1400.00 ?
Old 02-15-2013, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. That is good to know.

I will check out he Maverick as well. Seems like that would also work out well.

I do realise that if I REALLY get into the sport, I will eventually upgrade to a much nicer set up. Just don't want to dump the money right away. As TROYSD said, there really is no comparison to the Browning or Red Label but it is a third of the price.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 02-15-2013, 2:25 PM

I don't own one but I get to shoot a 20 gauge on a regular basis.

It works great for trap.
Old 02-15-2013, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

You can get a lot of gun for the money if you go semi-auto instead of O/U.

Likewise, you don't NEED and O/U just to play clay games.
Old 02-15-2013, 2:40 PM

My father has a Stoeger Condor O/U, made in Brazil.

It's a miserable POS in my opinion. It may be the best in it's price range, but that doesn't say much.

It has jammed/stuck multiple times for multiple reasons on both of us. That's certainly not because of a lack of maintenence because he is anal about that. I, on the other hand, can't remember when I cleaned my Beretta last, and it runs like a top, albeit a $2k one.

The Stoeger is heavy, and if you get the 20ga it isn't much lighter because they use the same receiver.

There are a lot of people that want O/U's because they think they are cool/classy/gentlemanly/gucci/whatever. If you like the fit and function of one, either buy new or used, but buy a quality gun. You CAN tell the difference.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring 뱈eat for the tribe. It should be noted it뭩 a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 02-15-2013, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

I will be checking them out this weekend to get a feel for it and check the weight. I am just doing the research at the moment and will be at least a few weeks until I settle on one.

I grew up in a country where SxS or O/U shotguns are the norm in almost every household. My brother and cousin competed almost every week with either a SxS or an O/U. I have always wanted my own. The huge plus for me is getting into clay/skeet. I have convinced a friend or two to do it with me. Looking forward to getting to the field.

Thanks again for the advice and input.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 02-15-2013, 3:48 PM

With o/u's you get what you pay for, and you're not paying very much for that gun. As was said earlier, if that's all the money you can afford right now, you'd be better off with a used semiauto.
Old 02-15-2013, 3:57 PM

I have one that broke firing pins on a regular basis for the first 2 years I owned it- it spent more time in the custody of UPS than in my safe. They supposedly put in a redesigned pins in it the last time and I've had zero issues for the last 3 years.

Good utility gun to loan the brother-in-law; shoots well and you won't want to break out the body burying shovel if it gets scratched.
Old 02-15-2013, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dick View Post
With o/u's you get what you pay for, and you're not paying very much for that gun. As was said earlier, if that's all the money you can afford right now, you'd be better off with a used semiauto.
^^^^^^^^ +1
Old 02-15-2013, 9:07 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
I will be checking them out this weekend to get a feel for it and check the weight. I am just doing the research at the moment and will be at least a few weeks until I settle on one.

I grew up in a country where SxS or O/U shotguns are the norm in almost every household. My brother and cousin competed almost every week with either a SxS or an O/U. I have always wanted my own. The huge plus for me is getting into clay/skeet. I have convinced a friend or two to do it with me. Looking forward to getting to the field.

Thanks again for the advice and input.
They aren't great man, honestly. You get what you pay for, and they aren't awesome. You can get an entry level browning for $1400, and can get it even cheaper if you buy used. My advice is, hold off, rent from the range, and save up a bit
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 02-15-2013, 9:38 PM

I've have a Stoeger 2000 semi auto for the last twelve years and have shot the hell out of it with absolutely no problems, I almost expect something to go wrong with it because I hammer the thing! Don't even clean it like I should, my particular shotgun is identical to the Benelli, patented inertia action and all the parts are interchangeable, still don't understand what's up with that, I use it for Ducks, Turkey, and Dove, love it!

Last edited by Don@Tahoe; 02-15-2013 at 9:46 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

What would be he next step up from the Stoeger? It seems that there are the $400 rifles but nothing between them and the $1100 rifles.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 02-16-2013, 6:14 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Read a lot over on ShotgunWorld forum before buying, and it really makes a difference to at least hold and point different guns before you buy. Just pointing a Beretta 686 was a completely different feeling from the Browning 725. I wouldn't recommend buying anything sight-unseen.

In the budget class under $1500, the CZ O/Us seem to be decent. They don't have the perfect fit and finish of the expensive guns, but they seem to be more reliable than the other cheap guns like the Stoegers and Mossbergs
Old 02-16-2013, 6:45 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
I've have a Stoeger 2000 semi auto for the last twelve years and have shot the hell out of it with absolutely no problems, I almost expect something to go wrong with it because I hammer the thing! Don't even clean it like I should, my particular shotgun is identical to the Benelli, patented inertia action and all the parts are interchangeable, still don't understand what's up with that, I use it for Ducks, Turkey, and Dove, love it!
I have heard similar things but no first hand experience. Instead of focusing on a particular gun b/c of price focus on fit. If it doesn't fit you right it will be tougher to hit your target. At least that's my experience in shooting birds with shotguns for the last 20 years.
FS NIB Browning A5 12 gauge - $1,000 (over $500 off retail)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1201509
Old 02-16-2013, 7:36 AM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
Read a lot over on ShotgunWorld forum before buying, and it really makes a difference to at least hold and point different guns before you buy. Just pointing a Beretta 686 was a completely different feeling from the Browning 725. I wouldn't recommend buying anything sight-unseen.

In the budget class under $1500, the CZ O/Us seem to be decent. They don't have the perfect fit and finish of the expensive guns, but they seem to be more reliable than the other cheap guns like the Stoegers and Mossbergs
The 725 sucks, the 625 or the beretta 686 are the best in the sub $3500 class. The CZ or Ruger red label are good options for a low budget O/U
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, all, for the advice. I will check out the other forums for more reviews. I guess i will be holding off for a better shotgun.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 02-16-2013, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, I will agree on many levels that with O/U's you get what you pay for. That said, I OWN a Stoeger Condor O/U. I bought it for my wife. .410. Barrels are bored out to skeet/skeet. I can tell you that it has been an AMAZING little gun. I think I enjoy it more than she does. It's just so much fun. We've never had any issues, and it's always operated very well. Even better? It was cheap. My wife's not huge into skeet shooting, and I wanted something to break her in. This was that gun.

Me? I'd say buy one. There's nothing wrong with having a large quiver for your shotguns. I've got an Ithaca 16 ga sxs, Benelli 12 ga M2 Field Comfortech, Beretta 682 12 ga, the Stoeger, and a Mossberg 500 12 ga tacticool. If I could fit more in my safe, I would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by GunninIt; 02-16-2013 at 4:10 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

You don't have to worry (so much) about buying a gun that fits you if you plan on having the gun fit TO you after you buy it. Shim kits and wood stocks make it easier on a stock fitter.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunninIt View Post
Well, I will agree on many levels that with O/U's you get what you pay for. That said, I OWN a Stoeger Condor O/U. I bought it for my wife. .410. Barrels are bored out to skeet/skeet. I can tell you that it has been an AMAZING little gun. I think I enjoy it more than she does. It's just so much fun. We've never had any issues, and it's always operated very well. Even better? It was cheap. My wife's not huge into skeet shooting, and I wanted something to break her in. This was that gun.

Me? I'd say buy one. There's nothing wrong with having a large quiver for your shotguns. I've got an Ithaca 16 ga sxs, Benelli 12 ga M2 Field Comfortech, Beretta 682 12 ga, the Stoeger, and a Mossberg 500 12 ga tacticool. If I could fit more in my safe, I would.

Definitely. I figured that I would end up with a few shottys in my safe. I will probably end up with one as it would be a great "friend" gun when I take someone with me to shoot. As you said, might be a great way to break my wife into the sport to see if she would like it.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM

I have a stoeger sxs. Only shot it once tho. So far so good. Definitely not the nicest shotty you can get but seems to work well for the price.
Old 02-19-2013, 5:43 AM

I've owned a Stoeger Condor O/U for the last 3 years. Bought it for $315 out the door including dros and tax. No issues at all in functionality. On the downside, it wants to rust if the humidity is over 10%. The stock scratches when touched, and the metal underneath the hinge point could be used to shave with it is so sharp. Still, I like the fact that it uses the same chokes as my Mossberg so I can use my extended chokes in it, and it is the only one I bring to clay games.

They are made in Brazil, not turkey.
Old 02-19-2013, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

For a "low end" shotgun they're not bad.

A buddy of mine had one, and it broke springs and firing pins, but he shot it a lot. Maybe a couple hundred rounds per month, for a couple of years before he retired it.
Old 02-19-2013, 6:24 AM

I have a 28 g SxS Stoeger. I use it primary for hunting so it sits in my safe 10 months out of the year. It works great, but when I hold it, it "feels" cheap to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. I really have to do my research. Definitely some great information. Thank you for the feedback. I will be shooting my 870 until I find a O/U.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 02-22-2013, 5:35 AM

I have heard good stuff about Yildiz... another Turkish brand. Good value for such a cheaply priced O/U. The problem is Academy, the sole U.S. distributor will not ship out of state to your FFL.

When I was looking for a budget O/U. I came to the conclusion for the sub $750 price range your choices are very limited for a decent O/U:

Yildiz (from Turkey)
Lanber (from Spain)

While fit and finish isn't great. Yildiz tends to have a slightly better fit and finish than Lanber. And they're not very pretty. You're buying only functionality at this price point.

With any shotgun, you should really hold it in your hands and see how it fits you. How you like the balance, how it swings, etc. Yildiz and Lanbers are very hard to find in California... most likely you'll have to purchase it over the internet.

Or if you don't like it, you can always sell it to me

Last edited by Nosynchro; 02-22-2013 at 5:59 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 7:25 AM

Nosynchro's advice on the Lanber is probably the best in this thread, with the possible exception of the advice to look at a semi instead of an O/U for someone who is concerned about cost. CDNN Investments consistently has the best possible prices on Lanbers and though they cost a couple hundred dollars more than the Stoeger, they are worlds way in terms of fit, finish and overall quality, especially the sporting models. Lanbers have a 3 year warranty, if I remember correctly. I owned a Sporting Lux at one time and sold it only because it didn't fit me particularly well. The Lanber should hold up pretty well against high volume shooting. Not so with the budget Turkish shotguns like the offerings by Mossberg and others. I have heard of quality Turkish shotguns but have as yet to actually see such a thing.

As another budget minded shotgun shooter, I would highly recommend you look for something like a used 1100 on line. In 12 gauge, you can often find them for $450.00 to $500.00 on Gunbroker. My 12 gauge 1100 cost me $500.00, and my LT 20 in unfired condition cost only fifty bucks more. These are shotguns you can go out and shoot 100 to 200 rounds every week on the skeet or trap field, and they will likely still be going strong 20 years down the road.

P.S. by the way, experienced shotgunners don't call the firearm a "shotty". "Shotty" is what video gamers call them and you can expect to be not taken very seriously if you make the mistake of calling your firearm a, "shotty", on the skeet field.

Last edited by beammeupscotty; 02-22-2013 at 7:28 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 7:24 AM

Beammeupscotty +1 on the alternate choice: a semi-automatic. You can find a lot of quality 2nd hand semi-automatic shotguns on the market.

The Remington 1100 is a great recommendation. Good price, it will last forever.

I wanted to purchase a Beretta A300 Outlander, reviewers say it's better than the older Beretta 3901. But then I found out about the Beretta AL391 Urika, really love the balance and it fits me quite well. I found one on here, promptly purchased it. Thanks Calguns!
Old 03-24-2013, 7:40 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Beretta owns Stoeger. Not sure when they bought them tho.

Old 03-25-2013, 5:38 PM

I've been shootin' a Stoeger Uplander sxs, in 20 ga for the last two years for dove, after using a 12 ga semi auto.....the Stoeger is good for the $$, and much easier than the 12 ga on the shoulder....surprised me for sure !!! Only problem I had were with some 20 ga shells that had a HEAVY FACTORY CRIMP...were hard to chamber....would not even chamber in my wife's 20 ga semi-auto.....ended up feedin the remainder of that lot through a pump.....for the $$$ Stoeger is a buy in my opinion....and yes it stinks likes everyone else's
Old 03-25-2013, 6:04 PM

I will say I do not own one of their doubles shotguns,but two of their auto loaders.They are very reliable,fast operating and light to carry.Warranty issues none.Broke a bead off the front of one and had kind of a hassle finding where to order from the factory so I gave up and bought a aftermarket.I have recommended them to friends and they have grown to like theirs alot.
Being not familiar with the over under,my only advise is to make sure it has ejectors if you think you will want them in the future.
Most inexpensive over unders and side by sides for that matter have extractors only.I have been in gunshops where people bring new guns back that they are upset they were extractor only.For trap I would prefer extractor,but NOT hunting.
I believe Stoegers are life time warranty still under the parent company of Beretta.The semi auto actions are Turkish copies of Benelli.I am not saying they are Benelli.No one has told me either that Benelli is not using Turkish parts.
My over unders are Browning and cough Ruger.Love the Citori.The Ruger is a long story since new.I would not do that again.
The local gunshop here has a CZ Light that is a pretty nice gun for the money as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 2:17 PM

Junk!!! Don't buy it...
Old 04-09-2013, 7:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedst View Post
Junk!!! Don't buy it...
Wow. So helpful.

Old 04-09-2013, 7:53 PM

You're gonna get a lot of negative replies because Calguns is full of "Mall Ninja Fan Boys" Who believe that if it's not expensive then it's a POS. If you want honest advise go to a shotgun specific forum like shotgunworld.com
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

Last edited by FEMUN; 04-09-2013 at 7:56 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 7:59 PM

Tristar also makes a nice shotgun at a reasonable price.
http://www.tristararms.com/
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEMUN View Post
Tristar also makes a nice shotgun at a reasonable price.
http://www.tristararms.com/
I was looking at these also. They are really nice. My only gripe is the LGS that carries them only sell them in a 26" barrel. I much prefer a 28" barrel. For the money, they seem very nice with a lot of extras. Wish I could find a CZ locally. I hear they are great.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEMUN View Post
You're gonna get a lot of negative replies because Calguns is full of "Mall Ninja Fan Boys" Who believe that if it's not expensive then it's a POS. If you want honest advise go to a shotgun specific forum like shotgunworld.com
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php
Thank you. I will check them out.
GP100 6" stainless

Old 05-30-2013, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Stoeger Over & Unders are actually made in Brazil. I had a 12 ga Condor Competition, Condor 20 ga, Upland Side by side 20 ga and a Condor .410. The Stoeger 20 ga seem to be the best made quality wise. Stoegers are a good buy for the money..... But compared to Brownings and Berettas they are quite heavy. If you try a Browning or Beretta you will not be happy with the Stoeger. I have fired thousands of rounds in my Stoegers and there were 2 small issues. #1 you can't shoot Remington shells at least in the 12 gauge. Lots of misfires and I called the factory and they told me not to use Remingtons in a Stoeger. The #2 issues were small cracks in the but stock of one 20 gauge and the .410. Stoeger fixed both at no charge. They were over tightening the stock with dried wood. Then when the guns experienced humidity they swell causing the crack. I went to Beretta & Browning and only have the .410 Stoeger. "Good Luck"