Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-11-2013, 9:32 PM

Question Figuring out which sport I can participate in?

I'm trying to figure out how the whole sport shooting scene actually works. Where does one even start with this? I'd like to shoot my primary rifle (AR15), but how does one decide what sport would best fit their build (as opposed to building for a sport)?

I'm shooting a scoped AR-15 with 18" barrel. I primarily shoot paper from a bench with the intention of accuracy and as many bullets through a single hole as possible, but do get out into some hilly land and shoot around as well, though I prefer the bench shooting. Located in NorCal in Contra Cost County, and typically shoot at USI in Concord. I'd think region probably comes into play a bit. I haven't done any bench shooting beyond the standard 100 yard, though I'll probably be looking around to find ranges that offer something further to members of the public. Any nearby suggestions on that issue would also be welcome.

I'm just trying to expand upon this hobby that I love so much, and at least start researching a direction to start preparing for to ease my competitive nature. Any resources, suggestions, advice, or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like you would like metallic silhouette.
Feb 24th at USI. Just show up and hang out.
http://diablorodandgun.com/wp-conten...Newsletter.pdf

First sunday at Chabot.
http://www.chabotgunclub.com/
Old 02-12-2013, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Bear in mind that to compete at USI, you have to be a member of one of the 5 clubs out there..
Old 02-12-2013, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

NCPPRC (located in Sacramento) leads the way in long range shooting.

They have a steel match (CLICK HERE), and also a "long range clinic" which they hold yearly. The long range clinic is super nice if you want to get into the sport of long range shooting. (CLICK HERE).

If you want to get into multigunning, the Richmond Rod & Gun Club (RRGC) is a predominant club in Nor Cal. I am a Range Officer there, and I am holding an "Intro to Multigunning" class on the 2nd week of March (Saturday, March 9th) if you are interested. (CLICK HERE). Scroll down in the News/Info section.

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 02-12-2013 at 6:03 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 5:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, lemme pick thru and digest all of this!