View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfield_Grizzly View Post
I am liking this thread, I still like the spokes and wheel design

But I have seen people with a 20 acre setup like yours, build a 15' mound about 50' in from the property line, then build a fence around the property line. They brought the driveway in along the back of mound and made it slightly maze like so that there were plenty of choke points. They planted trees along the top of the mound and on the outside, I am assuming this blocks the view but allows defenders room to manuever.
That's a HUGE amount of dirt to move which is not something that happens quickly and not at all with just that Bobcat. That berm will also require constant maintenance to keep it from washing away with the rains. I have seen one good storm carve out entire new access points in a dirt berm. Which is part of why the military adopted the wire mesh reinforced cardboard box format.

Unless you have enough people to CONTINUOUSLY man and overwatch that entire berm and it's approaches then you have simply provided any attackers with cover and concealment for them to get danger close. That's why the military erects guard positions with machine guns to be able to rake the approaches right up to the wall between each post. What they can't cover they defend with pre-planed, on-call fire missions which I don't see happening here.

Trees or other plants will also allow what might otherwise be a too-steep-to climb berm to be negotiated by grabbing them for support. Shrubbery has another impact on an effective defense in that it will require even more defenders to man the berm due to the shorter lines-of-sight/fields-of-fire it creates. To say nothing of the myriad of sniping locations they now can utilize amongst the trees/bushes,

Once the attackers are on top of that berm they also now control the high ground which makes any further attempt at defense within it moot. The term fish-in-a-barrel comes to mind.

Bottom line, a berm/wall might make people feel good about their safety but it is a death trap if there aren't enough defenders inside it.