View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 8:37 PM

Default 300 Blackout - Build Questions

Couldn't see the point of 300 Blackout in CA before, but after further thought, I see the light now. Anyways, I won't build this for a while (or maybe the answers will convince me to not get one until I leave CA), but have a few questions:

Eventual goal is to have a suppressed 300 blackout, ~10" barrel. Plus suppressor for a total length of ~15/16". Will be shooting mostly if not all subsonic, not sure on the exact bullet or load yet. It looks like I'll be going for a 1/8 or 1/7 twist. Not going to concern myself with a suppressor yet in CA.

1. I believe an AR pistol can be converted to a SBR with proper paperwork later on? If so, I believe the only way to buy a pistol AR here is to buy the complete pistol via SSE or can I just buy a lower and register it as a pistol (and will I need to bring an existing upper in for barrel length purposes etc.)? Or would an 80% for an AR pistol be OK with eventual conversion to SBR?

2. I believe I can still swap uppers between lowers freely provided that I don't have a vertical grip?

3. Is it better to buy a complete upper or have one built? I would prefer building via barrel swap on an existing upper but it seems like 300BLK can still be finicky at times. The upper already has an adjustable gas block already on it, so I'm guessing it'd only need a new barrel, gas tube (and w/e peripheral accessories I pick)?

4. Any other suggestions or recommendations? Also I'm guessing spring and buffer weights are something that will have to be experimented with (intend to use carbine length)?

Mods: Move to pistols thread if needed.

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 07-07-2013 at 8:40 PM..