Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-01-2013, 8:27 AM
Banned

Default What's up with Orange County?!?!?

Something appears to have changed there very recently. They are calling in people who have been denied and inviting them to apply again. During the interview for the re-application, they won't reveal what has changed (if anything) or why they are reaching out to people they have denied and inviting them to come back in and re-apply.

Anyone have insight in to this? What changed? Are they loosening up their pretty stiff requirements to get a license?

I'm asking on behalf of a lot of folks I know who live in OC and would like to apply. I'm lucky enough to live in San Berdoo where it is easy to get a license.

Anyone know what's going on?
Old 02-01-2013, 5:04 PM

Perhaps this has something to do with it:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=620435

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 02-05-2013, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
They are calling in people who have been denied and inviting them to apply again.
Where are you hearing this?
Old 02-05-2013, 3:06 PM
Banned

Default OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantstudien View Post
Where are you hearing this?
From friends of mine who are unlucky enough to live in Orange Country. A few of them have been recently denied, then out of the blue, got a call to come back in and start over from scratch.

They have to pay another set of fees and fill out another application, but the words spoken and demeanor of the staff at the SO appears to suggest that they are hoping to get these people approved on the 2nd go around.

It would appear that something may have changed and in the estimation of the staff at the SO, whatever this change was, warranted them reaching out to people inviting them to re-apply.

In the interviews, the SO staff have been very helpful and seem to want these to be approved.

Just wondering what (if anything) has changed.

I have a few other friends who would like to apply, but would like to have some more information before I encourage them.

They are reporting that it's going to take at least 2 months before approval or denial is given, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

It would be a cruel joke just to re invite them back and denied them and just collect the fees.
Old 02-05-2013, 7:11 PM

Take a look at the recent lawsuit against the Sheriff of Orange County and the County of Orange regarding the 2nd amendment violations in the new rules and regulations for CCW.

Orange county already banned open carry. The regulations made it impossible to carry unless one had a CCW permit. (their thinking here is that by saying one must have a CCW, they are not in violation of 2nd ammendment rights). However, the sly foxes that they are...they restricted ccw's to those THEY deem should have them. In essence, we must write a letter identifying why we feel we should have a ccw, describing how our job or career puts us in harm requiring us to carry a firearm. Just putting "Self-defense" automatically is a disqualification. Which falls to the 2nd amendment. Hence there is a lawsuit regarding this matter.

I think whats going on now, is they are scrambling to try and show they are not arbitrarily denying applications anymore so they can look good for the lawsuit.

Just thinking here...my opinion at least as i live in the OC.

http://michellawyers.com/mckay-v-sheriff-hutchens/

Last edited by JSThinker; 02-05-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM

Donate to the sunshine initiative!
https://store.calgunsfoundation.org/...ips-s/1817.htm

They could use a boost right now

Last edited by FoxTrot87; 02-05-2013 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Removed case link due to previous poster
Old 02-11-2013, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
Perhaps this has something to do with it:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=620435
I was going to update that thread but Calguns won't let me since the thread is over 140 days old.....
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
I was going to update that thread but Calguns won't let me since the thread is over 140 days old.....
That popup tells you 'if you really want to do this, check the box and go ahead'.
Quote:
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
|_| I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-11-2013, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

I was beginning to think everyone forgot about OC
Old 02-14-2013, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That popup tells you 'if you really want to do this, check the box and go ahead'.
Thanks Librarian.......I learn something new here every day!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

OP here with an update. It sounds like the change is In fact the lawsuit.

My friend spoke with them again and was told that they were reviewing past denials looking for ones where the good cause was materially the same as others that were approved. For those that were, they were reaching out to the applicant inviting them to reapply.

Unfortunate that it took litigation, but they appear to be attempting to normalize their requirements.

It'll still be a few months until he gets word. I'll report back on this as I gain new information.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Shouldn't they have to come up with a reason for you not to carry?

OC good casue statements.... here I come..
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-28-2013, 9:06 AM

Wouldn't it be a better idea at this point for us not to apply, and for those called back to reapply not to? If OCSD proves to the court they are issuing to those with appropriate "good cause" statements (read those with certain careers, or threats against them) the court may very well rule in favor of OCSD. However if we don't apply or reapply they will have nothing to show the courts but the countless number of denials, even to those with "good cause". Even if Hutchens were to issue to a select few to win the case whats to say she doesn't revoke them after the case, or more likely not issue them again when they are up for renewal. I believe it is in our best interest to keep the number of CCW holders low in the counties in which there are lawsuits already pending. This way the courts are given more reasons that we need to move to a statewide shall-issue model.

These few licenses the Sheriff may issue now are the low hanging fruit... If we can be patient and wait there is a chance that everyone (not just those who can produce a really convincing good cause statement) will be given the chance to get one.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Sounds to me as if they are window dressing for the lawsuit and any attendant media that goes with it. The County of Orange is the epitome of the "insiders club." I doubt they care about LTC - they (the County Supervisors, etc. who have aspirations for other elected offices) care about not losing a 2A lawsuit.

And I don't think the Sheriff cares at all.
Old 03-03-2013, 3:35 PM
Banned

Colt, I think you are probably right. They claim that around 1000 a week are applying. That's a lot of people. My friend reported long lines and all were walk ups. He had an appointment and was called in.

I'm just trying to understand and help my OC friends. Fortunately I live in S Berdoo county which is easy.