Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-03-2013, 9:21 PM

Default Wanting to get into Compound bows. Need Guidance.

Hey all,

With all this AWB talk, and ammo being impossible to find, I think its time for me to get back into bows. This is mainly for skill development. I'll most likely never hunt just target shoot, unless the SHTF, I want to be able to provide for my family.

I shot recurve a lot when I was younger but haven't touched a bow since I was 14 and I know nothing about compound bows.

I don't really know where to start or what to get. My budget for the bow is $300, and $300 for arrows, sights, rest, accessories.

I know my pull weight is approx 60 lbs, but I feel I can get more. I know that my length of pull will have to be adjusted when I buy the bow at the store, and will probably get arrows outfitted there also.

Any thoughts on this bow?
http://www.basspro.com/Bear-Archery-...2040405003817/

or save up a little more for

http://www.basspro.com/PSE-Archery-B...uct/261898980/

I do live near several archery ranges, and do have access to family land to practice on.

Any recommendations, links, advice, are very welcome.

Thank you.

Email, mail a letter, expressing a formal sincere concern about your 2nd amendment rights to your local representative, senator, congressman, mayor, etc...

The voice of one will become the voice of many. Public pressure will force legislation.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 PM

I've tried $800-$1100 bows that I didn't like, and $300 bows that I've loved.

You can set yourself up nicely with your budget, but in my experience you really need to try them out.

Btw - don't kid yourself. Archery gets more expensive than guns really quick lol.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM

what is your draw length...I have a compound that is about 30 inches ill let go for cheap to you
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Craigslist
Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 PM

The reasonable Diamond bow Basspro sells will work fine.My first bow was a used Basspro made by Parker.It has killed 3 elk so far and a few coyotes.
Another to look at is a Mission,by Matthews,maybe down at Riverside Archery.
I spent a little more,well alot more last year and got a PSE Axe.I am small with a draw length of 27.5" and pull the PSE at 70lbs.It is so much faster,so my pins can be closer together.The Parker will drive a 430gr total weight arrow,clear through a elk broadside at 20-40 yds and brake ribs on the opposite side.The PSE,WELL,it will drive the same weight arrow almost from front to back,after braking ribs on my side.They both raise hell with a 600lb plus animal though.The Parker is a little smoother draw,and real easy to shoot.
If you get down to Riverside Archery,it is family ran.If is slow like in the middle of the week,they will try and help you alot.
I buy from the little Hi Desert Archery shop on Arrowhead Lake rd behind Hesperia Lakes as well.He is open evenings and on Saturday.He will help you alot also.
Try as many as you can.Bows are kind of a more personal preference than say guns.And plan on spending some time with a knowledgable person setting and tuning to you.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:52 AM

Craigslist is tough to find reasonable prices....

The absolute best place to find a reasonably priced used bow is ArcheryTalk.com Go to their classifieds.

I reccommend a single cam bow for a starter. I'm a Mathews guy but there are several good bows on the market.

Any big manufacturer bow made in the last 5 years will be plenty fast enough to put down any game in the states.

I still believe the best hunting bow ever made was Mathews Switchback XT. It has been discontinued for a few years but it is a fantastic fantastic bow.

You should be able to find a bow with a decent set up for under 500 if you look.

Bows do not hold their value very well so buying used is a great way to maximize your investment. Don't buy new from Bass Pro unless you are one of those types that have to buy new.

You first need to know your draw length and find a good bowshop that will help you through issues like string swaps and upgrading. MJB says below go shoot them...thats pretty much a good way to begin as well.

Last edited by jmonte35; 02-04-2013 at 6:57 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 6:54 AM
CGSSA Associate

A good bow shop is priceless. Shoot them all in all price ranges then go from there.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tagged for interest and to find a good bow shop Ventura or LA County.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 02-04-2013, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

There are lots of good deals out there for compounds and crossbows...

Go to a local range and some shops to try out and get data on bows from sales folks and others with knowledge.

Craigslist is good once you have some idea of what you want.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-04-2013, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Cant see the bows in your link. Basspro removed them, must be onthe AWB list too.

Anyways, Bear is a good brand and PSE is a good brand. The most important is go shoot them and see if you like them. Some kick harder, vibrate more, etc. Short brace usually kicks harder and are a bit harder to control (accuracywise), longer is easier but you loose some fps. Aggresive cams requires a bit more to pull. It all depends on what you are comfortable with.

I have Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, Bear... all great bows. I take my Bear hunting all the time, but its because its my lucky bow. haha. Anyways, good luck and have fun spending more then what you intend to spend.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM

When I got into bows, this is only about a year or two ago, I was able to find a used PSE X-Force, fully loaded, for $400 on craigslist. The same package with all new accessories would have cost at least $1500. So I would recommend used off craigslist. And PSE X-Force is the fastest bow out there, I've been very happy with it.
Old 02-14-2013, 4:30 PM

I've got a left handed bow I can let go for a decent price. I injured my shoulder and wrist so need to sell it.
Old 02-14-2013, 4:38 PM

The lesson that I learned after buying my Diamond Core at BPS is to not buy a package bow. I ended up replacing the sight, arrow rest and stabilizer about a month into the sport.

Take the time and opportunity to try several at the local archery shop or BPS.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:02 PM

I'm in the same boat. I own a recurve 45# looking for a compound bow. Can some own list some good bows that might go from $200 to $300 used?
Old 02-14-2013, 5:12 PM

check this out.
http://monterey.craigslist.org/spo/3608528261.html
Old 02-14-2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragweed View Post
See craigslist
Old 02-15-2013, 7:17 AM
CGSSA Associate

You really have to shoot all the bows you can before you buy. All bows have a different feel when you draw, the drop off, when you hit the wall and last how it feels on the release. Once you start shooting at the archery shop you'll feel the difference and your decision will become easier to find the right bow for you.

Then hit archerytalk and get the bow used. Then take it to the local shop you liked the most and get the rest of your accessories there. That way you spend a little love at your local shop where you will be spending more money in the future.

Oh yea join CBH you won't regret it! They keep you up to date on issues and fight for more hunting in our state than any org archery or not. Plus the state broadhead shoot is at Tejon again this year. The week before they have a pig hunt on Tejon for members.
http://www.cbhsaa.net/
Old 02-15-2013, 8:03 AM

There is really no reason to shoot more than 60lbs in North America. Most people are "over-bowed" in the USA. A 45lb is enough to drop a deer, so by extension 60lbs is plenty. I recommend not to go more than this, as it can cause weirdness/shakiness in your draw (due to using the wrong muscles, "horsing it", etc.) that you do not want.

I own recurves and compounds, and I love them all, but these are two different species. For recurves, you can find old Bears and Damon Howatts on EBay for decent prices, and there are many new makes of high quality (check out Three Rivers Archery - http://www.3riversarchery.com/).

The point made above about not buying a "kit/package"... I agree.

The point made above about draw length is crucial. You need to accurately measure the distance from where the riser meets the heel of your palm to the eye tooth on the opposite side of your body (or wherever your anchor point is... tho' I do recommend either the side of your nose or that eye tooth). The best way to get this measured accurately is to go to a bow store and have it measured ... what part of CA do you call home? There are a few good archery places in the Bay Area, one or two in LA, etc.

As for brands, the comment above that most compound bows made in the last 5 years are going to be good-to-go is sound. I own an Elite and a Newtech, but Matthews are excellent, and there are other brands that are great as well.

Also, you say you used to own a recurve. If "60lbs" refers to a recurve, well then, you are a monster, and no commercially-available bow is going to present a problem. Methinks you probably meant 60lbs for compound (my compound bows are 60 and 65lbs).

Finally, please allow me to make a plug for a target bow. I own a 25lb Sebastien Flute Forged riser with a few sets of limbs (one set gives me a 25lb bow at my draw, another set gives me a 45lb bow at my draw). These bows are accurate, will teach you how to be a true archer (correct form, aiming, etc.), will build your musculature correctly, break down small, and are a hoot to shoot.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get linked up with a good archery shop and let them help you.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Location? There is a good archery place in Newark, Archery only. I have a Bear, that I bought 5 or so years ago for somewhere in that price range and I love it. You might want to check out the Fred Bear bows.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 02-15-2013, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by em9sredbeam View Post
Location? There is a good archery place in Newark, Archery only. I have a Bear, that I bought 5 or so years ago for somewhere in that price range and I love it. You might want to check out the Fred Bear bows.
Coincidentally, I was just there today getting reintroduced to my archery equipment and having them check everything over and fit me out for hunting pigs.

Excellent service and knowledge.
Old 02-15-2013, 5:25 PM

Archery only rocks! Those guys are very knowledgeable and provide great service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-15-2013, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Try bouncing in your local archery shot and see what they have used. Thats what i did with my last bow and although its really outdated i got a great deal and they set me up and tuned it for me and all that and gave me a lot of pointers.
Old 02-15-2013, 9:43 PM

Lot's of good info here. I would also reccomend visiting a good shop and spend some time shooting various bows. Also, reccomend a 60# single cam bow, it will do it all. A 7" brace height will be forgiving and make shooting the bow almost effortless. Welcome to a new addiction!