View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
No, not at all. I have a serious concern that the attitude that you learned could get people killed. You really should give quite a bit of thought to what you said and realize that if you really believe this, that you have a serious problem:

Address this. You will NEVER be lost or at risk to die if you carry the 10 essentials? Really? Do you realize just how foolish such an attitude is? Do you really need to be told all of the things that can go wrong?

Do you really need stories of real life where things happened and the person did not survive because they did not have simple survival skills? Oh, I know, a bear will never destroy your camp when you on a day hike. Do you know of anyone who has died in the wilderness?

You could address the other issues I raised, but I suspect you have nothing, which is why you responded how you did.

Oh, with respect to Jtree, was that just the Nav training? Or was it a backpack?
Calm down. The OP asked about navigation training in the SoCal area, WTC and the Sierra Club is a very reasonable option. You trolled this thread about primitive survival skills. Nobody was talking about bivouacs or doomsday prepping.

The joshua tree trip is a combination exercise in navigation, backpacking, and rock scrambling, now goodbye. Try spending your energy in building something positive instead of being Mr. Negative.

To the OP, I apologize for any digression of your thread, another option to learn some navigation techniques in SoCal is this:http://losangelesorienteering.org

I've never been to an event so I won't chime in on it being good or bad, but it looks interesting!