Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-03-2013, 4:50 PM

Default Chrono Stage at Major Matches.

What is the consensus of having a chronograph stage at sanctioned matches?
Is it a waste of resources?
What percentage of major matches run a chrono stage?
What percentage of shooters are found having low performing rounds?
How do you administer the chrono stage to be fair to all shooters?
Does IDPA encourage chrono stages at major matches?
Would competitors rather have one or two extra stages instead of the chrono stage?
Old 02-03-2013, 5:23 PM

A chronograph is a requirement at all level 3 matches, and recommended at levels 1 & 2. We really shouldn't need a chronograph stage, if the requirements say a 165 pf is required, we should be able to accept the word of the shooter. I wonder how that would work out? What do you mean by fair? All the chrono stages I've been through seem to be fair. An official comes up to you as you shoot, takes the ammunition from a magazine, puts it in a bag with your name then you meet them at the chrono stage, hand them your gun, then they do their thing. Of course I'd like another stage, but then, I'd like to have another stage, even with the chrono stage

I don't know about IDPA, since I don't do that
Old 02-03-2013, 6:23 PM

I think it's a very good idea to have one in place at any level 2 or higher match. It's unbelievable what some folks will do to place better IME, even at level 1 matches.

Not a large proportion of competitors even attempt things like this, but it does happen when there are prizes and/or any level of glory available.

Some folks even fudge minor. Every edge you can get makes a difference in Production division

Division sandbagging is sort of common too!
Old 02-03-2013, 6:55 PM

Keeps everyone honest.
Old 02-03-2013, 7:11 PM

Last year and Golden Bullet in Richmond one guy in my squad was shooting Open and did not make major with his reloads.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:21 AM
Banned

Chrono checks are just another rule of the game, same as division rules, holster rules, etc. Because minor and major power floors exist, there is a chrono. Besides the time it takes to do the chrono check is nothing compared to stage times anyway. Local matches are not representitive of major matches. You will see if you ever go to a major match.
Old 02-04-2013, 7:04 AM

chrono is essential to any match where there is a prize table in my opinion because cheaters, cough cough, i mean gamers will try to get every advantage they can. and it truly is a huge advantage to be shooting powder puff loads.

i've seen people not make major at every major match ive been to. my rule of thumb is that you have to get a PF of 170 or so at home to guarantee with the change in elevation, pressure and temperature wherever youre shooting that you will make major.

i shot 172 at home and made 167.5 at nationals last year. scary!!!

i think the best system is what they do at nationals. all the RO's on every stage get 10 rounds out of a mag on your belt after you finish shooting a stage all at the same time. its still possible to cheat but at least it makes it that much harder for people to do so.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Didn't Athena Lee not make major at the USPSA nationals? Honest mistake presumably but it definitely keeps people not only honest but not riding the line too hard. Given that it's easy to set up a chrono so that it's on the optimistic side and that other people would just get lazy and probably never chrono at all it's a good thing.

I've only been chrono'd twice I think and it was really no big deal. They pulled some rounds out of my bag, shot a few, sent me on my way. I don't remember it taking more than a few minutes.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
i shot 172 at home and made 167.5 at nationals last year. scary!!!
I chronoed 173 at home and almost thought about lowering it a tad.
Chronoed in at 165.1 at the MG nationals after 6 fired rounds.....
Old 02-05-2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Didn't Athena Lee not make major at the USPSA nationals? Honest mistake presumably but it definitely keeps people not only honest but not riding the line too hard. Given that it's easy to set up a chrono so that it's on the optimistic side and that other people would just get lazy and probably never chrono at all it's a good thing.

I've only been chrono'd twice I think and it was really no big deal. They pulled some rounds out of my bag, shot a few, sent me on my way. I don't remember it taking more than a few minutes.
The powder she uses is inverse temp sensitive. The hotter it gets, the slower it goes and vice versa.