Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Ruger SR22, failure to eject on every mag w/ Winchester Xpert HV

I just got an SR22. Reading the web reviews I thought it could "eat anything."

I'm running low on my usual copper jacketed Federals, so I broke out a box of Winchester Xpert HV (lead HP bullet) and I got 2-3 FTE on almost every magazine. (That's a failure to eject.) It looked like the case was getting stuck in the chamber, but when I pried with my pocket knife it didn't appear to be stuck hard, it simply wasn't grabbed by the extractor.

I thought maybe the gun was just stiff, so I gave if the "lube it till it drips" treatment but it didn't help. The only thing that did help was to lube all the cases with Rem Oil prior to loading & shooting. That one thing seemed to make the gun almost 100% reliable.

I'm going to chalk it up to bad ammo, although my 15-22 like it, burped, and asked for more!

I noticed that the spent cases had shiny spots all over them, as if the chamber was a little rough. Just in case it wasn't only the ammo, I scrubbed the chamber with a brush coated w/ Flitz when I got home. I also honed the face of the hammer and applied some lube since I noticed it's the main source of resistance as the slide moves back after firing.

I also noticed that I couldn't force the extractor to grab the case by shoving the slide forward. The recess next to the chamber (into which the extractor fits when the slide is in battery) appears to prevent the extractor edge from going behind the the rim of the case! It is as if the only way the extractor will work is if the round was properly picked up when feeding from the magazine.

Anyone else see something similar with this gun?
Old 02-11-2013, 2:44 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
I just got an SR22. Reading the web reviews I thought it could "eat anything."

I'm running low on my usual copper jacketed Federals, so I broke out a box of Winchester Xpert HV (lead HP bullet) and I got 2-3 FTE on almost every magazine. (That's a failure to eject.) It looked like the case was getting stuck in the chamber, but when I pried with my pocket knife it didn't appear to be stuck hard, it simply wasn't grabbed by the extractor.

I thought maybe the gun was just stiff, so I gave if the "lube it till it drips" treatment but it didn't help. The only thing that did help was to lube all the cases with Rem Oil prior to loading & shooting. That one thing seemed to make the gun almost 100% reliable.

I'm going to chalk it up to bad ammo, although my 15-22 like it, burped, and asked for more!

I noticed that the spent cases had shiny spots all over them, as if the chamber was a little rough. Just in case it wasn't only the ammo, I scrubbed the chamber with a brush coated w/ Flitz when I got home. I also honed the face of the hammer and applied some lube since I noticed it's the main source of resistance as the slide moves back after firing.

I also noticed that I couldn't force the extractor to grab the case by shoving the slide forward. The recess next to the chamber (into which the extractor fits when the slide is in battery) appears to prevent the extractor edge from going behind the the rim of the case! It is as if the only way the extractor will work is if the round was properly picked up when feeding from the magazine.

Anyone else see something similar with this gun?
I've never had that issue during over 2000 rounds of ammo. However I have not used that particular Winchester ammo. I have fed my SR22 with a variety of non-copper washed ammo without issue. No issues, no leading.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
The only way that it works, is if you use it as intended, ya don't say?

Rimfire guns and being picky with ammo is just a fact that you have to deal with. The mark could be a burr in the chamber, could also be the brass just hitting something on it's way out.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:47 PM

Perhaps try different ammo? I used to be under the impression that even revolvers could eat anything. Turns out my 617 hates LRN. Go figure.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:50 PM

Never had an issue, give ruger a call. There support is the best.
Old 02-11-2013, 5:46 PM

Although I have not shot any Winchester Expert HV ammo in my SR22, I noticed the same phenomenon with the extractor you have described.

I manually loaded a spent .22 shell casing in order to dry fire the weapon. I noticed that upon retracting the slide, the extractor had not grabbed the rim of the casing. Several times I tried cycling the slide manually and it would not pick up the case. As you noticed with your gun, the extractor would not get behind the case to grab the rim. I used a small screwdriver to manually extract it.

Later the same day at the range I had no problems whatever with the extraction of fired casings. In fact, shooting my usual (and now coveted) CCI Minimags the operation of the pistol was flawless.

My thoughts are that you just got ahold of some bad ammo and that your gun is fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

I won't run Winchester HV in any of my 22's. It causes all kinds of problems like ftf, fte, short stroking. I can run anything else without issue, just the Winchester stuff gives me problems.
Old 02-11-2013, 6:55 PM

I've heard of issues with non-jacketed ammo on the SR-22. However, in a couple cases, it seems that the issue went away after breaking in of the pistol.

I had a similar issue with Remington thunderbolts the other day on mine. I had 2 50-round boxes. The first 50- no issues. On the 2nd box, lots of FTF's. Went back to winchester 333, and had a couple FTF"s, but after a few mags, back to flawless operation.

I am just going to avoid non-jacketed ammo for a while. Another option I've heard is that some people polish the feed ramps. Don't know if that will help with your problem, but you may want to try.

In the meantime, I have plenty of Federal 550 and Winchester 333 that the pistol shoots with no issues, so I will continue to use them until I have a couple thousand rounds down the pipe. Maybe then I'll try some non-jacketed ammo again.

Good luck- it"s a great pistol.
Old 02-11-2013, 7:05 PM

Ammo, I was shooting Win 22Xpert on Sunday and had quite a few ftf, fte and low reports with that ammo. Alot of the bullets you could twist in their cases. Shot both guns on friday with different ammo and they both worked flawlessly.

Last edited by spitter3; 02-12-2013 at 2:17 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM

This may be a bit of a stretch but check the barrel screw in front of the trigger.

I recently purchased a SR22 and put about 3000 rounds through it without any problems. Then, one day I was getting failure to feed and ejects like crazy. No change in ammo that was running fine 3000 rounds prior. (CCI, Winchester Super X and Federal Bulk). I Tried maybe 4 magazines worth and couple not get any clean feeds/ejects. I decided to give the gun a good cleaning and when I popped the slide off the frame, the barrel came with it. Apparently at some point in the day the barrel screw came out and my barrel was free floating in the slide.

After some research on the web, it has been noted that some of the barrel screws were coming loose without the use of loctite. Unfortunately for me, I didn't catch it until after the screw was gone and lost.

I gave Ruger a call and the customer service agent was kind and fast to send me a new screw/washer. It seems she was familiar with the issue as I didn't have to do much explaining about the problem. First she asked what ammo I was using and even went so far as to recommend CCI stinger for future use. Once I let her know I was missing the screw entirely she asked if I wanted to send it in for repair, or for them to mail out the parts. She also mentioned that I should use a tiny bit of blue loctite. I made the call early on a Monday and the replacement parts were at my door on Thursday. Since then I've probably used another 1000 rounds and have had maybe 1 FTF and a a couple FTEs.
Old 02-12-2013, 4:27 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Five_Three View Post
First she asked what ammo I was using and even went so far as to recommend CCI stinger for future use.
Interesting that they recommended Stingers for the SR22. Shortly after purchasing mine I emailed Ruger and asked if it was OK to shoot Hyper Velocity ammo in the pistol and they replied with, "High Velocity Only". Good to hear that Hyper Velocity is OK in that gun.