Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-07-2013, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Default Attention Disabled Veterans!!! Have you been mistreated by your VA Hospital Staff?

If so, then please notify the joint commission, in addition to writing your legislators, and other government officials.

You can e-mail the joint commission here: complaint@jointcommission.org

MODS: Please feel free to move, if necessary, and make "Sticky", if possible.

Last edited by CEDaytonaRydr; 02-07-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 9:26 PM

I dont mean to be an jerk or anything, but as you know us veterans are not the most trusting of people do you have a site or resource center we can check out before randomly sending our complaints to you?

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 02-07-2013, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

jointcommission.org
This would be my guess
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laabstract View Post
I dont mean to be an jerk or anything, but as you know us veterans are not the most trusting of people do you have a site or resource center we can check out before randomly sending our complaints to you?
As a fellow veteran (and victim of the VA's substandard medical care), I understand completely. For more information, call this number: 1-800-944-6610

However, you cannot file the complaint over the phone. You have to either mail it, e-mail it, or fax it; it must be written...

...and yes, the website is: http://www.jointcommission.org/
Old 02-08-2013, 8:30 AM

Thank you so much for the information looks like a great service.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM

I used to work for the VA doing background investigations. they dont care about the joint commission, congress or anything really. One good example is the joint commission requires identification to be worn by all employees that states their job like M.D. R.N. etc... well the only folks that even get R.N. on their CAC cards are those covered by NNU MOU's. do they have the ability to comply with JC? yes. do they care? no. how bad is it? well at the VA west los angeles since security lets in anyone wearing scrubs and doesnt check ID more than once doctors who dont work at the VA and those impersonating doctors treated patients with the full assistance of the nursing staff.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM

oh and your legislators don't matter much either as they have no authority over the VA, VA OIG has no authority either. they can both investigate all they want but neither can do anything. Each director has a full staff dedicated to nothing bu responding to the letters they receive from congressmen. they deny everything and it usually ends there.

The god honest truth is the only people at the VA who care are the doctors and some of the nurses. the nurses run the joint and make the big bucks like the administrators and the doctors are usually working 3-4 other hospitals 18+ hours a day. Allot of the doctors are also providing their services under the WOC program or Without Compensation.

oh and its gets much much worse, who wants to take a guess as to how many employees are convicted felons, sex offenders or have an otherwise very unsatisfactory background. My facility even hired nurses that had been fired for drug abuse and hired staff convicted or raping children...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 AM

Instead of going to the Joint Commission for matters concerning service you received at a VA healthcare facility. Each VISN (VA region) has their own customer service departments staffed with people whose jobs are just to handle those sorts of matters. They are located at the main hospital for each region. You just call the main number for the VA hospital you use or main hospital connected to the outpatient clinic you use and the operator can transfer you to their extension. Or each VISN has a Patient Advocate office staffed with people specifically the address care customer service concerns.
If you file reports through outside bodies such as Joint Commission and it doesn't pertain to something criminal or something resulting is injury or death its a good chance they will take your report send it to whatever level person at your VA, then turn around and assign it right back to your VA's customer service/patient advocate anyways.
So I'd suggest using that local resources before going outside of the loop to get the same result. Like I said though, it is necessary at times depending on the problem/severity. If you do feel the need to file with Joint Commission its often better to give the patient rep a chance to fix it first because if anything it will add validity to your case that the VA indeed did not fix the issue and that you did bring it to their attention.
You can also find your VA region's patient representative/patient advocate and their room location/phone extension readily available on every VA region hospitals webpage. i.e. San Francisco VA.. http://www.sanfrancisco.va.gov/patie...merservice.asp

Also you local county Veterans Service Office is a resource for getting things moving and advocating for you and coordinate resources to help fix the problem. People simply do NOT utilize this resource nearly enough, not only for patient care complaints but matters regarding compensation and pension claims and benefits. CA Vet Service Representatives have a lot of outlets to a lot of people that can get results inside the system.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
Instead of going to the Joint Commission for matters concerning service you received at a VA healthcare facility. Each VISN (VA region) has their own customer service departments staffed with people whose jobs are just to handle those sorts of matters. You just call the main number for the VA hospital you use or main hospital connected to the outpatient clinic you use and the operator can transfer you to their extension. Or each VISN has a Patient Advocate office staffed with people specifically the address care customer service concerns.
Speaking from personal experience, the patient advocates are utterly worthless. They have no "teeth"; all they do is make phone calls, and waste your time.

I'm sure there are other avenues to complain about poor service at your VA hospitals but the Joint Commission is one of them. You'll have to use every avenue possible, if you want results.

In regards to the VA not caring, that's going to be true either way. They've got their cushy little GS positions that they can't be fired from, so they're not going to care, regardless. However, the more people that find out about how bad the vets are being treated, the more traction we will gain. It's a textbook example of the failure of socialized medicine. If the vets are getting treated this bad, imagine how bad a single payer system will be in this country!!!