Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Default Pregnant spotter

So I just found out on Friday that my wife and I are expecting our first child. She's about 8 weeks along. She calls my shots for me at the range and has really become indespensible to me in this capacity. Oh, yeah she loves to shoot as well. I'd be willing to go out to BLM land to get away from all those short little barrels at the range to reduce any noise and concussion from all other guns but my own. Are there any risks anyone might hip me to?
Old 01-13-2013, 8:34 PM

As a physician there is a real risk of damaging your baby's hearing as amniotic fluid will transmit the sound. We had our first a few months ago and found out last year right when I was starting to shoot so I poured over the research and decided that it was not worth the risk. It was not until last month that my wife finally got to shoot some of the guns we have been buying these past coupe months. As a new dad trust me you do not want to risk this. When you have your baby you will have enough to worry about don't add the risk of permanent hearing damage to the mix. The best/safest thing though it will also be the hardest will be to have her take a 32 week break from shooting. I know I know it sounds horrible but having something be wrong 8 months from now and knowing you did not do all you did to prevent it will tear you to pieces. Awesome job on asking though you are definitely thinking right!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for posting Ortho. Really appreciate it doc. Everything you said seems like sound advice. I wanted to shoot more to take my mind of things; both of us really. It's our first (and probably only,we're both 37) kid. I got an M1A just as you have and she enjoys going a few rounds with it as well. I'll train my little brother to glass me or just go by myself and be slower about it. Like you said, it's not even remotely worth risking it! Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

My wife had a miscarriage after we went shooting. Its was a week or so later, so I can't say that was the issue, but she will not be following me to the range when she becomes pregnant again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry for your loss Hoshnasi. I don't even know what I was thinking even considering taking her. I wish she didn't like to hang with me so darn much. Certainly it's the things I do and not my personality!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You also run the risk of lead exposure. You should be far more vigilant with a pregnant wife and once you have children keeping lead contamination in the house minimized.

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standa...ers-guide.html

Quote:
YOU CAN TAKE IT HOME WITH YOU

High levels of lead dust in firing ranges can settle on the bodies and clothes of employees and shooters. The dust can then be carried to their cars and homes, where it can be a hazard to their children.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss Hoshnasi. I don't even know what I was thinking even considering taking her. I wish she didn't like to hang with me so darn much. Certainly it's the things I do and not my personality!
Appreciate the condolences. It happened a while ago, like you we didn't even think about it until it was too late!

There will be plenty of time to shoot after the ten month waiting period! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 01-14-2013, 1:18 PM

Lead exposure would be my main concern. Also, the hearing can be damaged. My wife only once went shooting with me while pregnant. She wasn't showing and we didnt know. The range we went actively blocks all pregnant women from shooting.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
You also run the risk of lead exposure. You should be far more vigilant with a pregnant wife and once you have children keeping lead contamination in the house minimized.

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standa...ers-guide.html
Thank you for the excellent reminder. When my wife was pregnant and I would go to the range I would immediately take a shower, change clothes, and place the dirty clothes straight into the washing machine so as to not get on anything else. All range related items were kept in our spare bedroom. Due to leads effect on intelligence and the order of magnitude greater exposure risk for children now that we have an infant I continue to do the same thing. As we would all acknowledge it is not worth the risk. My wife had a great time shooting for the first time (took the G34 out) and just picked up her own (G19). We are picking up her LWRC this Friday and she can't wait to try it out. Shooting will definitely be a family activity for us but we will always take the proper safety precautions and the sooner we all get in that mindset the better time we will have enjoying this wonderful exercise of our Constitutional rights.
Old 01-14-2013, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

May as well be cautious.
Old 01-23-2013, 7:36 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Caution is always good, but this question is not well researched (yet).

See for example http://gorole.gunownersresource.com/..._and_pregnancy

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...nt_officer.htm

http://radiology.rsna.org/content/257/3/802.full

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...pregnancy.html

http://gunnuts.net/2011/09/07/shooting-pregnancy/

http://armedpregnancy.blogspot.com/2...pregnancy.html - this one has much more info about the broad topic of guns and pregnancy

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-05-2013, 6:48 PM

Really good article on this very subject! http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...pregnancy.html
Written by a nurse that shoots.
Old 02-06-2013, 9:23 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

My wife and I just had our first child as well. She has been itching to go to the range, and I feel strange shooting without her. The best thing I could think of us scrubbing the hell out of guns and having her dry fire them to retain muscle memory. She was rather happy about that, seeings how it took me several hours to get her guns as clean as possible. It's not the same, but it does help with the urge to do something gun related and takes her mind off the baby for a brief moment.

I spoke with my gunsmith, who has six children with his wife. He had a different perspective, and is a bit old school. His kids are with him at the range, picking up brass and helping him with stuff when he's out testing guns and such. His wife, also a shooter, shot as well, loves the fact that she can shoot with a suppressed weapons to prevent any hearing damage. I wish that was the case for all of us, but the powers that be watch too many movies and feel that anyone with one is a hitman or terrorist.

Congrats on the baby Jarhead714, Hoshnasi, I'm sorry to hear about the unfortunate turn of evens, hopefully the causes were not shooting related. Great info on this thread, thanks for posting!

Jerry